Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - BWB8771

Pages: [1]

Thanks for the suggestion - as that applies more to the display aspects of the search service, I'll give it a try when I can get search itself working.

Hmm. oddly/interestingly, Windows Search is not visible in the GUI add/remove Windows Features NOR is the Event Viewer category "Microsoft-Windows-Search" present!

I have done this a couple of times
dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"SearchEngine-Client-Package" (with /norestart AND rebooting)
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"SearchEngine-Client-Package"

Thank you for the suggestion.

Not from an elevated PoSh prompt, but from the legacy CMD prompt,
I've run the /checkhealth + /scanhealth, as well as even running the /restorehealth against the Win11 upgrade *.wim
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:%sources%\install.wim

and then running SFC /SCANNOW

all to no avail.

Unfortunately, no.

Thanks for checking back!

Thank you the suggestion.

I use the incredible CATE script (info below) a couple of times a week to keep things tidy on my machine, but I checked my machine's %TEMP% stats: 136 files, 31 folders / 495 MB size on disk.

Company updated my Dell laptop running Win10Ent to Win11Ent. Windows Search was borked from the moment I first logged-in the new Win11 instance.

I had moved my search db to a second internal SSD; during the Win11 upgrade the drive got marked read-only. Eventually had to restore to a Win10 backup, put Windows Search db back to default (verified it was working), then mark second SSD as 'offline' and then go through the update again.

Windows Search is still broken.

The built-in troubleshooter yields an idiotically hilarious result (see attached).

Have been through many different approaches, including:
dism /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"SearchEngine-Client-Package"
dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"SearchEngine-Client-Package"

Getting these errors when running the Troubleshooter:
0x%08x (0x80070003 - The system cannot find the path specified. (HRESULT : 0x80070003))

0x%08x (0x80070660 - The Temp folder is on a drive that is full or is inaccessible. Free up space on the drive or verify that you have write permission on the Temp folder. (HRESULT : 0x80070660))

DataDirectory =%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\
DefaultDataDirectory =%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\

Via ICACLS I've verified permissions look the same as those on a computer whose WSearch service is running.

Really, really, don't want to do a clean Win11 install, and 3rd-party search apps aren't an option in my environment.


P.S. This is cross-posted from one I created on Reddit - only respondent was one that assumed I wasn't experienced (I am!), and whose only thought was to re-image my machine.

Pages: [1]