Author Topic: Computer shuts down while running Rescue USB  (Read 6664 times)

Offline philetus

• View Profile
Computer shuts down while running Rescue USB
« on: October 10, 2014, 05:58:00 pm »
I had a suspicion and ran AVG rescue on a USB drive.At about 66% finished the computer shut down.I ran it on the other two I have and both came through ok.I tried to reinstall the bios (from the desktop) which I've done before and the computer shut down.I had to go into Bios and reset two settings before it would boot back up.Does it sound like I have a virus in the Bios?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Computer shuts down while running Rescue USB
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:32:48 am »
No, very, very few viruses hit the bios (The bios cant access anything windows is doing, so no benefit to have virus there). It sounds like it may have been a simple corruption in the settings in the bios or possibly a weak power supply.

Shane

Offline philetus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:47:56 am »
I ran the rescue usb again while holding the laptop air intakes in front of a window AC and it was able to finish. It found 6 problems and healed them. I was then able to flash the bios with a newly downloaded bios from Acer.Then when I rebooted, Check Disk ran and replace a ton of orphan files.The Bios doesn't same the same as it was before this happened.In Bios, I can't access below the passwords. Like Secure Boot Mode,Erase all Secure Boot Settings, Select a UEFI File, Restore Secure Boot to Factory Default. I think I was able to access these before, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:16:12 pm by philetus »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »
Possible heating problem, but is it the drive or the cpu or the motherboard that is over heating?

I havent used a temperature program in a while now, so not sure which one would be best to work. On my own system my asus motherboard is amd chipset and video card so the ati control panel drivers gives me the temp info for everything. Not sure on the 3rd party ones, been to long since I needed one lol

Shane