Author Topic: Great job & File permissions  (Read 5616 times)

Offline cblowers

• View Profile
Great job & File permissions
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:16:49 am »
Hi Shane,

First...I used your company to repairs the Windows Firewall on my wife's computer and it worked great! Thanks!!

Secondly...during that process, I chose to have the file permissions and registry changed, and ever since then, I have been worried about what happens to all that information that I know you now have (or had) access to. It's waking me up at night!
Does that stay changed, or is it rechanged back to the way it was? And do you still have access any time you want?

I'm thinking...why the !@#$ did I do that??  I'm sure you understand and maybe have heard this before. And I realize that, if you were dishonest, there is no way that you would tell me you have it, even if you did...understand?

And also...in looking at my file permissions, I notice that the "owner" of system file access, etc. is shown as "TrustedInstaller"...what does that mean? And in the case of my wife's computer, it doesn't appear that it can be changed.

Perhaps it would help me if I understood the process better...can you please do that for me?

Thanks Shane...I appreciate it!!
Craig

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Great job & File permissions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:56:20 pm »
My repair tool uses this file from Microsoft subinacl.exe to set the permissions (You will see it in the files folder with my program). It doesn't grant access from the outside or anything and is a tool from MS themselves :-)

So no need to worry. I found out that Microsoft's own tech support is using my repair tool now! That made me smile big time lol

TrustedInstaller is the system account in Windows and is the owner to a lot of files and reg keys. This is on purpose by Windows :-)

Shane

Offline cblowers

• View Profile
Re: Great job & File permissions
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:06:29 pm »
Thanks Shane...that helps!