Author Topic: Volume Shadow Copy Service -- Repair tool did not repair  (Read 17863 times)

Offline wtl1

• View Profile
    • WTL Trading
Volume Shadow Copy Service -- Repair tool did not repair
« on: April 27, 2013, 10:42:02 pm »
Hello Tweak King --
Ran into this problem before. More informed now, but no less inept at solving.  See attached error message.

The VSS Repair tool didn't repair the problem.  Any other ideas are most welcome.

Tom
WTL

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Volume Shadow Copy Service -- Repair tool did not repair
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 03:48:05 pm »
My repair tool currently doesnt mess with the vss writers. A lot of backup programs install their own and so I dont want to remove them.

I have some other repairs for vss, try them out and let me know which if any of them works for you :wink:

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,2.html

Shane

Offline wtl1

• View Profile
    • WTL Trading
Re: Volume Shadow Copy Service -- corrupted by other backup program
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:47:28 pm »
The culprit was Seagate backup software that came with the external hard drive.  I foolishly installed the software and it duly corrupted VSS.  Most frustrating, uninstalling the backup software didn't restore VSS.  So I was forced to do a repair/upgrade/re-install of Windows 7.  That repaired VSS, but the process is like killing a gnat with a sledge hammer.

Did the "upgrade" before seeing your response.  So don't know if the other VSS repair tools would have worked.

However, I have to believe I'm not the only Windows user who's corrupted VSS writers (and, with it, disabled creating restore points) with fancy new backup software.  If you can repair VSS with an easy tool (anything easier than re-installing Windows 7!) after it's been corrupted by other backup software ...

WTL

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »
A lot of times simply removing the reg keys fro those writers will get it working. I just dont have that part of my tool as you can imagine ticked off people when there backup software wont work lol

Shane

Offline wtl1

• View Profile
    • WTL Trading
Re: Volume Shadow Copy Service -- backup software
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
Fwiw -- Seagate responds to corruption of VSS writers caused by their software (though, to be fair, I've also had Cobian Backup cause the problem):

Thank you for contacting Seagate Support.

I do apologize for the problem you had with the VSS. We are aware that programs can corrupt the VSS.
Unfortunately, there also seems to be something with Windows updates that will also corrupt the VSS as well as some of the other services.  [is this saving face or legitimate?]

We do have some other backup software that you can use with the drive if you would like. I have not ever seen this other software mess up a VSS. Not going to say it can't happen but it is very unlikely.

WTL

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:54:58 pm »
[is this saving face or legitimate?]

Sounds like saving face lol

First they say it is something with windows updates but then says they have other backup software that doesnt do it lol

Shane

Offline wtl1

• View Profile
    • WTL Trading
Re: Volume Shadow Copy Service -- Seagate_Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:38 pm »
Indeed.

They gave me Seagate_Manager.exe as backup s/w that "should not" corrupt VSS writers.  I'd like to try it, but the possibility/pain of having to repair VSS with a Windows 7 reinstall/upgrade (again!) isn't worth the risk.
WTL

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:53 pm »
You can always remove them if they do :-)

Solution #7

I have seen VSS writers of other backup software manufacturers cause system instability and errors.

Open the Registry Editor (regedit) as administrator and check the following branch: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Providers

Underneath that key you should only find Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider 1.0 and no other VSS writer. If you do find another, it may be a residue registry entry of a previous backup software installation. You can save the entry by exporting the entire registry to a file (right click and select Export) and then it's safe to delete the entire branch entry underneath HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Provider.

Then reboot and try again running vssadmin list writers to confirm the problem has been resolved.

Shane

Offline wtl1

• View Profile
    • WTL Trading
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:38:50 pm »
pic of that 'branch' attached

Good grief. Is that all?  Much easier than the arduous solution provided by MS Tech Support.

WTL

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:40:01 pm »
Should do the trick most times :-)

VSS only knows to use 3rd party writers from that reg section.

Shane