Author Topic: RECORD THROUGH MIKE IN AUDACITY IN WINDOWS 7 DO NOT WORK  (Read 20318 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
RECORD THROUGH MIKE IN AUDACITY IN WINDOWS 7 DO NOT WORK
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:10:31 am »
hI, i am using audacity for free recording thro mike, my songs and playback for improvements. it was fine working in windows xp, but in windows 7 , i could not record, the recording process is being shown, but when playback no sound heard. I have tried to install realtek audio drivers from the web, but it shows stereo mix and some extra fittings. The default settings have been maintained. But i could not hear sound.
       The other music thro mpc is playing without any problem. Would you pl give some solution, sir,
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Samson

• View Profile
Re: RECORD THROUGH MIKE IN AUDACITY IN WINDOWS 7 DO NOT WORK
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:40:48 am »
Hi jraju,

I use Audacity a lot, maybe I can help you?

You say that you have recorded successfully, and presumably have a nice waveform graphic to show that? If yes, then I would check that you have chosen the correct playback device for Audacity to use, ie your current sound card?

I have highlighted where you change this in the attached screenshot. Hope that helps you out.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:03:48 pm »
Hi, I attach the settings iget when i open the audacity in windows 7s. There was no problem in xp os regarding this software. But the problem is what should be the settings to be adjusted to get the recording done. I am hearing other musics thro the speakers. But recording in windows 7, i do not get any graphic stream that you mentioned , Previously it was bluish graph. Now i am getting some green graphic stream movements, when i record, but no sound.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:25:53 am »
So no blue waveform graphic means you have no input sound to record. Check in your advanced settings on your audio card that the mic/ line in is not muted or the level is too low and that you select the appropriate input within Audacity, as shown below, you may also need to adjust the input level using the slider control too..

If all else fails, then head over to the Audacity forum, http://forum.audacityteam.org/  They are a very helpful, and friendly bunch, I'm sure you'll get answers there. Good luck.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:24:57 am »
Hi,,thank you for response. But i find no creative blaster and all that. I did downloaded drive from 4shared.com. In windows 7, you donot get information as quick as xp. I think the xp is the best microsoft system os. It helps all other softwares unlike windows 7. Coming to your point, i did go through their options in windows 7 , and it is a little bit confusing, they say stereo mix  and all that which i could not find in windows 7 driver updates automatic. Even sound card particulars are not clear in windows 7. If we go the device manager and sound, then there is one driver and it is high definitiion audio driver and that the software driver owner is microsoft. There is no stereo mix, which audacity forum says is a must. What to do

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 05:37:00 am »
The "Creative Soundblaster" entry is specific to my machine, that is my default soundcard. The screenshots that I have posted are to illustrate the locations where you should be looking for your soundcard.

I do not think this is a driver issue, as you have sound. It is a hardware configuration issue. I am not familiar with Win 7, but you need to find options in your advanced sound settings options for playback/ recording and enable microphone and adjust levels accordingly.

Have you looked in the dropdown menu for "Stereo Mix" ? See attached screenshot.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:02:47 am by Samson »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 05:52:14 am »
Hi jraju,

It seems others have the same problem as you, see this thread on the Audacity forum. http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72405&p=212903&hilit=microphone+win+7#p212903

A work around seems to be under Preferences:Devices Changing the interface Host to Windows WASAPI instead of MME, may be worth a try for you? Or wait and see what feedback you get on the Audacity forum to your problem.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:38 am »
Hi, I am enclosing the sound card particulars as shown in the speccy, the extract of which is texted and enclosed.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »
Samson thanks for helping out on this :wink:

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »
Hi, Samson The link you gave directed to some web pages on some other language which i could not decipher

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 04:00:23 am »
Hi, Samson The link you gave directed to some web pages on some other language which i could not decipher

Yeah know it's en francais  :wink:
But if you look at the post 2nd from the bottom of the page that I linked to, there is an english translation, and a helpful screenshot.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 06:07:51 am »
Hi, Samson pl see this link
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4485&start=0
 I have gone through the link posts and tried all sort of things, but still could not come to a conclusion, which method i should use to record. Could you please say that stereo mix should be enabled or not. Please kindly let me know the settings, for audacity 2.0.3 version. I aslo saw a youtube video, but the menu, in the Edit, preferences it shows , are not present in my edition. I know that you are using xp, there i had no problem. I installed the latest drivers from original realtek, as intel has stopped support services for my mother board model. I have now got stereo mix everything, how to set it to get the sound. Should the mik be inserted for mike jacket or line in the green one for recording. Secondly, if you could send some screen shots as in the link, i will be happy.I know your sound card may be different. But my system has realtek soundcard, which i used for xp, but which is not getting reflected in the sound card details.

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 09:00:11 am »
Seems like Audacity and that soundcard don't play nicely together  :sad:

But I'd use the microphone in the correct input socket, usually marked, red/ pink in colour. I've attached screen shots for my card but they should be the same for yours.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:06:17 am by Samson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:37:53 am »
Cool thing about these posts Samson, I am making a game right now and I have Audacity, but haven't used it yet till I am not ready to polish the sounds yets.

You will have saved me some research time :-)

Thanks. :wink:

Shane

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 09:53:55 am »
Cool thing about these posts Samson, I am making a game right now and I have Audacity, but haven't used it yet till I am not ready to polish the sounds yets.

You will have saved me some research time :-)

Thanks. :wink:

Shane

:cheesy: Audacity is a great programme, I use it a lot, mostly for getting old vinyl and cassettes into a digital format. It offers all sorts of great editing features, and is generally really easy to use, and of course it's free.

But in jraju's case he seems to have a soundcard that is not wholly compatible with Audacity, many posts about it over on the Audacity forum. Works great for me with my trusty old Soundblaster card.  :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 09:56:14 am »
So far I have only used it to lower the wav file for the background sound in the game to lower the file size. Since I didnt need ti to be such good quality. I haven't had to use it much more than that yet. But I will be adding more sounds and such soon at the last part of the game so I will be getting my hands into it more soon :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 07:25:29 pm »
Hi, Nice posts both by Samson and Shane. You have enclosed your preferences. I have realtek card, issued with mother board cd by intel. They do not support now. The sound for other songs play well that means there is no defect in sound settings. Next, the link i gave you relates to the older versions of the audacity software and hence the edit and preferences menu differ in the new version. I have downloaded the latest drivers for realtek from its own source , especially new one for win 7 and vista, presuming that the issue would have been taken to their notice. No reply so far from audacity forum.
        Samson, i want your opinion on the settings i will insert the mike in mme as usual. Regarding creative sound blaster, shall i choose the realtek,  (Will it not take automatically when plugged in the correct socket). I do get  the same settings of sound in my realtek main screen). I selected the 2 stereo speakersStill recording could not be done . I have done all the updates from microsoft . 

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:39 pm »
Hi, Shane and Samson,

pl find enclosed 3 screenshots. Pl say whether i have selected right options with realtek. what are lame and ffmpeg in the libraries. Does that need downloads along with audacity

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 01:20:50 am »
hi, Shane , the audio recording and playback solved with the latest download of audio drivers from realtek com. Lots of thanks to them for making available audio drivers for windows 7 only recently, when the older model of famous intel, has stopped interactive and download support for some of the older model audio drivers supplied along with mother board. i just plugged in mike and audio jack as usaul for any other computer and opened audacity. The settings , i will send to users of this forum for win 7 users.
I am also enclosing a pdf file which gives best help in recording everything thro audacity. Thanks Samson and Shane for their continued support in finding ways and means.
The pdf help link is given below
http://ctlt.jhsph.edu/help/views/tutorials/audacity/GuidetoUsingAudacity.pdf
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:29:00 am by jraju »

Offline Samson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 03:23:45 am »
Hey jraju, good news that you've got it sorted and now you are up and running  :smiley:

Re:LAME, you will need this if you plan to export any of your projects in MP3 format.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=install&i=lame-mp3