Author Topic: Execute processes remotely has stopped working.  (Read 19974 times)

Offline punyn00b

• View Profile
Execute processes remotely has stopped working.
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:49 pm »
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

That's the error message I get after every single script that Windows Repair tries to run.  Any ideas as to what might  be going on?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Execute processes remotely has stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:32:34 pm »
The program runs each bat file with psexec.exe
Which will run the bat file under the system account.

I have to do this because of the stupid windows trusted installer  :tongue:

Is it the psexec.exe that is crashing or the cmd.exe that it calls?

Shane

Offline punyn00b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »
cmd.exe appears to be popping up.  Here's what I've got in the command prompt:

PsExex v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Connecting to local system...

And that's as far as it seems to get.  At that point I get a window that says "Microsoft Windows" on the title bar and it gives the following error:

Execute processes remotely has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium x64 on the machine in question.  Have tried running with normal permissions and running as administrator but I still get the same thing.  Is it necessary to have a working internet connection in order to use this program?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:19:34 am by punyn00b »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:02:47 pm »
Looks like a few others have had this problem
http://forum.sysinternals.com/psexec-crashing-in-windows-7_topic25173.html

What antivirus are you using? Have you tried disabling it?

Shane

Offline punyn00b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »
Avast.  I disabled it before I even got into Windows Repair though because I guess it didn't recognize the program and tried to sandbox it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:50:12 pm »
I use avast myself :-)

Can you run psexec.exe from a cmd window without any trouble?

I will get you the command to try if it does and see if we can find out why it is crashing. I am Googleing "psexec.exe crashing" but not finding anything on it.

Shane

Offline punyn00b

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:18:54 am »
Hmm, sorry about that.  The computer I was using freaked out on me for some reason and I had to do a system restore.  Anyway...

Yeah, when I navigate to the directory that psexec.exe is located in (cd c:\program files (x86)\tweaking.com\windows repair (all in one)\files\psexec.exe in this case) it looks like it would probably execute if I knew the right command parameters to use and had a working internet connection (I don't, that's one of the things I'm trying to figure out).  This is what I get:

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

PsExec executes a program on a remote system, where remotely executed console applications execute interactively.

And then after that it lists a bunch of different switches and stuff that you can use.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but just judging by the description of what the program does it looks like it's pulling these batch files out of the cloud somewhere and without an internet connection I'm pretty much just spinning my wheels until I get that issue solved.

I've got a feeling this is probably going to be a clean install situation.  My brother's laptop broke on him and he pulled the hard drive out of it and put it in another laptop (different make and model, different hardware, etc...) so the hardware profiles and drivers are probably all kinds of messed up.  Just kinda using it as a guinea pig to see if there's anything I can do to get it working right before I have to admit defeat, back everything up, and start fresh.

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 06:29:52 am »
I've got a feeling this is probably going to be a clean install situation.  My brother's laptop broke on him and he pulled the hard drive out of it and put it in another laptop (different make and model, different hardware, etc...) so the hardware profiles and drivers are probably all kinds of messed up.  Just kinda using it as a guinea pig to see if there's anything I can do to get it working right before I have to admit defeat, back everything up, and start fresh.

No wonder you are having issues with it.  You are lucky that you were even able to boot the thing up!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 09:54:19 am »

Driver issues can cause a lot of problems, and that's something the windows repair doesn't mess with.

You could do a repair install as an option to the fresh install as well.

And then after that it lists a bunch of different switches and stuff that you can use.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but just judging by the description of what the program does it looks like it's pulling these batch files out of the cloud somewhere and without an internet connection

Dont need an internet connection :-) My program writes out the bat files and then runs psexec.exe on the bat files so they are ran under the system account. On XP I didn't need to do this. But because of the trusted installer in Vista and newer I had to. Otherwise the repairs would cause problems as only parts of them where allowed to touch the system while the rest was blocked by the trusted installer. So running it as the system account was the answer and now the repairs have full access :-)

Shane