Author Topic: Windows Repair Issues  (Read 6721 times)

Offline Piper

• View Profile
Windows Repair Issues
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:17:58 pm »
Hi! First, let me say that I have used Windows Repair a number of times now on more than one computer and it has worked very well!

However, I just used it on my mom's computer (Windows XP SP3) and it ran into error after error after error... the computer is not in a good state at the moment.

As it ran, it hit several errors relating to .exe files (regsvr32.exe, for example) and lots of .dll files. I kept getting errors such as “The application failed to initialize properly" and "windows image not valid" (both these kinds of errors would pop up repeatedly; I'd click OK and another would pop up before I had time to do anything else). The program then crashed entirely and closed.

Now the desktop has a blank grey background, the word "Start" is gone from the Start button (as is text from the Start menu), all exe files are generic exe icons (). Folders will open, but programs won't run. I cannot do a system restore or a registry backup, as neither are working. I am afraid to restart the computer at this point for fear that it may not boot properly, if at all. I thought it would be a good idea to ask if there is something I can/should do before I try rebooting or booting into Safe Mode.

Any thoughts on what happened, or what I might be able to do to fix it? Please help...

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I should also mention the reason I ran the tool in the first place. My mom's computer has been having trouble booting up sometimes; it will get to the desktop, seem to be finished loading everything, and then freeze. It only happens occasionally, and a reboot usually fixes it.

EDIT: I decided to just try shutting it down and restarting it again. It booted fine, and seems to be functioning normally. I have no idea what happened to cause this issue, but it seems to be resolved for the moment.
Thanks again for this wonderful tool! I shall not hold this mishap against it; I know even the best can have a hiccup now and then. I do wonder what might have happened to cause this, though.  :thinking:

Also, I apologize if this was posted in the wrong place; I wasn't sure if it should go here or in Computer Help.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:35:22 pm by Piper »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:59:13 pm »
You posted in the right spot :-)

Her system sounds like it was running out of resources. My repair tool actually puts a reg tweak on the system to increased the allowed resources for the system, it looks like it might have helped after you rebooted and the tweak took effect :-)

So that tweak should help things, next thing to do is to check the drive for bad sectors and also check how many things see has set at startup. To many background programs will eat up resources.

Shane