Author Topic: Didn't work but I appreciate the software.  (Read 8232 times)

Offline MikeHawthorne

• View Profile
Didn't work but I appreciate the software.
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:25:07 am »
Hi

I wasn't able to fix my problem but I do like the software.

I've been trying to fix my Windows Firewall in Windows 8 ever since I got my new computer.

About a week into it, while installing all my software, about 90 programs, I got the message to turn on the firewall when I booted up.

I tried, but no matter what I do it always refuses to start and the event log always shows the reason as "Access Denied".
This has been going on for months now, I finally gave up and installed Comodo's firewall, (it works better than Microsofts but Windows will not let me download anything from the app store without Firewall Services turned on).

I've tried every fix I could find and you software was recommended to me on the Windows 8 forum where I am a regular contributor.

The reason that your software didn't work may be that Reset Registry Permissions is blocked in Windows 8.
Maybe if that gets fixed at some point I can give it another try.

Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't work but I appreciate the software.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:37:16 pm »
I had to disable the reg permissions because of the awful app store in Windows 8 is one of the easiest things to break in Windows.

They rushed it out the door because they want some of that app store pie apple and google enjoy. Such as if a simple folder is missing the app store wont work (Instead of just making the folder it needs) or as with my reg permissions if you even touch certain keys the app store wont work, some sort of DRM I guess. So since MS lists nothing about what the app sotre needs or uses I had to disable the repair since I couldnt find what reg keys it didnt like touched.

Also if your firewall just stopped working and you started getting errors then you might have an infection that is killing the Windows firewall. So worht a scan.

Try tdsskiller.exe and malwarebytes anti rootkit (Their root kit tool, not their normal scanner), just to be safe :-)

Shane

Offline MikeHawthorne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:36 pm »
Hi

Thanks for the response, my computer is so clean it squeaks, I'm pretty sure that what originally caused the problem was installing Net Framework 1.1.
I needed it for software I was running.

It created and additional user and the firewall stopped about the same time so I don't know for sure but it's my best guess.

The app store is the only reason that I'm trying to get the firewall service running you can't use the app store without it.

It's more that I can't stand having things that don't work then it is that I need it.

I run Classic Shell boot to the desktop and pretty much ignore the fact that I'm running Windows 8.

I have way too much stuff installed to be worth reinstalling Windows to fix this.

Maybe when Widows Blue comes out I'll do it then.

Thanks again.

Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:23:34 pm »
One thing I plan on testing after I release my game in a week or so is to make a list of the permissions for each key in Windows 8 on a default install. Hopefully that will allow the reg permissions to work as it will put them to what Windows 8 wants them to be.

Shane

Offline MikeHawthorne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 08:07:20 pm »
Hi

Just came back to say that I did, finally, after several months of trying get the Windows 8 firewall to work.

Thanks to Randy at the Windows 8 forum who suggested that I compare the permissions for the registry entry for the firewall file with the permissions for the BFE entry.

I changed the preference so that the firewall settings matched and after rebooting the firewall finally started working.

This was a long haul but I'm happy to report that the app store now works and I'll be able to download Windows Blue when the preview starts.

Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:34:31 am »
My reg permissions repair would have fixed that. Dang.

I am going to have to try to find a way to get my reg permissions to work in Windows 8 without breaking the app store.

I will see what I can do :-)

Shane