Author Topic: Kill Frozen Programs Query  (Read 8664 times)

Offline Baldrick

• View Profile
Kill Frozen Programs Query
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:20:29 am »
Hi there

Quick query about Kill Frozen Programs?  Assume that to work, ie, to be able to use Global Hotkey the program must be running?  But is there anyway to make it start in background and/ or minimised to the notification area so that one just has to type the Global Hotkey rather than start the program first when needed...which one might not be able to do because the system is frozen?

Or have I just missed something key here?

Thanks in advance.

Baldrick

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Kill Frozen Programs Query
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 12:25:15 pm »
As I say on the product page

This little program I made with my fellow gamers in mind. There have many many games that I have played that will crash or lock up. The problem is when they would do this the game window would stay open, and I couldn't get back to the desktop. Nothing I did could get the desktop to come back, even ctrl + Alt + Delete wouldn't get the task manger to open. This is because the game was set to be on top of everything else. So the only option was restart the computer.
Now with this tool I can hit the Global Keys on my keyboard I set, the program will loop through all the processes on the system killing any that are not responding. Now I can get back to the desktop when a game crashes, and no longer have to reboot :-)

I made it with games in mind. Before you start your game you start the program. When you hit the keys the program looks at all the processes and any marked not responding (Like in task manager) is killed.

If you wanted it in startup just make a shortcut to the exe and put it in the startup folder in the start menu. Then go to the properties of the shortcut and tell it to start minimized :wink:

Shane

Offline Baldrick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »
Hi Shane

Thanks for the quick reply.  Appreciate what you say about why you wrote this app (I did read the information on the relevant page).  My reason for asking even though what you wrote is that I am at present having to deal with a PC that occassionally freezes for no appparent reason and so this could be useful to me to getting out of the freeze without having to reboot and therefore loose some of the evidence, etc.

Will try what you suggest and hopefully that will help me unfreeze and then diagnose the issue I currently have.

Regards

Baldrick

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:42:38 pm »
Good luck :wink:

Shane