Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 6460 times)

Offline KevIndy

• View Profile
Windows 8
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:35:30 am »
I am having a problem with my PC. Everything is fine when I am on it. When it sits for a few hours I come back and the start menu doesn't work, the Windows 8 sidebar doesn't work, and I cannot open a web browser. Ironically, my Outlook still works, except that it can't launch a webpage out of it. After a reboot everything is fine. I thought maybe it was the power settings so I set it to never sleep and just turn the monitor off. That did not fix the problem. It doesn't do this every time it sits idle for awhile. It seems to be random. I've run the tweaking software to no avail. I've run Super Anti Spyware, Malware Bytes, and scanned for a virus. Nothing. Any ideas?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:28:37 pm »
Sounds like you may have a program running in the background with a resource leak, and it is sucking the system dry, which would keep other things from working till you reboot.

First thing to try is safe mode with networking. This way only what is needed is loaded. See how it does there. If it is fine that way then the fun part is disabling the programs at startup and trying to find out which one is doing it. :wink:

Shane

Offline KevIndy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »
Thanks Shane! It is repaired. It turned out to be a toolbar that I didn't pay attention to downloading when adding some software. Don't know which toolbar, but I deleted them all and it hasn't happened since!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:09:31 am »
Good to hear :-)

Shane