Author Topic: Is my Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N Adapter a piece of junk?  (Read 11130 times)

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
Is my Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N Adapter a piece of junk?
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:18:03 pm »
Hi!

Again, I am back because of another issuer with my computer (PC)!!  :teeth:

I own a Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N PCI Adapter with Dual-Band (Device Manager calls it exactly this). About five or so times a day, my connection to the internet gets to be out right annoying! I can launch Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera.....doesn't matter. I can sit there for 30 seconds or something like that   :sleep:  with nothing coming up in the browser. Then, I get a message saying something about how it can not connect..... :omg:

My problems escalated after I received a new modem/router from Comcast/Xfinity. The modem/router is a ARRIS TG862.
Well, I called Comcast...they did all of their "what ever they do", and in the end, everything from their side was perfect. Even outside of my house, the connection is all good. They told me that unfortunately, I might want to buy different network card.  :blank:

I did the "Repair Internet Explorer" program found on this site, and it helped for the next launch of Internet Explorer. After that, it was lame again.

When I click on my computers network link, I do see everything in my home network; Other computers, wireless printers, the stupid ARRIS modem/router......

I must mention, besides the Linksys Adapter that I have, Device Manager points calls out an "Intel(R) 82579V Global Network Connection". Is this part of my problem? Also, there is a "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" listed too. No problems with any of them.

When I do a speed test (www.speedtest.net), I get results that range from really slow to what is expected. I just now did a test on the computer, the results from a Palo Alto, CA site are: PING: 25ms, Download: .210 Mb/s, Upload: 1.375 Mb/s. Global average download from what Speedtest.net says is 1.73 Mb/s.

My house is not that large, and I am in a different room, but the speed has before been A LOT faster for downloading; My highest download test is 6.72 Mb/s.
I keep every electronic thing in the path of connection turned off to make sure at least there is no interference between the computer and the router.

Also, I have noticed, if I go the hard wire route, the computer does not recognize it. It still goes wireless. How do I get the "wired" thing going again?

By the way, I have the latest drivers for the Linksys adapter.

Could someone please help me with what is going on? If I have to buy a new card, that is fine with me. If that is the case, what is the best one there to purchase? I do not care what the price is....I just want this Internet connection to work correctly!!

I'm starting to not like PCs.......... :angry:

Thank you all in advance for helping me out with this!!

Best,
Mike
 :smiley:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:30:33 pm by jZildjianZj »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Is my Linksys WMP600N Wireless-N Adapter a piece of junk?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »
First thing to do in order to find out if the wireless adpater is cauing the problem is to take it out of the loop.

Disable the wireless card and hook your system up to the modem with a network cable instead.

How does it do?

If the problems go away then we know it is wireless. If the problems stay then we know it isnt wireless. :wink:

Also do you have any other systems in the house that use wireless and have any trouble? If your system is the only one having trouble with wireless and other systems with wireless are fine then this points to your system as well. If other systems in the house have trouble with wireless as well then it is the wireless in the modem.

Also keep in mind if you have any cordless phones that are 2.4ghz as well. If you use a cordless phone and it is on the same channel as the wireless it will cause the wireless to drop.

Shane

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »
Hi Shane!

One problem I have is, is that my system does not recognize when I have my system "wired". So, I can only go wireless. I used to be able to have it "wired", but am not sure what happened to where it does not recognize it....weird.

My wives laptop runs wireless, and she has no problem at all. My step-sons computer runs as "wired", and has no problems at all. We do have a cordless phone, but rarely use it. I'm not sure of the frequency  of it. Yes, all three of us have cell phones, but do not use them that much. Even then, the computers do not seem to be affected by them.

All three of us can be using the internet, and sometimes things run fine, but if there is anyone who is going to have any issues, it will be me.

Nothing else in this house is running wireless.

Any other thoughts? Also, why can't my computer recognize when it is being wired?

I have no viruses, or malware. For Malware, I use either SUPERAntiSpyWare and Malwarebyte's (not running at the same time), and run Norton Security Suite that comes with Comcast cable.

Thank you Shane!!

Best regards,
Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:41 pm »
It sounds like it is the wireless. But at the same time very odd you cant use your wired. Perhaps you disabled the wired adapter?

The first thing to do is to make sure you have the newest drivers for the adapter. If you do it woul dbe worth trying a different adapter to confirm if it is the adapter or the system.

Shane

Offline jZildjianZj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:07:27 pm »
Hi!

I do have the latest drivers. I may of disabled the wired aspect of it trying to get the "other half" to work correctly. I will Google that issue.

Ya know, when I got the card, it was great!! No problems....but as I mentioned before, once Comcast gave me a new modem/router, it all went to cr*p. Actually....that isn't true. A bit before I got the new modem/router from Comcast, the adapter was acting up. Ever since the new device was introduced, the adapter has been extremely moody.  :angry:

If you were to buy a new card, what would be your top three cards be to choose from? Price does not matter....because I know they do not go for an insane amount of mullah!

Thanks Shane!!

Best regards,
Mike

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:50:04 pm »
Linksys use to be top dog. Then Cisco bought them and made them their "cheap" series. Now Cisco is selling linksys to belkin!

I personally stick with netgear. Give them a try and see what you think :wink:

Shane