Author Topic: Printer Driver Install Error  (Read 66977 times)

Offline mal007es

• View Profile
Printer Driver Install Error
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:59 am »
Hi. I purchased a Brother DCP-J385W wireless printer to use with my desktop and laptop. Both are running Win7 Ultimate 64bit. The desktop computer installed the printer software with no problem, but the laptop will  install everything EXCEPT the printer driver. I have tried everything I know. I have spent nearly a hour on the phone with Brother support reinstalling all their software, all to no avail. They say it is an OS error. I finally tried your All in One program, and still no success. I get various error messages depending on how I am attempting to overcome the problem. The most frequent is error code 0x00000002. When I manually attempted to install the driver it reported "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it." I would also mention that I have attempted an install using a USB cable with the same results. One last thing, if I try an install using the USB cable connection, a Windows Update for my specific printer comes up. When it tries to install it fails with the same error code  (0x00000002). I have followed Microsoft's advice for dealing with this WU issue and that has made no difference ether. I have written to this forum as although the All in One program has not solved my problems, I feel that the operations it carries out can not be too far away from what is needed to solve this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
Re: Printer Driver Install Error
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:00:22 am »
0x00000002 is usually associated with an incompatible printer driver.  Are you sure that the driver you are trying to use is a Windows 7 driver?  Also, strange but I can't find much of anything googling this Brother model number.  It doesn't even show up with a search of Brothers website.  :shocked:

Offline mal007es

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:14 am »
Hi friedmonky
Thanks for your reply. Firstly, I must admit to being an idiot and mixing my old and new printer numbers together. The new printer is a DCP-J315W. Sorry about that.  With regard to the drivers, Brother Support confirm the drivers are correct (win 7 64 bit), and in any event I have already successfully installed the same package on my desktop computer running the same OS. If you have any other thoughts I'd be grateful. I've run out of ideas. My laptop came with the OS preinstalled. I was going to do an install upgrade using the OS disc from my desktop, but of course when I tried the disc is a different series to the OS on the laptop. So short of a full reinstall, which I don't really want to do, I've run out of ideas.

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:39:30 am »
This might be a stupid question but, have you checked to make sure the Print Spooler Service is running on the laptop?  Have you tried restarting the Print Spooler Service?  Are you trying to install the driver from the disk that came with the printer?  If so, what happens if you try and install the printer from Devices and Printers instead?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »
The print spooler is needed for driver installs of a printer. So defiantly check that. :wink:

Do you have trouble installing drivers of any other kind? Say a usb thumb drive, anything really or is the problem only with this printer?

Shane

Offline mal007es

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »
Hi
Thanks for your replies. I have tried with the disc that came with the printer that is marked specifically for this printer (DCP-J35W) and marked for win 7. I have also downloaded from the Brother website the Full Install package and their driver uninstall program. When I spent an hour on the phone with Brother support they insisted that I downloaded it all again. I then, under their instructions, tried again with the new downloads, and the installation disc. Same result. Everything loads up except the printer driver, and as I mentioned in the previous post, this all installed on my desktop computer with no problem.
I have checked that the print spooler is running, I have stopped and restarted the print spooler. I have tried to manually install from Devices and Drivers, and the program finds the printer on the network immediately, but the driver install stops with various messages about the printer driver depending on the port configuration that I have attempted. The most common message is "Printer driver not installed. Operation could not be completed. (error 0x00000002)." But also remember I am getting this same error code on that specific WU refering to this specific printer that appears if I try an install using a USB cable connection.
I wondered if it could be a obscure permissions issue which is one of the reasons I ended up trying Tweaking.com.
In answer to friedmonkey, no, it is not a stupid question, because someone out there might have an idea that I haven't thought of or is above my pay grade!
In answer to Shane, no, there is no other problem with any other device. I realise that this could point to the printer software, but I would stress again that it installed on my other machine (win 7 64bit) with no problem, and this intermittant WU  that keeps appearing and then giving the same install error code bugs me. This WU does NOT come up on my other machine.

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 08:39:04 am »
I'm stumped on this one.  Obviously, something in the OS or some sort of installed software is preventing the install of the printer.  Have you tried disabling all startup items (clean boot) and then tried the printer install? 
I think at this point I would do a repair install - that might correct this issue.  Notice I said might.  :wink:

Offline mal007es

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:54 am »
Yes, I've tried a clean boot. If I tried to list everything I've done, it would be like an excerpt from "War and Peace". Regarding the repair install see my previous post. Looks like a choice between a full reinstall or send anything I want to print to my other computer. Thanks for your thoughts anyway. If I find an answer, I'll post it on this forum for information. Cheers.
UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED.
I've just gone back on the internet and found this.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/p/19277153/20003162.aspx

The two files were missing from my laptop, so I copied them from my desktop computer, and the driver loaded straight away. The printer now functions 100%. Wish I knew what caused the problem in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:31:04 am by mal007es »

Offline friedmonky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 09:31:33 am »
Is this any help?  :undecided:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/cannot-connect-to-my-printer-operation-failed-with/d0bf6f14-0f45-4f51-af50-706cf10c92a3?page=2

EDIT - Glad you got it sorted out!  It's a mystery why the laptop was missing those files.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:34:13 am by friedmonky »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 10:13:36 am »
If your system is a factory built one I bet I know what happened.

When they make those machines they make 1 install then clone the install to all the machines. I am willing to be who ever made that clone build messed up and those files where missing :wink:

Shane

Offline mal007es

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:14 pm »
Hi Guys. Now that I know the answer, I have been able to search the internet asking the right questions. I don't profess to be an expert, but it appears that this problem has been occuring for a few years, apparently since 64 bit machines started appearing. I found a Microsoft article for a workaround for this problem as they suggested that some versions of windows 7 have files not installed that are also not supplied in third party software. As the copy of win 7 that I have WITH the files is an earlier version than the preloaded version on my laptop, it seems that Microsoft are removing, rather than adding files, as time goes on. Why am I not surprised. It also might be useful if Brother (and any other manufacturer) had a forum where they listed these problems and possible solutions as they came up.
"It's an OS problem, sorry we can't help" isn't really much use.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:36:17 pm by mal007es »