Author Topic: windows installer configuring menace advice  (Read 12056 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
windows installer configuring menace advice
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:32:05 am »
I have installed after uninstalling the ms office 2007 totally using msoft clean tool and then reinstalled.This i had to do to get some of the add on to work . While everything works fine, the configuring of msi installer of microsoft office is always annoying at the start up. As if it is trying to install something. I have tried all sort of ideas by msoft and other forums. Nothing could stop this behaviour
    As the last sort, i have gone to the windows installer services, in the services. msc and then disabled it to get rid of the problem. now the problem is over.
   Hi, shane, is this advisable. I do not need any updates for ms office or anyother program.
Would this do any harm to the computer, in installing some other products. Can i continuously disable it as i do not find any clue to the problem     
       Event viewer id suggets problem 1001, that some wisp and content not found and so on. Exact reason not known for this behaviour. Pl advise and also tell me how to clean the installer cache of any pending updates, which i would have opted previously. Pl exp reply
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: windows installer configuring menace advice
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »
Always do updates.

When I have problems with MIS installer popping up like that I use this tool to remove the troubling program
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Windows-Installer-CleanUp-Utility.shtml

Once removed from MSI properly I reinstall the program and it normally fixes it :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:01:10 pm »
Hi, Shane before i try this link let me know how to reinstall MSI. Is it different from Windows installer? Moreover, I find so much files in windows installer folder . What those files are doing there. Normal cleaning programs like ccleaner, does not erase those data. Are those necessary, will it overwrite itself.
              Kindly also let me know whether my action of disabling msi installer is a good thing.
                     Now there is no popup, because i disabled msi installer service in the services.msc
                       Expecting reply

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:12:01 pm »
It doesnt reinstall the windows installer. It allows you to remove programs stored in the Windows installer.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »
Hi, When i try to run the utility, microsoft office updates are being made. I do not want to update because, it is creating problem. Will the program first update then do the file cleaning. Please tell

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:42:26 am »
Uninstall office if you can, then use that tool to remove office from msi if it wasnt removed. Reboot and then install office fresh and then do updates.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 08:57:56 pm »
Thanks . I will try as you say.But when i use the installer for some other program , cleaning user dat from microsoft msi, the message i received was "this windows installer package is damaged. A program has not been finished as it should ". May it denote that the problem with the installer itself. As a try, i went to the registry of the installer and in the uninstall folder to see any data on microsoft office is there. I found about 20 entries listed in the uninstall folder of installer folder , in hklm and i removed all those things, risking of loosing ms office package altogether. But i could execute all programs in the ms office without any problem and without any updates. The updates from the site is posing problems, so i never installed updates . Instead as a security, i had not enabled another content copying malicious thro disabling help online in those programs. I am seeing so many persons , working safely with msoffice without any updates, with no problem. On reboot, the msi installer configuring does not come. But in the next refresh , it came back again. It seems to me that there is some bug in msi trying to install the updates from no updates available.
                When i click the msi uninstaller it shows, microsoft office plus as a separate program and also list individual programs like word, excel in the cleaning windows. Can i download windows installer from the available os.Pl let me know. I will try your procedure and also to completely delete the problematic user account after copying the data elsewhere. Thank you very and pardon me for queries of basic nature from me.
                   Sharing is joy, shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »
Finally i got rid of the menace by deleting my user account (problematic) and copying all the user files in the folder to the newly created administrator account. Now when i logged using the new account the installer does not configure any more. I could access all the microsoft office program, but only thing that i need to add on the add ins in the program. Thank you , this saved a lot of problem.
              how can i now be sure that msi installer for this new account is working. How to test, sir,by downloading any program in this account or only programs in windows like fixit. Pl thank you for all your advice.
             In doing the above, i lost all my favourite pages and the downloading history of the browser.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:26:52 pm »
In doing the above, i lost all my favourite pages and the downloading history of the browser.

All of those are stored under the user profile, all you have to do is copy them over :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:26:35 pm »
Hi , when  i tried to run one the program. windows installer error 1722, this window installer package is damaged. pl contact the vendor was the message i got.
          when  i type msiexec in cmd, the windows installer opens and there is no problem in it. I want to ensure that it is working . How to test. Yesterday, i downloaded java to the new user account. it worked well. Will that mean the installer is working. Or is there any method by which i could be sure that it is working .
            I copied all the user files to the new account at c: users, but in the process , the GOTD pgrms have become trial version.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 06:36:41 pm »
Yes the installer is working fine. There is a file for each program you install in msi. Sometimes some of those files become corrupt and so the install for that file gives you that error. But that doesnt mean MSI isnt working, it is :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 09:51:59 pm »
Even if i delete the office files individual files and ms office package files in the installer folder, the configuring continues. Moreover the file is not in ordinary format but in some coded forms. I went to each of these entries and found and deleted the office entries. It was separate entries, in the code format, and it all occupies in one single line coded language. Ms office cofiguring means that there are errors in those entries only. Can i delete these. Why it is having these entries even when installation of program got completed. I have also seen the uninstall folder which has uninstall exe in every program has the entries here.
            As i found that most of the GOTD are user specific, and it is created with GOTD gcd files, deleting the user profile as per msoft suggestion, led these programs to trial stages. There were some codes, which were missing in the new user account i create. I did the system restore and keeping the configuring problem.
               Thanks to know the msi is working.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 02:49:07 am »
I got relief from sfc /scannow. I do not what it did for this particular. the config occurred because, the trojan generic have deleted important windows system protected files in the microsoft shared folder by its evil design. Even user profile change would not fix. Sfc has copied the correct file from the repository in the computer, and i was saved.