Author Topic: Windows 7 Blue Screen Crash and Restart  (Read 16438 times)

Offline valleyserviceshvac

• View Profile
Windows 7 Blue Screen Crash and Restart
« on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:19 am »
I have been having a problem recently with the hated blue screen of death.  I have scanned multiple times using  McAfee, downloaded malwarebytes and scanned with that, and I even brought it into a computer guy and it is still happening.  I am pretty sure the computer guy downloaded the Tweaking.com AIO Windows Repair and tried to find problems using that but said it may work but didn't sound real confident.  He said he just ran HD diagnostics, deleted 10 GB of temp files and fixed 597 registry errors. 

Unfortunately it was fine for about a week but now it is happening again.  Not everyday yet, but it may as it gets worse.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything else I can attempt to do to find out what is causing the crashes?  Does the Event Properties as id Bug Check Codes and Parameters help? I can post those if needed.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 10:09:08 am by valleyserviceshvac »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 Blue Screen Crash and Restart
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 11:58:55 am »
I use this tool
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

It will tell you what most likely cashed the crash and help you to find where to start looking :-)

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:43:35 pm »
Thank you for your response.  From the reviews on facebook and other places, people really like the support you guys (I don't know if there is a team or if it is just you) offer.  I appreciate the lead you have given me already.  I am just trying head this off before it starts crashing a lot again!

I did read somewhere it could be a power setting issue, but I have no idea.  They recommended someone to change the Power Option from High Performance to Balanced (recommended).  I figured it couldn't hurt so I changed it to the Balanced setting.

If you feel like reading the crash report from the WhoCrashed app thing here it is:
My computer crashed this morning (Wednesday 10:45 am Central stf time and then 11 am again).

Here is the analysis:
On Wed 10/2/2013 3:44:49 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100213-21496-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0xA6A42, 0x3, 0xAC0EB)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 10/2/2013 4:00:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\100213-25396-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75B80)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x8D392, 0x3, 0x6E21F)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 10/2/2013 4:00:31 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x8D392, 0x3, 0x6E21F)

Thanks for taking the time! I appreciate it!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
It is just me :-)

I dont think it is a power issue. It is possible.

Here is what I found on the error
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559014%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

So it is normally caused by a driver. At the same time it could be 1 of 3 things.

1. Bad driver (Drivers tell Windows how to work with the hardware)
2. Bad Hardware
3. Not enough power to the hardware (This is where power could be an option)

Is there anything you are doing when the blue screen happens?

Also have you tried going into safe mode and see if you get the blue screen as well?

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 06:49:12 am »
Thanks for the ideas.  I am sure you are correct. 

On a possibly not unrelated note, I ran a Memory Diagnostic test and as it was doing the test on the middle of the screen it said it had detected errors (hardware errors if I remember correctly) and to view the results after the computer restarts.  Well the results don't just pop up obviously and so I googled and found out how to find the results by using the Event Log and click on the system, then find then type "memorydiagnostics-results". It never found any results, I searched all of the logs. I saw in the logs where the memory test started, but cannot find anything about results. So there's that.  I don't know if that means anything.

So other things I am doing up until blue screen happens, let's see: for the most part I have mozilla and IE open most of the day, I have outlook email going, quickbooks acct software, maybe Xcel if I am doing estimates.  But this is odd because I haven't had the BSOD in a couple days now.  But a couple of days ago in happened twice in 15 minutes.  I am sure I didn't fix the problem by switching that power thing, but who knows.

I am going to try and keep digging, because I am sure it still has background issues and will start crashing again.  I just find it odd that I cannot locate the results of the memory test.

Thanks again for your help!

Bryan
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:53:26 am by valleyserviceshvac »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 01:11:12 pm »
Having a bad memory stick will certainly cause blue screens, and random ones at that. Everything uses memory, so when the memory is bad you can end up with different errors and problems as it depened what thing is hitting that bad section in memory.

TO make sure it is just a bad memory stick use this tool
http://www.memtest86.com/

Use the boot cd option, boot off the cd and run the memory test there without Windows being loaded. If you do have bad memory check in side the computer to see if you have more than one memory stick. If so it is most likely only one of the sticks is bad.

Turn off the power and pull one of the sticks and then test the memory again. If it still fails swap the stick with the one you took out and test again and that is how you can find out which stick is bad. And once the stick is out, while you will have less memory, your system will still run and stop crashing and you can get some new memory added later :wink:

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 06:30:48 am »
Thanks, I will run that test this afternoon!

Thanks a lo!

bryan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 02:14:21 pm »
Let me know how it goes :-)

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:40:44 am »
So I ran the memtest86 overnight last night.  I have 3 1GB Kingston Memory sticks.  It found 4400 errors in about 16 hours.  So I then removed two of the memory sticks and tested the one in slot 1.  It found 500 errors in 40 minutes or so.  I then removed that one and tested the other two individually.  I ran 1 full pass on each and it found no errors. 

I can post screenshots if that helps.

I am assuming my next option is to purchase a 1 GB memory stick and call it good?  I don't know if it pays to try to fix repairs unless you know what steps I should take.

Is there a website you suggest to purchase that?

Thanks again for all the help!

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:40:15 am »
also, if I am to replace the module can i upgrade to a 2 GB one?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 02:34:20 pm »
Good looks like you found the bad stick of memory :-D

Also you could easily upgrade to more memory, and replace the current sticks. What motherboard do you have, or better yet look on the stick and give me a model number.

If it is a store bought machine let me know which model so I can look up what memory max it has. That way I can point you to either 2 2gb sitcks for 4gb total or 2 4gb sticks for 8gb total, just need to see what the motherboard will support.

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 05:55:53 am »
Absolutely, here is the information off of the modules (all three are exactly the same)
Kingston 1 GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600U
KTW149-ELD
5105160-1048
9995402-012.A00LF

I have Windows 7 Home Premium which I found has a limit of 16 GB.  Being as though we are a small business the max we would need (or want to spend) would be for 8 GB.

What RAM do you recommend? I have used newegg.com before, is that where I should buy it?

Thanks!

Bryan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 06:46:08 am »
I think I am going to go with the Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1339DS1S00 :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148543&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

What do you think?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:19:35 pm »
This is the one I currently put in my customers computers that I build, you will see a lot of good reviews.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144

But it is faster memory, so we just have to see if your motherboard will support that speed :wink:

Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 06:51:25 am »
I just wanted to say thanks again for all the help you gave me.  You helped me figure out that I had a RAM stick that had bugs. I removed that stick and used 2/3GB for a couple days waiting for my new memory to arrive and never have had the BSOD. 

I went from 3 GB to 8 GB.  I know that's probably not a lot nowadays but I am still excited.  And my computer doesn't crash! So awesome!

I also ordered 2x4GB sticks for our other computer at work, it was running on only 2 GB.  So all said and done we were successful!

Thanks a lot!

Bryan

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 01:46:03 pm »
Glad to help, and 8 GB will do you fine. I have yet to see a customer machines use more the 3gb or so of ram, so 8GB should do you good for a long time on that system :-)

Shane