Author Topic: check disk error message  (Read 6547 times)

Offline brit50

• View Profile
check disk error message
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:44:00 am »
I've owned this computer for 5 days and I ran your tweaking program and immediately it said "one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency".
I ran the check and did not get any sort of dialogue box explaining what the program discovered. Where did it go?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: check disk error message
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:28:19 am »
Hi, Chkdsk is checking the system errors. You have to allow the chkdsk , if the computer prompts. You could also do this by going to the command prompt and enter chkdsk /f/r mind the gap between k and /. The chkdsk will check and correct any possible errors in the system. It will check 5 parts and will reboot automatically.
             This program does not do any harm to the files. Rather it safes much of the files from being missing.Which program you ran. Tweaking.com has many programs. But let me assure that all in one tool definitely a boon to the common man and technicians. It is a tool in hand to use. You could restore if any problem come across . Did you create a system restore point as advised in the program.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline brit50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 08:06:59 am »
Thanks for the response.
I used all in one tool. After running  checkdisk I did not see any other info. Is there a log of what the program found or did the program simply do its work and fix the hard drive. I didn't know this was possible.
If the error message suggests the HD has inconsistencies it ought to, at least, confirm the diagnosis.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:39:04 am »
The log of the chkdsk may be found in the eventviewer, application logs, in winlogon. Please check the time you logged and you will find what did that chkdsk done in your system. Chkdsk /f/r will fix the errors and you can see what entries corrected in the log file, by clicking the winlogon. This you could easily get by selecting type to sort the data and select winlogon.
                        Chkdsk will try to repair the system file and if there are files that could not be corrected, you could as well copy from the source dvd, by using 7zip and copy the files you needed. I will give the link in my next post for how to copy individual files using the installation dvd or cd

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:26:57 pm »
chkdsk will save its log to the event viewer and you can find it there.

Windows will auto flag a drive that it needs to be scanned if it finds any problem with the file system. Such as a bad sector or if something simply needs fixed in the file system. That will happen if the computer wasnt shutdown properly and a file never finished writing and such.

In my repair program you can have it do a chkdsk check on the drive and see if it says there are any errors. You can even see if there are any bad sectors, if there is you need to get it replaced!

Shane