Author Topic: Problem updating to Registry Backup 1.6.7  (Read 10190 times)

Offline SA Jack

• View Profile
Problem updating to Registry Backup 1.6.7
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »
Hi Shane:
Having problems with Reg Backup 1.6.1 after updating to Win 8.1.  First attachment deals with problem locating the correct VSS service.  The second attachment deals with my attempts to update Reg Backup to 1.6.7. 

I love this program, even though Windows Reliability Monitor continues to show that I encounter an error every day it runs (reported on this forum some months ago).

Hopefully the new version will solve all my problems, I just need to complete the install.

Thanks Shane.   -SA Jack

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Problem updating to Registry Backup 1.6.7
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
Crashes and others where fixed in the newst version, so make sure to update to it. As to why it couldn't overwrite the uninstall.exe I dont know, make sure you ran it as administrator :-0

Shane

Offline SA Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:46:26 pm »
After sending my first post, I decided to manually uninstall 1.6.1, but I kept receiving error messages on a number of files within the Registry Backup folders.  They were supposed to be removed on next boot, but that didn't occur.  I was however able to manually remove the files via File Explorer.  I installed 1.6.7 and it appears to be OK so far.  I deleted my original scheduled task for Reg Backup that a created way back when the program first came out, hoping that a fresh task may contribute to a successful operation.  I did a manual run from within Task Scheduler and the program ran fine.  The test will be if the scheduled task runs tomorrow morning, and of course I want to check the Reliability Monitor to see if any problems are detected.

Thanks for the prompt response Shane.   -SA Jack

Offline SA Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 11:34:01 am »
Shane:
Sorry for the delay in replying, but after the update of Win 8.1, I'm having some issues with Windows Reliability Monitor.  However, I was able to see in Event Viewer that The Registry Backup Program continues to crash.  However, as before, the actual backup appears to be fine. 

I was able to find the Windows Error Report (.wer) for this mornings' running.  I'm attaching it as an FYI.  Hopefully you'll be able to determine what is causing this error.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »
Does it only crash when you have it run by a schedule or does it crash if you run it manually?

If it only crashes when run from the task scheduler do you have it set to run under the system account or the current user account?

Shane

Offline SA Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:15:51 pm »
Windows reports 2 instances of Registry Backup stopping each day.  However, as noted before, the actual registry backups appear to be complete.  So I question if there was an actual crash.  When I run the program manually, everything appears to go OK.  My scheduled task is running under the current user account.

I've attached the Log_Backup.txt of the backup run this morning.  It indicates everything was successful.  The Log_VSS.txt does not show any signs of a problem.  (if there's a keyword I can look for that would suggest a problem, let me know).

Thanks for your help Shane.  -SA Jack

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:47:52 pm »
As what was happening before Windows thinks it crashed when it closes itself. I dont know if it is actually crashing or not as I cant replicate it and no error message comes up.

When you have it run from the task scheduler do you have it set to run hidden, minimized or normal?

The last time I was able to get it to stop crashing because when it was set to run hidden the controls where not drawing like they wanted to since it was hidden, and when the program closes down it cleans up all the controls, which would then trigger the crash, but only when it was closing itself to begin with.

Shane

Offline SA Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:37 am »
Under "Action" the program has an argument to run "/auto" now, where in earlier versions it was noted as "/hidden".  Is that what you're referring to?  Essentially I've made no changes to the task created from within Registry Backup except for dates and times.

What about running as "system" as opposed to "user"?  Any reason to change?

Still haven't gotten the Reliability Monitor to provide any info since updating to Win 8.1.  I've cleared the Event Viewer logs and deleted a couple folders in \Program Data\Microsoft\RAC\(Published Data & State Data). 

Thanks again. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:36:17 am »
Mainly I just wanted to know if the program shows itself during backup or if the Window is hidden :-)

Shane