Author Topic: Cannot Troubleshoot Internet  (Read 16655 times)

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
Cannot Troubleshoot Internet
« on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:52 pm »
I received the error in the attachment when trying to troubleshoot what was wrong with my internet. I'm using Windows 7 x64 SP1. I installed a TAP driver on a VM to test it and found an unknown device on my physical system. When I uninstalled the unknown device on the physical computer, that's when the problem started.

I tried deleted the VM and uninstalling the program but I still could not troubleshoot my connection. I did a clean boot but that didn't work either. I also reinstalled the VM with the same OS and settings to try and reproduce the unknown device on my physical computer, but now the driver will not install at all (on the VM nor on my physical computer).

I disabled and uninstalled my AV but the error still occurred. I ran sfc /scannow but it didn't find any errors. I've even registering all of the dll files in my system folders but that didn't work either.

I cannot do a system restore because I disabled it. I did this because I noticed when I installed Windows, my computer was very slow. After running many cleaning and antimalware tools, I--somehow--decided to try turning off my system restore, which made my computer faster in a matter of seconds.

I checked my environment variable and it LOOKS okay. I don't really look at it enough to know what it should look like; however, it seems to be normal.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:12:34 am by Knightmare »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Troubleshoot Internet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
Is the Internet and networking still working ok?

I see the troubleshooter wont run, but what exactly is the problem that is making you run the trouble shooter?

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »
When I discover the error, my internet was running very slow so I decided to troubleshoot and got the error in my first post.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:30:07 pm »
"So go to control panel and look at the top left search box, Type env (you don't have to type the whole work environment) look down click edit system environment variables click yes if asked, look down the window that opens click on Environment Variables and check that the TEMP and TMP Variables are set to your C: drive, I don't remember the default so I set mine to C:TEMP, The default may have been C:WINDOWS\TEMP.  Please do not type C:\  the \ seems to cause a problem." extract from linked article
Please see this link for detailed solution
If changing to c:temp does not solve it you could as well change to the path it was in default
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/problem-with-windows-diagnostics-troubleshooting/d3b293c7-043c-4170-90ff-51f2be3645db?msgId=bb43b5f7-6744-417c-a47b-e229a7f300e5
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:34:55 pm by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »
FIXED! Wow! That is weird. Thank you so much!

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:12:07 am »
Unfortunately, I was misinformed. That did solve my internet problem, but I made my TEMP and TMP variable in my user environment set to C:Windows\temp. Now all of my user temp files are going to the Windows\temp folder. But when I change the variable for TEMP/TMP to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, I can't troubleshoot the internet. Anyone know what is causing this issue?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 04:40:47 am »
I thought that the solution worked for you. But you say that you are having problem in accessing the other files. It is now weird behaviour. This is microsoft article solution, that i  gave the link. But let me see any other fix it for it.
Please see the services, whether they are automated or in stopped stage.

Both BITS & CS need to be enabled, along w/ Windows Update Services.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service to be enabled
Cryptographic Services automatic
Please see if they are enabled.
If it is okay, then change the temp folder solution to the original position
This is one of the trial solution pl remember
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:12:14 am by jraju »

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:39:02 pm »
All of those services are running.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 07:50:02 pm »
I didnt know that about the temp folders, I simply havent run into it yet on a customers machine.

Maybe it is because I worked for 12 hours today on a bunch of servers and it is 8 PM and my head is about to explode, but I see one post you said your could and then your not. How are things right now?

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:15:32 pm »
Things were good but they went poorly. I installed an image from October 2. Everything was working fine, but when I updated programs that weren't updated and installed programs that I installed in November, the problem came back. I installed Java, Cyberlink PowerDirector, and the two new games for the Sims 3 with the patch. So I'm thinking it has something to do with a program that I installed.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 03:52:28 pm »
Does sound like it is one of those programs.

The best way to find out is to restore back to the image again, then install one program at a time and then test it. But thats a pain in the butt as well lol

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 06:19:44 pm »
True; however, it's more of a pain to do a complete reformat of the system and reinstall everything again.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 08:11:18 pm »
True, you could always try a repair install instead though as well as a middle ground :-)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:18 pm »
I did the repair install and it worked the first time I booted the computer but when I tried it a second time, it gave the same error.  :shocked:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 04:38:07 am »
Hi, Have you tried to look in to the event viewer , application to see what is the error message, that you get there. If you see the error id and search for it in the event id net, then there is a possible way , you could understand what went wrong. You have to specify, the source of error and error code in the erroridnet. Then you could probably, what is making this error to occur. There you may see some comments open probably giving you the cause and remedy, some, article no only for the subscribed members. If you search for the article in the microsoft, it is the same and you could find a fixit for it, may be. The link is
http://www.eventid.net/

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 06:49:08 pm »
I did the repair install and it worked the first time I booted the computer but when I tried it a second time, it gave the same error.  :shocked:

That makes it look like you have a program on your system that might be causing the problem then!

It worked after Windows repair installed itself, then after all programs loaded and did their thing the problem came back.

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 08:49:03 pm »
I know the cause of the problem! I was doing some customizing to my start menu in Windows 7 Manager. I made a few adjustments and had to restart explorer.exe with each change. After about the 3rd or 4th restart, the problem came back. Now the only question is how to fix the problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 02:58:58 pm »
Sounds like the problem will be inside the registry then.

Did you make a backup with my registry backup program before you did those tweaks by any chance?

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 03:15:17 pm »
I did, however, I didn't think it was a registry problem and deleted whatever was in the directory--i.e., the registry backup. :cry:

That doesn't seem like the problem though. Because when I did a repair install with the program installed, I was able to run the troubleshooter just fine right at startup, but the second time it would not work. This led me to believe that I ran the troubleshooter before the program could load its settings; therefore, when I tried to troubleshoot my connection the second time, it would not work because the program had loaded its settings.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »
And all the settings are in the registry.....

Unless the tweak program replaced some of the system files.

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »
So I reformatted my computer and copied all of my user data over from a backup that I made. I decided to change my username just because I didn't want my name on my computer (I already know it's mine), but when I copied the files over to my D: partition with my user information, it has an orphaned SID from my last username in the security tab. Would resetting the security settings using the Windows Repair Tool on the D drive remove this SID?

Offline vexx32

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2014, 04:55:46 am »
Probably not. It only grants permissions according to the information given in the tool, so any removal of permissions has to happen manually. If you can see it in the Security tab, you should be able to remove it from there too. Depending on the situation, you may need to take ownership, too. :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2014, 05:16:56 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, my wife had our baby :-)

Actually it should. I use a exe in the files folder that is from MS to set the permissions. While I dont remove any I do have it set to remove any orphans, which is one of the options with the exe I use. :-)

Shane