Author Topic: Windows repair not fixing the problem  (Read 7357 times)

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
Windows repair not fixing the problem
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:03:55 pm »
Shane, correct this on your initial post.... My goal is to teach and to help, and you wont learn if you do ask...

I have a problem with a Win XP machine. Its Windows XP Pro and 2GB Ram This machine had a problem with MS updates last year and your program fixed it and its been great. Just the other day I was using Firefox and all of a sudden the screen went to "Logging off" and I had to reboot. Since then I have a variety of issues. MS updates all fail and the system is very slow. I ran Malewarebytes and Superantispyware and Norton. Then your Windows repair. Now nothing is fixed and even if I turn off Norton product tamper protection I cannot run System Restore either. I tried to run the repair utility again and it keeps saying failed in the running log. I also cannot get the VSS to work.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows repair not fixing the problem
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:48:34 pm »
Shane, correct this on your initial post.... My goal is to teach and to help, and you wont learn if you do ask...
Bah! I hate when I do that. I read it like 5 times before posting to make sure I got the words right and my brain still read it wrong lol.

Thanks I fixed it.

I have a problem with a Win XP machine. Its Windows XP Pro and 2GB Ram This machine had a problem with MS updates last year and your program fixed it and its been great. Just the other day I was using Firefox and all of a sudden the screen went to "Logging off" and I had to reboot. Since then I have a variety of issues. MS updates all fail and the system is very slow. I ran Malewarebytes and Superantispyware and Norton. Then your Windows repair. Now nothing is fixed and even if I turn off Norton product tamper protection I cannot run System Restore either. I tried to run the repair utility again and it keeps saying failed in the running log. I also cannot get the VSS to work.

Very odd. First thing is lets make sure it isnt a hardware problem, did you check memory and also run a check for bad sectors on the drive yet?

Also if hardware is good have you tried combofix.exe yet? It is a virus removal tool, very powerful and not meant for normal scans but more for infected systems only.

Normally it and the anit rootkit from malwarebytes does the trick so far for me.

Shane

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »
Yeah I hate that too......

Is it ok to run the Windows repair tool a second time ? Was that a bad thing to do?
I failed to mention that I ran Memtest86 and all is well there. For bad sectors do you mean chkdsk? I did that too. I have not tried combofix. I guess thats next.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:10:25 pm »
I test my windows repair on fresh clean installs of Windows, its goal is to fix, which means you should be able to run it on a healthy system and nothing is affected, so you can run it again if you need to.

As for chkdsk did you run it with /f /r to make it check for bad sectors? If you did it would have taken it a long while to finish.

Shane

Offline BarneyFife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 03:54:01 am »
Ok,so here's where I'm at....I ran Windows repair a second time and thought it could have made things worse, that's why I asked.I did run chkdsk with the two switches. Now I tried combofix and I have a few questions. after I installed it when I first ran it it said that it could take up to 10 minutes or on a badly infected drive actually double the time ....well I ran it for awhille there was a blinking cursor for about 8 hours I didn't know if I should stop it or not there were no indications that it was running other than a flashing cursor and there was not even any activity on the hard drive light.  I finally stopped it and then ran it again. this time after a while the cursor stopped blinking. Again no indication that it was done or that it did anything. By the way the only way I could find to stop it was to reset the computer by holding down the Power button.
Later I realized that  it looked like windows update downloaded updates, so I tried to install them and it worked! Also every thing seems to work now.
How do I remove combofix?
Is this how combofix works?
Do you think it fixed the problem or is it a coincidence? It didnt say anything like it was done or it found anything.
Do I care about the recovery console that was installed, and will it be removed?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 06:47:53 pm »
It is possible combofix was fighting an infection, and got part of the infection removed. Also possible that running my windows repair again might have done it, but if windows updates failed after that but ran after combofix then that explains that.

Combofix is totally automated and removes anything it did after it is done, doesnt install anything.

Shane