Author Topic: Can't get "Kill Frozen Programs" to work  (Read 8612 times)

Offline skypilotpete

• View Profile
Can't get "Kill Frozen Programs" to work
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:13 pm »
I really like the idea of "Kill Frozen Programs", but I can't get it to open using hot keys. It runs correctly when I double click on the program .exe, but nothing happens when I try to invoke it using any combination of hot keys. Any help with this would be very much appreciated.
I run Windows 7 64 home premium.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Can't get "Kill Frozen Programs" to work
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »
Did you make sure to have the program run as administrator?

I know it needs admin rights because it has to use the Windows API to hook in and see the keyboard keys when your not in the program itself. :wink:

Shane

Offline skypilotpete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 07:13:11 pm »
The user account I am running it in has full administrator privileges. Plus I when I extracted the zip file I ran that as administrator. I have no problem running the program when I double click on the exe file. What does not work is when I try to run it using hot keys. Nothing at all happens when I use the hot key combination. Does the Kill_Frozen_Program.exe have to be placed in any particular directory?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:19:47 pm »
No it can run from anywhere.

The program looks at all the processes and closes any that Windows has marked as not responding. When you do the key combination it should say in the status window 0 closed or how ever many. Does the status in the program ever change?

Shane

Offline skypilotpete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:06:01 pm »
It appears that I may have been under the mistaken impression that the key combination was intended to open and run the program, not just run it when it was already open. Is this correct, or does the program have to be open at all times, just in case things freeze up? I have found that the key combination will run the program if it is already open, but it will not open it if the program is not already running.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, my wife had our baby :-)

Yes the program has to be open. My reason for making it is when I am playing a game sometimes the game will crash but it will be a black screen and wont go back to the desktop, cant even pull up task manager because the game is full screen and stays on top of everything.

So with this tool running in the back ground, if that happens you hit the key combo. The program loops through all the running processes and kills any process that windows reports as not responding. So now the game closes, the desktop is back and no need to reboot to kill the frozen game :-)

Shane