Author Topic: Could not create uninstall shortcut  (Read 16653 times)

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
Could not create uninstall shortcut
« on: January 20, 2014, 12:05:34 am »
ASUS laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64 bit.  It's really screwed up - Cannot install Windows .net framework 4.5.1, cannot install Chrome because of that, no youtube on Firefox.  Internet Explorer gives me a white screen with the spinning blue circle, the it just closes, cannot install malwarebytes, etc....

Tried your product, but it won't install - I get a msg box that reads Could not create uninstall shortcut.

I don't care about the shortcut, but the Tweaking Repair tool never installed because of the error.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Could not create uninstall shortcut
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:07 am »
Download the portable zip file instead of the installer then :wink:

its on the same page under the installer downloads.

Shane

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 02:16:01 pm »
One of the problems I was hoping to correct was the loss any of zip extraction accessory.  Although I have 7-zip on this laptop I am no longer able to right click on the zip file to extract the contents.  When I right click the file all I get is open with, and I can't choose a program.  I have to set a default association for the zip extension, and I don't know what that should be with z-zip.

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:32:41 am »
Gee, I hope your product is better than your support forum.  Does anyone have an answer to my original problem that does not involve the use of a zip extractor?

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:25:04 pm »
Here are some solutions:  :smiley:
1 - running anti-malware software will help. Here's my website http://vrt-com.webnode.com/products-/
2 - You have to do a bad sector check.
3 - Make sure the date of Windows is correct? If the problem still? Then, I advise you to do repair system files
4 - Try to disable or remove any anti-virus and see if you're able to install anything! Here's my website http://free-antivirus-solutions.webs.com/uninstallers-security-tools

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:49:42 pm »
1 - running anti-malware software will help.
Have already run full MSE scan, TDSSKiller, BitDefender, ComboFix, ESET scanner and Mbar.  They find nothing.  Malwarebytes will not install
2 - You have to do a bad sector check.
Ran chkdsk /r /f.  No problems
3 - Make sure the date of Windows is correct? If the problem still? Then, I advise you to do repair system files
Date & time are correct
4 - Try to disable or remove any anti-virus and see if you're able to install anything! Here's my website http://free-antivirus-solutions.webs.com/uninstallers-security-tools
Turning off MSE Real Time Protection does nothing.  The only thing I've been able to install lately is mbar - malwarebytes' rootkit findere.  I'd love to do a repair install, but itunes has to be uninstalled first, and I cannot uninstall (I'm getting a msg about a problem with Windows Installer).  Seemed like your Tweaking Repair would be ideal , but if it won't install then it's useless to me.

Offline Gamezertruth

• View Profile
    • Gamezertruth

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
Had already run roguekiller last week.  Ran it again today and it found 1 insignificant registry entry.   I removed it anyway, but it
made no difference on my inability to install Tweaking.com.  The other link you supplied to me to a page where they blab about ar MSI fixer tool.  Sounded promissing, but when you click on THAT link it takes you to this page:http://www.techsupportall.com/.  Try it yourself

I appreciate the time you 're giving me, but the second link was useless and you seem to be intent on not actually solving my problem with the Tweaking error as much as fixing the problems that could be fixed if I had a workable Tweaking.com Repair tool.  .  I thought the idea behind this product was to minimize reinstalls.  If I could only get rid of itunes I'd do a repair install, but I can't get rid of itunes, and I can't use your tool, so I guess the only solution is a total reinstall.

What a disappointment.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:20 pm »
Gee, I hope your product is better than your support forum.  Does anyone have an answer to my original problem that does not involve the use of a zip extractor?

I offer free support and free programs, I also have a job and customers to take care of so I am not online 24 hours a day. I do my best to help every person who asks.

I appreciate the time you 're giving me, but the second link was useless and you seem to be intent on not actually solving my problem with the Tweaking error as much as fixing the problems that could be fixed if I had a workable Tweaking.com Repair tool.  .  I thought the idea behind this product was to minimize reinstalls.  If I could only get rid of itunes I'd do a repair install, but I can't get rid of itunes, and I can't use your tool, so I guess the only solution is a total reinstall.

All you need to do is extract the zip file, has nothing to do with my program. What is really odd is how you have no options for the zip file, even Windows has a built in extract options for zip files and you dont even get that as an option.

Installer cant install properly, and you have other odd problems. So something is very broken in the system.

Have you tried opening 7-zip and then in 7-zip go to file and open and then open the zip file and then extract it from there?

Shane

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »
Sorry that I took some of my computer frustrations out on you.  It was a catch-22 situation.  I was sure that this product would help, but I couldn't install it because it said it couldn't create shortcuts.  Then I couldn't use the portable zip version because I couldn't extract the files.  And I no the laptop's inability to extract zip files was not related to your program, but rather to problems with the laptop.  I guess this laptop's OS was just too screwed up to install your product.

Ultimately, I found a way to get around the itunes issue that prevented me from doing a Windows 7 Repair Install.  Once I completed that upgrade I was easily able to run your normal executable, which installed the Tweaking.com All In One Repair tool.  I'm not sure what it corrected since the repair install really seemed to fix most everything.  I suppose I put an unfair burden on your product, expecting that it would do everything that the repair install did.

The only thing I have to do npw is figure out why Chrome won't play youtube videos, and how to get rid of the current itunes version which won't run and reinstall a new version.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 02:39:17 pm »
A repair install is the next step after my program if it cant get you fixed :-)

Glad to hear your up and working.

As for chrome remove the adobe flash add in and reinstall it :wink:

Shane

Offline boweasel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:58 pm »
As for chrome remove the adobe flash add in and reinstall it
Thanks, but Chrome has a built-in plug-in that makes Flash a part of the browser.  The actual fix is to go to the Chrome Plug-in page and notice that there's 2 Shockwave Flash plugins.  Disable the one called pepperflash plugin and you'll  then be using the other one - Macromedia's Flash - the same one used by Firefox.

Don't know if there's any way to incorporate that into Tweaking.com, but it's a solid bit of information I'm  passing on.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 10:02:51 am »
Don't know if there's any way to incorporate that into Tweaking.com, but it's a solid bit of information I'm  passing on.

Thats a good fix, mind posting the fix in the User Submitted Tweaks & Guides section? :-)

Shane