Author Topic: Why Do I need Reimage (your ad on this page) When Your AIO Performs So Well  (Read 9192 times)

Offline dblanch256

• View Profile
Outstanding product!

I found you when "another outfit" offered to fix my machine and I noticed that all they were doing (for $199) was using your tool!

If you are upset to hear this, I don't blame you, and I can try to get more detail on this if you want to take any legal action against them.
YOU are the one with integrity here!  I think it's wrong for others to be "re-selling" your product.

The only way I can help is to make small donations to you via PayPal, which I have done.  You and your team are wonderful!

David C Blanchard ()
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:30:46 pm by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
I removed your personal info, your number and email. You dont want to post those on a public forum! :wink:

Reimage is an ad like the goole ads. All my work is free and I make money from ads and donations. This way people who dont have any money can still get help :-)

As for the person doing that, post here and tell me who they where. Everyone is free to use my tools as long as they dont call my work their own. And I have a lot of computer shows that use my tools, which I am ok with, I own a computer repair business as well. But if someone did nothing more than use my program, then I have a problem with that :-)

Shane

Offline dblanch256

• View Profile
Shane --

I'm about to give you a web contact who has been shamelessly "re-selling" your AIO tool (and charging big bucks for it)!

I scanned my latest credit card bill which shows two entries totaling almost $300 to have this "service" performed on my machines.  I believe they are seriously ripping you off (and countless other people like me) and you are the logical person to take any action against them which you deem appropriate.

Please provide a direct email (outside this forum) so I can send you the page image of my Discover card charges with the offending organization and charges highlighted.

Feel free to "strip" my email from this post, but I'll need an email response from you to reply with my proof-of-purchase document.

-- Dave ()
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:07:54 pm by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I sent you a email :-)

Shane

Offline dblanch256

• View Profile
The latest news (on being charged for third party use of AIO) is that Discover is launching its own investigation to determine whether the charges were legitimate.  It's still possible that they may rule in favor of the defendants unless your site has language specifically prohibiting others from profiting directly from your work.

For now, they have "conditionally" refunded the charges to me, pending the outcome of their investigation.

Regardless, I'll let you know how this all plays out.

Offline dblanch256

• View Profile
Yes, I understand why you post Google ads.  But that doesn't answer my question.  How would you characterize the differences between your tool (WR-AIO) and ReImage?  At the highest level of description they "sound" identical.  I suspect AIO is the superior product, but I wanted your take on it.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that Google would choose *that* ad (for ReImage--reminds me of RePet!) because they make a calculated effort to tailor ads to consumers.  But it is disconcerting to be on the Tweaking page but seeing ads for other like-sounding tools!  It's confusing.  I suspect that if *you* thought their tool was so great, you wouldn't have built WR-AIO!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I havent used there tool. I know others who have and they liked it but it does very different repairs than what mine does. I think theirs is more aimed at the actual files on the system. While mine doesnt replace any files on the system and instead focuses on the registry and permissions. 95% of Windows problems are normally found from something wrong in the registry :-)

Shane

Offline Casteele

• View Profile
Yes, I understand why you post Google ads.  But that doesn't answer my question.  How would you characterize the differences between your tool (WR-AIO) and ReImage?  At the highest level of description they "sound" identical.  I suspect AIO is the superior product, but I wanted your take on it.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised that Google would choose *that* ad (for ReImage--reminds me of RePet!) because they make a calculated effort to tailor ads to consumers.  But it is disconcerting to be on the Tweaking page but seeing ads for other like-sounding tools!  It's confusing.  I suspect that if *you* thought their tool was so great, you wouldn't have built WR-AIO!

My guess is that the code to display the ads contacts the ad server, which in turn, scans the page on which the ad is being served, using keywords from the page to decide which ad to display. Google calls this "AdSense", so if terms like "registry", "system", "tweak", "repair" and such appear often on the page displaying the ad, they'll choose an ad related to such topics--including ads which may be competitors ads. Some ad servers also track you, using "tracking cookies" (which many malware scanners detect and remove, btw), in theory to allow them to custom tailor the ads they choose to display to you according to the types of web pages you've recently visited. As an example.. Shane may not see the same "Reimage" ad that you see, because it's not likely he spends much time browsing websites looking for tools similar to his, while you may have recently browsed other similar websites, so the ad server is trying to "suggest" similar tools to you.

For myself, I block certain ad servers because they're well-known for allowing their advertisers to create misleading ads, such as those which appear like "Before you download, run this program!" in a way that makes it appear the author is endorsing their product when in fact, the author doesn't know what ad is being chosen or displayed. I also block those ads which look like the "download" button--Ever download a program from c|net and wonder which of the "download" links/buttons is the actual download link and which are just misleading ads? This is why some websites use CSS to create a frame around their ad sections to make it clear that anything inside the box frame is only an ad banner.

As for the differences.. I did a Google search for Reimage, and found ReImagePlus. Not sure if this is the same one you're seeing an ad for, but it does sound like their focus is on repairing corrupt system files, which it appears to do by comparing the files on your computer with their database of good (and possibly bad) files on their web server. This also implies that the program may be sending their server a list of the files on your computer, which may be a bad idea security-wise (as well as for those concerned with privacy issues), since such interactions may expose vulnerabilities in your system to those wishing to exploit your system. (But don't panic! I say "may" here because I don't know how ReImagePlus operates--it may also operate in a "safe" fashion that doesn't expose you to additional risk.. But these are long and deep topics for another thread and/or forum..)

HTH,
Cas