Author Topic: Can I reset network to newly installed condition?  (Read 5682 times)

Offline ruddervader

• View Profile
Can I reset network to newly installed condition?
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:38 pm »
Hi, I have 4 computers I would like to network together. My main machine runs Win 7 Pro 32bit, my laptop is a dual boot with Win 7 Pro 64 bit or Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, my wife's laptop runs Win 8.1 64 bit and a second desktop running a triple boot Win 7 Pro 32 bit, Win 7 Pro 64 bit or Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit. I used to have a Home Group on my old desktop that I replaced with my new desktop. The old Home group seems to be lingering about on my new desktop and I can't get rid of it. I tried uninstalling the network adapters on all machines, leaving the Home group on all machines, turning off Home group Provider and Listening Services on my main machine. But when I turn them back on the old Home group shows up again.  I hoped running your AIO on all machines would whip them into shape but no luck.
I think I have ham fisted the whole system now and would like to go back to square one and start afresh.
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Can I reset network to newly installed condition?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »
I never use home group myself.

Instead On the machine I share folders with I have it set for any machine can access them. Then in the file and sharing options in the network center I turn off password sharing and home group.

I then modify the permissions of the shared folder and add "Everyone" group to it.

Now all the machines can access the folder without having to login.

That is the way i do it here at home since no one outside my home can access the folders I have no need to have the password protected.

I found home group to be a pain, and the permissions on the folder your sharing does matter, so if it is tided down it will make things harder. :wink:

Shane

Offline ruddervader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:21 pm »
Shane, Thanks for your prompt reply. I don't see how you handle all this , a family and a full time job. My hat's off to you!
I have given up on Homegroup and turned it off on all machines. Also turned off password protected sharing. I'm just afraid I have screwed up the permissions in sharing or security so I was hoping to start with a clean slate.
I know your AIO doesn't change any files but I thought resetting file permissions would help.
BTW my main machine is the only one hardwired to the router, all the rest are wireless.
If I could get any two machines to talk to each other I would be encouraged.
I guess I need to methodically go through all the steps again and make sure all the settings are the same.
Thanks again for your input.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:07:48 pm »
I have to check, but I remember that in Windows 7 Home Prem. you have to go into safe mode in order to get the security tab on the properties of a folder or files. But the Pro should have the option.

So you just go to the properties of a folder you are sharing, go to advanced and tell it to not used inherited permissions. Then remove all permissions and then just add the everyone group and give it fuller permissions and put a check to replace all child permissions. Thats it, with the folder shared and password sharing turned off the other systems should be able to access it.

So my main machine here is named SMC

ON my other computer in the house when I want to access the shares I just go to start and in the run or search box at the bottom I put in \\smc and hit enter on my keyboard.

After that my shared folders pop right up :-)

Shane