Author Topic: SFC and DISM Windows Repair (Solved)  (Read 26197 times)

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
SFC and DISM Windows Repair (Solved)
« on: March 13, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »
Hello,

I've been having a number of problems with my computer. The computer is a 2013 model and shipped with Windows 8. It was incompatible with 8.1, which I found out the hard way, and I had to restore a system image to the previous state. It has never really worked right since then.

In searching around for solutions, besides updating drivers, it was suggested that Windows was corrupted and that SFC should be run to clean it up.

SFC reported that there were corrupted files that it could not fix. In looking for a solution for this I found that DISM should repair the image so that SFC would work.

While it was one more step, it seemed too good to be true that it would be that easy. Sure enough it was too good to be true. DISM keeps failing, stating that it could not download files.

I am at a loss of what to do.

I attached the CBS.log and DISM.log. I am past my understanding here and am looking for help interpreting what is happening. The logs have been edited to pertain to just the instances that I ran them, so they are relatively brief. The CBS.log entries are dated later that the DISM.log because by the time I got to the CBS.log to edit it had become massively big and no longer contained the entries I was looking for.

Here are symptoms I am having on the chance there are other ideas:
  • Windows Explorer is sluggish or unresponsive. I can't determine situation that instigate this, but Windows will appear to work (i.e. switch between Desktop and Start, Charms show), but I cannot open programs, close programs, do anything in Windows Explorer.
  • Software (I primarily use Libre Office and Firefox on this computer, but I have seen it happen with others.) becomes unresponsive on opening. It appears that the program doesn't finish loading and pretty much the same thing happens as when Explorer stops working.
  • Task Manager extremely slow to start or doesn't start at all. In attempting to close an unresponsive program I try to get Task Manager to open and it won't.
  • Extremely slow Restart or Shut Down. Periodically, not necessarily when I have the above problems, when I Restart or Shut Down nothing happens. There is just a perpetual Restart or Shut Down screen. I have left it for a couple hours before to see it do nothing. Sometimes it will work, but very slow.
  • Windows 8 apps unresponsive. I don't use them too often, but more often than not Windows Store or Reader(and others) just won't open.
  • Sometimes the computer won't wake from sleep.
  • Windows Update sometimes fails to check or install updates. One update that is listed always fails.

Some stuff I've done in attempt to fix this:

Here is information about my computer:
Make: Acer V5-122P
Processor: AMD A6-1450
RAM: 10GB

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:02:28 pm by blackorb »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: SFC and DISM Windows Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:43:29 pm »
When you ran my repair tool did you make sure to run all the repairs?

Shane

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:08:03 pm »
Hi Shane,

Thank you for the reply.

I did run all of the tools that were defaulted to on. I think three tools were off; Windows Snipping, Reset all Permissions, and I don't remember the last off the top of my head.

- C

Offline Rolemodel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:41:55 pm »
Hi there,

Normally what I do to isolate the problem is firstly to see if anything is running abormally high. Try access Task Manager, then go to the Performance Tab. Look to see at what % the different components are running at, as this may help you isolate the problem.

If you see anything running abnormally high click on Resource Monitor at the bottom of the window then select the tab of the component that was running high. Try sorting by the different columns and see if you get any processes running a lot higher than the rest.

Take screenshots as you go along, and post them, so we can try assist you in isolating the problem.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 04:17:36 pm »
Normally there isnt a way to fix the winsxs and sfc errors. But in Windows 8 ms finally gave a way to try and rebuild it. That is what the last Windows 8 repair does in the program. But if file permissions where not correct it would have stopped it from working.

But if the internal Windows cant rebuild it a lot of times you are stuck reinstalling. But first run all the repairs again and have it do the file permissions for the C: drive as well and see if it helps :-)

Shane

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »
In response to Rolemodel: I will see if I can get anything. I have been running Task Manager while going about my normal business and have not seen anything out of the ordinary. I had a fail today, but Task Manager was not open and would not open, so I don't know if I will be able to get any info that way.

In response to Shane: I reran the tools again today with the reset file permissions tool. DISM still failed in the end. The tools actually hung once today and Windows became unresponsive to force close or shut down

The command prompt error I receive for DISM is:
Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.

Is there a download source setting to check? Is there a source I can obtain that you know about? I have seen some people have issues with Windows Update due to bad DNS settings. I changed my DNS settings to see if there was any effect to no avail.

I really want to avoid reinstalling Windows. Besides it just being a general pain, I have a student license for some software that I only get the one activation for. I can't get that back if I wipe the drive. I also did reinstall Windows once, using the user-created restore disk, when I first got the computer due to a stupid Linux mistake I made. I am not sure it has ever run well since then, eluding to that I may have a bad copy of Windows.

Thanks again.

- C

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:12 pm »
The download source means Windows updates. The MS tool is suppose to be able to download the files it needs. But in this case it is saying that it cant.

One thing about Windows 8 that I have seen is it is one of the easiest to break out of all the other Windows versions.

Are you able to do Windows updates yourself at all?

Shane

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 12:25:55 pm »
Hi Shane,

I can perform Windows update myself, all except for a relatively newer one for "Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 x64-based systems (KB2938527)" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2938527) this one has failed every time.

I tried a manual download and install and it still failed. I followed Microsoft's troubleshooting which pretty much checks to see if my computer is turned on and I have internet connectivity and other useless stuff.

I think that I ran SFC, with it failing, before this update, but not pursuing it any further did not run DISM at the time.

I do have a copy of a Windows 8 disc image, ISO I think. Would it be possible to start some sort of refresh from that? Or, if possible, would that just be the same as the Refresh that is already inherent in Windows 8?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

- C

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:40 pm »
You could do a repair install of 8
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

Or even try to get a hold of the 8.1 iso and upgrade tot hat or even do a fresh install directly to 8.1.

The upgrade process from 8 to 8.1 has had a lot of trouble. When I reinstall 8 for customers now I just do a fresh install of 8.1 and avoid the whole upgrade process, which makes things run much much better lol

Shane

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »
Hey Shane,

Thank you for the link. That appears promising  :cheesy:

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 a while back and had hellish problems with it, which appeared to stem from compatibility issues with AMD. The end result was restoring my computer from a backup image, which I'm not convinced hasn't added to the problems I am having.

I am super leery of trying again because there have been no driver updates and I have not been able to confirm with Acer if there are no more problems.

I'll give an update when I am able to try the Windows 8 restore.

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:19:27 pm »
I refreshed my system with the Windows 8 image that I have. Before installing 90+ updates, SFC and DISM gave a clean bill of health.

Everything appears to be running fine for the moment.

I guess I'll go about doing the updates and hope everything goes well.

- C

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 09:25:48 am »
You should be good :-)

If you ever decide to go to 8.1 I always do a fresh install with a 8.1 disk and avoid the upgrade from 8 at all costs lol

Shane

Offline blackorb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 04:01:50 pm »
Just an update, everything is updated in Windows and SFC has still given the OK. I haven't had any weirdness or crashing the last few days, so I think things are good to go.

The software I was attempting to preserve has been corrupted somehow through the refresh. It wants a repair done to it, however repairing it doesn't do anything; or at least it gives the same error message when starting. So that is another problem I'll take up with the provider.

I don't know if there is an actual "solved" status for the forum posting that I can select, but I did choose the "Thumbs Up" Message icon and feel that I am set.

I appreciate your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SFC and DISM Windows Repair (Solved)
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 12:15:00 pm »
Always happy to help :-)

Shane