Author Topic: failed to restore previous registry files  (Read 9639 times)

Offline crimson

• View Profile
failed to restore previous registry files
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:40 am »
I had some registry issues that have had something to do with hkey local machine and root directories.
So i downloaded all in one repair software from this site and went through the steps as suggested.
1) No malware detected
2) NO disc issues were detected and hence chkdsk wasn't needed
3) After running the system files check, it said - no integrity issues
4) system restore and registry backup successful
5) Ran the repairs

after boot, some applications failed to load and asking me to re-create a directory to store and didn't let me access c: and some applications failed to uninstall as a result and said that it could not access logfile and some other exe files....

6) So i used system restore to restore the computer to a time before i ran this all-in-one software - successful
7) I ran the application again to restore previous registry files and one of them failed to get restored.
I performed steps 6 and 7 again and it gave the same error message.

I performed a registry error scan through AVG antivirus software and the result is Hkey classes root errors and a few others. The error file is attached .

Can some help me with this and if this issue has already been resolved for someone else, please guide me to the relevant post. Help appreciated

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: failed to restore previous registry files
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:09:45 am »
System restore would have put back the registry files as well. When you tried to restore the registry files with my program what one failed?

Also instead of AVG try the reg scanner in ccleaner, that is good for cleaning up unneeded regkeys.

But I am curious to the exact problem after running the repairs. The repairs set reg and file permissions and allows access for everything so you shouldnt be getting any errors on those.

If you have a good backup I would like to look more into the errors you are getting after the repairs, screen shots of the actual errors are always very helpful for me :-)

Shane

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:20 am »
I don't know which one failed, but it only mentioned 13/14 files restored. I had performed the repairs on all options except for windows update repairs. But i don't know if this will shed some light on the issue.
Anyways, for now, as you have suggested, i have run ccleaner and the results are attached below. Also the issue were fixed and i ran the it again to be sure. No issues detected.

The highlighted applications in the report were the ones i had problems with. the rest seem to work fine, even though these error messages were shown.

If this isn't sufficient, then i will go ahead and create a restore point and run 'all-in-one' again and report the issues. let me know if this is required.
But how can i tell which file doesn't restore, is there an option or a drop down box anywhere that i might have missed?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:30:28 am by crimson »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:23:49 pm »
I am not sure if any of the registry cleaners you are using might be causing the problem.

ccleaner I have used but even then the problem with reg cleaners is one wrong thing removed and Windows can break. 95% of the problem in windows are almost always registry related.

My repair program adds regkeys back but doesnt remove them, and it restores them back to what a normal Windows would have them. But this is just for some of the services, the rest of the reg keys that get added or changed are done by Windows itself when dll and ocx files are registered.

So it is up to you, you can restore and run the repair only, or we can look and see what exactly is happening right now.

I dont need a screen shot of the cleaner, I need a screen shot showing the error message you get that you are asking help for. This way I can see exactly what it says and such and see if I can help fix it :-)

Shane

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »
i don't know what happened, but the second time i ran the program almost everything seems to be working fine. some of the icons that were missing from the tray are back, folders are loading faster.

And after the registry repairs, the ccleaner reported one activex issue : inproserver32\c:\windows system32\wuaucpl..cpl
I didn't fix it. i will take my cues from you.

i noticed that the volume controller icon on the task bar has vanished although i can control the volume using the special function keys as the media keys. I appreciate it if you can let me know how to fix it

I guess the reason for everything going well is:
on first try : I had chosen every option for repair except the windows update repair option
On second try: I chose the default highlighted repair options, although again i disabled the windows update repair option.

so i am assuming the problem must lie in the options i left out, especially the one which said 'reset file permissions' .

Conclusion: I don't have to restore my sys to before registry repairs  :cheesy:

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:09:37 pm »
Oh, after a few boots, i just noticed that the volume control icon has popped back...so no issues there.
Thank you

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 06:12:27 pm »
Hi, glad that you had no problem. But does it not appear strange, that you got back the missing after random boots. Computer behaviour is very hard to predict.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:16:53 pm »
Glad to hear things are working better now :-D

Shane

Offline crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 04:37:06 am »
@jraju : I know what you mean, just like us behaving out of character at times.   :thinking:

Anyways I have decided to give it a rest because I have been at my computer for 5 days in a row, with hardly any sleep, sorting out issues.
Since everything is working fine now, i don't want to unnecessarily do anything to it. since the time it is back, i haven't noticed any random or suspicious behaviour  :rolleyes:

If it crops later, i will dive into it again.

once again, I thank you guys for your support  :wink:

Regards,
crimson

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »
hI, CRIMSON,

pL DOnot read between the lines. Only for strange things, that we want clarifications and not for normal.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".