Author Topic: Bluescreen Stop Error 0000F4  (Read 9819 times)

Offline silents429

• I secretly enjoy troubleshooting problems.
    • View Profile
Bluescreen Stop Error 0000F4
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:29:24 pm »
Alright lets cut to the quick because Ima gonna send this laptop skyhigh if I don't solve this.

Anyway.

Okay so this is what happens you ready?

When doing an HDD intensive task, like moving an 8gb file from an external hard drive or installing an os. This HDD starts making weird noises and an occasional beep.

Oddly the mouse cursor still moves but the windows stop functioning and say. I open the start menu it stays up. Close a window it stays close. Ctrl-Alt-del doesn't work nothing does.

Taking off the bottom panel (while its running)
I confirmed the weird noises come from the HDD and my fan stopped running for some reason. (Its always running when the OS is running fine)

This is on windows 7. After 2 days of trying to install it without the install freezing while copying files.

I did a clean reinstall of course. And I know it isn't hardware because the Linux Mint partition runs like a champion.

Now keep in mind the "cause" for this when I say its when the HDD gets to doing something intensive like moving large files, I use it as a hunch. I haven't been able to replicate this, however after letting it sit I got the above error from a blue screen. And didn't get much else.

Someone wanna give me that solution I will feel foolish for forgetting about?

Offline silents429

• View Profile
Re: Bluescreen Stop Error 0000F4
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:50:41 pm »
After showing this to my older tech brother for him to listen to the noise he said the hard drive is just broke.

After a friend over skype perfectly described the sound its making he agrees.

I think the hard drive is just broke.

Offline scarsxp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:18:19 am »
After showing this to my older tech brother for him to listen to the noise he said the hard drive is just broke.

After a friend over skype perfectly described the sound its making he agrees.

I think the hard drive is just broke.

Yeah, in that case, you don't even have to run manufacturer's HD diagnostics on it to know it's broke,  but you still could. At this point, it's probably too much of a risk to use it. Hopefully you backed up your data. You can also look in the event viewer to see if system errors came up.

What model/brand/serial is this hard drive?

And also, it's interesting to note, I was dealing with a hard drive that had basically a bad logical sector (a stuck sector), I tried everything to back up the data as a secondary drive in a windows environment (just didn't work). Finally I just loaded it up as a secondary drive in Linux Live cd. And I was able to copy the data. Makes me wonder why hard drives work better using Linux. Better copy tools, also.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:44:08 am by scarsxp »

Offline silents429

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:02:07 am »
I am pretty certain its broke. Yesterday it kept freezing up more and more. At one point the hard drive just turned off.

Oddly. Using Linux's HDD check didn't show any problems.

But I mean.

The thing was grinding and beeping, you could hear the disk inside spinning horribly.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 10:41:51 am »
Yeah sounds like the HDD for sure.

I had a customer who had a HDD that kept completely dieing and Windows couldnt even read it. They needed their data off of it bad.

So I did a old trick and it worked. I put ice in 2 zip log backs, put a small towel on both sides of the drive and put the ice bags on top and bottom. Basically making a HDD sandwich with ice.

That kep the drive from dieing and not being able to be read. I was able to get most of the data off, it had bad sectors as well. But the problem was something in the drive was overheating bad. So thats why the drive would work for a short while when it had been off for a bit but then stopped.

So I had to keep it cold in order to get the data.

For your HDD it sounds like something simalar. Something in the HDD is causing overheat when it shouldnt and when you are moving files like that the drive is working at max speed making more heat.

A HDD should handle that fine. When it cant handle the heat then something is wrong with the drive and should be replaced.

Shane

Offline silents429

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:16:59 am »
Yep. The overheating was the issue.

Actually burned my finger touching the HDD, Linux seemed to handle it fine so I managed to get any important data off, and I have a 80gb HDD left to use until I can throw 50$ into a new one, or if my Summer Job goes well Ill end up building a desktop.

Granted this means 1 of my laptops is unusable now, slight disappointment. First HDD problem I have ever had.