Author Topic: Windows IP Configuration Problem with Windows XP Professional  (Read 17732 times)

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
Hello and this is my first message that I posted here. First of all I know that Microsoft Windows XP Professional is no longer supported by Microsoft for future releases of patches or problem with this operaitng system program. Anyway I need to get this part with " Windows IP Configuration " working again but have been frustrated with this part trying to repair and nothing successful yet. Here is what I see from the command prompt box after type ipconfig /all

Microsoft Windows XP Version 5.1.26009
(c) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\ Documents and Settings\John P. Mackay>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

Now you see the message above and we know that we can't contact Microsoft now as of the date with April 9, 2014 for their help with this problem. I already tried to repair with one of Tweaking program with " Repair Windows Firewall " and doesn't help with this to solve the problem.  Any idea how to solve this problem without contact Microsoft. By the way the wireless connection is working with no problem but can't access to the internet even with Firefox or Google too.

Hope that someone here in this forum can help with this to get Windows IP Configuration working again.

Thank you,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Windows IP Configuration Problem with Windows XP Professional
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:07 am »
Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32

and in there see if you have 2 ipconfig files

A exe and a tsp file.

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 09:06:21 pm »
Hi Shane,

Just checked the System32 folder under Windows and see both files with ipconfig.exe and ipconfig.tsp are there. Now will wait to see what's next to repair the problem of Windows IP Configuration?

Thank you,

John
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:08:26 pm by jpmackay »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:41:05 am »
What file size and versions are they on your system? I just want to make sure they match the size and versions of the ones from my xp system :-)

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:43 pm »
OK here are the information of both files that you want to know if yours are the same as mine. Yes they are:

ipconf.tsp       TSP File        17KB
ipconfig.exe   Application    55KB

Hope that will help you to know what to do next with this.

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:01:45 am »
Ok, in the cmd.exe window type in

ipconfig /?

And hit enter. It shoudl list the things ipconfig supports. I know it supports /all, I use that myself, but I am curious what yours will report.

I have attached a screen of what it says on my XP system in vmware.

Also lets do a search for any ipconfig file on the system to make sure you dont have a duplicate that might be getting in the way. I attached a screen shot of how I want you to do the search.

I also attached the two ipconfig files from my system32 folder. Try replacing yours with these and see if it helps :-)

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:00:26 am »
Shane,

I did download both files with one jpg and one zip but with the zip file show me nothing inside the zip file. Anyway I did try to type " ipcopnfig /? in command prompt and show me the list exactly like yours but can't install the ipconfig.exe because nothing inside the zip file. Yu will have to resend this again.

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:22:47 am »
Make sure the zip file actually downloaded, should be 28.75 kB in size. I just checked and the files are in there.

Use 7-zip to extract it if you need to.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

as for the /? command, so it shows the /all command in there but when you use it, it comes up as unsupported. Lets see if the 2 files i gave you helps.

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:41 am »
Shane,

Thank you for the link to download 7-zip and it's working to extract. Then I put both files inside the folder of system32 in Windows and try again. With ipconfig /all still the same as before. I don't know what block this exe file from opening up in command prompt and still the same as before with the message below:

Microsoft Windows XP Version 5.1.26009
(c) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\ Documents and Settings\John P. Mackay>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

The only way that I can think of is to reinstall the operating system but the problem is that Microsoft will not accept to activate the program with the serial numbers for my desktop?

Will wait to hear what is next with this?

Smile,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:49 am »
You are putting a space after ipconfig correct?

ipconfig /all not ipconfig/all

Also did you ever do the search on the whole system for any other ipconfig files?

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 09:15:29 pm »
Yes I type the name space name in like this with ipconfig /all not ipconfig/all in one word.

After ran through search in C:\ to see if any ipconfig.exe files show up and guess now: There are two files and look below:

ipconfig.exe      C:\WINDOWS\system32      55 KB   Application        4/14/2008    5:42 A.M.
ipconfig.exe      C:\ServicePackFiles\i386     55 KB   Application        4/13/2008    8:12 P.M.

I don't know if I need those two or just one exe file for my desktop or copy over the earlier date with later date in.

Now with the TSP file and there are more than one file in C:\

ipconf.TSP      C:\WINDOWS\system32      55 KB   Application        4/13/2008    8:12 P.M.
ipconf.TSP      C:\ServicePackFiles\i386     55 KB   Application        4/13/2008    8:12 P.M.

Now you see all four files are found in search in my desktop. Then what would you like me to do with this?

Will wait to hear from you about this.

Thank you,

John

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:17:30 pm by jpmackay »

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 10:55:04 am »
Waiting for this reply since last night.

Thank you,

John   :wink:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 12:50:46 pm »
I also run a computer repair business so sometimes I am out for a while before I can get to the forum posts :-)

When you ran my Windows Repair tool did you make sure to run all the repairs? Reason why is I am researching that error and it turns out it can be caused by certain services not being enabled and other things.

So grab my newest version of Windows Repair v2.6.2
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Make sure to have it do a registry backup first, then when you go to the repair Window just click on the select all button and then start. It will take a little while to finish. When it does make sure to reboot :-)

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 03:58:39 pm »
I did not realize that you do your computer repair business. Next time I will remember this if you did not respond right away. I should have give you time when you can give a reply.

Anyway I ran through your program Windows Repairs v.2.6.2 in complete also did back up the registry first. And nothing fixed yet with this -- Windows IP Configuration.

Anyway will wait to see your next reply when you can.

Thank you,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 09:15:45 am »
Lets try something. I attached a custom ipconfig I made myself years ago, still works on every version of Windows.

Dont replace the one you have on your system with it, instead just extract the zip file to a folder of it sown and open my program and see if it is able to pull the IP information :-)

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:26:37 am »
First of all want to say thank you for the files that you sent in zip to download. I put two files on desktop not overwrite at all in system32 in Windows folder. Unfortnately your custom ipconfig did not show any information in TCP/IP Configuration.  Guess that I will have to wipe everything in the hard drive and replace with Linux Operating System. Or have to get a bigger hard drive to make room for Windows 7 to install. Mine is only 80 GB and that's not enough to upgrade to Windows 7. Anyway thanks for your help with this and see no further point trying to repair ipconfig.exe but wireless connection is working with no problem. Also notice that the Windows Firewall is not working as well. I will not wipe out the hard drive till you might have something else to make the ipconfig.exe working again.

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:08 pm »
Then the problem isnt the ipconfig. ipconfig simply isnt able to pull the information from the system.

My program I gave you uses the API GetAdaptersInfo to pull the information. So if the API is returning nothing then something is messed up in the system. Personally I wouldnt mind taking a look at it for you, because if I can find the problem I could perhaps add it to my repairs :-)

As for Windows 7, a fresh install of 7 with all updates takes about 10 to 15 GB of space. So 80Gb would handle it fine, unless you have a ton of other stuff and dont have the room :-)

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »
Shane,

You are welcome trying to help me to get my desktop to work again. Now we know that the ipconfig.exe are working and something else messed up my desktop after I uninstalled Comodo Firewall. That would be great for you so you will know what is the actual problem and put on your list for future reference?

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »
Cool I wouldn't mind looking at it. Just have to find the time this week.

It is very possible the firewall software didn't completely uninstall, happens with a lot of firewall software.

I did find a removal tool on their forums
https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html

The trick would be to make sure all traces of the firewall are removed.

Shane

Offline jpmackay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »
Thank you for the link from your last message and did not show me any of firewall software of Comodo at all. Now I know that it is more possibility with IObit Uninstaller which I deleted the registry keys under Power Uninstall after uninstalled Comodo Firewall. That's my fault to remove the registry because more likely there are some Microsoft registry in it with firewall. I learned a hard lesson not to touch the registry in the desktop. OK I do have the CD Disk of Microsoft Windows XP Professional for refurbished computer and Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP-2. I am not sure if the first CD Disk with Microsoft Windows XP Professional have SP-1 or not. Will that fix the registry in my desktop for firewall or Internet too from CD Disk or should I take the desktop to the computer repair store. If yes with CD Disk and tell me what to do in steps to repair the computer.

Thank you,

John

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 01:46:09 pm »
No, in fact I am just working on an update to one of my programs right now so I have some time.

Shot me an email, shane at tweaking.com

we will use teamviewer and I will connect to you and take a look :-)

Shane