Author Topic: Group policy  (Read 10114 times)

Offline jansue

• View Profile
Group policy
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:28 am »
Hi

I have run your repair v.2.6.2 (windows 7 home premium 64 bit but it has not solved my problem. Can you help....I am not a techie, just a home user...

I recently ran a Super anti spyware programme and then wanted to scan my system via AVG, but when I click on the AVG icon it says "This programme is blocked by group policy. For more information see your system administrator".  I am the administrator and so can only assume I have malware. I have also downloaded Malwarebytes but it is still not solved.

I cannot uninstall AVG either and so am afraid to download another anti virus software but I an now not protected.

Help???

Thanks
Sue

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Group policy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:20 am »
Malwarebytes anti rootkit should be able to help with that. One of the common thing a virus does is add reg keys in the system to tell Windows not to allow some programs to run. Malwarebytes is good at cleaning those :-)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/antirootkit/

Shane

Offline jansue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:42 am »
Thank you for replying.  I ran a Malwarebyte scan already and though it found some problems it did not rectify this one.
Is the rootkit something else I have to download?  I have since been on AVGs site to uninstall and now have Avast instead. AVG has gone but will the malware still be there somewhere?

Thanks again

Sue

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:33:05 am »
I am not of fan of AVG lol

Yes the anti rootkit tool is different than their normal scanner, it finds all the stuff their normal scanner does plus rootkits so I usually just use it instead :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:48:14 am »
Hi,
Remove super anti spyware from your computer and then do this.I first advise you use Avast free antivirus and there you opt for Boot time scanning. It will fix most the things.
                      If this does not solve, download junkware removal tool by thisusu from bleeping computer and run it one time to fix this issue.

The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jansue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:25:31 am »
Hi Jraju

I had already run different things when I saw your message.  So, I went onto AVG site to remove their software and put on Avast instead.  I was then worried that I would not know if the malware had gone, so I then did the Malwarebyte scan and installed rootkit.  I am also going to install Cleanmem as it is a quite old system.

All of this has been done without removing superantispyware....will this be a problem?  Also now that AVG has gone and trying to open it brought up the Group Policy message, because I am not trying to open it I don't know if it is solved.

Do you suggest that I still download the junkware removal tool?

Thanks a lot, I do appreciate your help.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:27 pm »
Hi, There is no harm to uninstall super anti spy ware after all this is done. Junk removal tool definitely helps in getting rid of browser hijack programs and trojans hidden as system files.
                 Using malware antibytes and avast boot scan would be enough, if they fix your problem. Avast is the best antivirus free to use and it has so many shields and took lesser space. This is also  best in av comparison in the av comparison link.
                    Bundled programs crept in to your pc and that is why this behaviour
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline jansue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 01:10:13 pm »
After doing all sorts of scans and checks, unloading and reloading spywares etc I thought I had resolved my problem with the pc.  However today I have tried to open Windows media player and it wont open.  If I right click on a video and choose open with windows media player it gives me an error message.

I have VLC so I can watch videos but cannot access my library in Windows media player.  The only message that makes any sense is Windows media player configuration settings might be set incorrectly.

How do I access it and correct it?

thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:45:51 am »
I dont like the normal Windows media player, it is so bloated! Also a lot of times the error has to do with a codec that it needs, which is a file that tells it how to play certain files.

I also and install this,
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/k_lite_mega_codec_pack.html

It will install all the codecs you need to play almost everything and it also has media player classic which is a simple unbloated player, thats the one I always use. But dont worry all the codecs will work with the normal media player as well :-)

Shane

Offline jansue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:46:49 am »
Hi

I already have Klite on my pc in order to play video files. 

The Windows media player just wont work and I am wondering if the same malware that seemed to affect my original problem is now manifesting itself this way?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »
Hard to tell, could just be a simple thing as well. Can you post a screen shot of the error message it gives you? Then I can research it and see what I find :-)

Shane