Author Topic: Windows update can't check for updates because the service is not running  (Read 5070 times)

Offline grnzrs

• View Profile
My son has a Lenovo running on Windows 8.  I was trying to update to 8.1 today and got the message 'Windows update can't check for updates because the service is not running.  You may need to restart your PC' when checking if there were any windows updates.  After searching on the web for a solution and trying many things, I called Microsoft and allowed one of the techs to remote into the laptop.  The tech tried many things as well, and ended up using the tools on Tweaking.com.  Bottom line is that the problem is not fixed.  I uninstalled the antivirus software and went through steps 1-5 again and did 'start repairs' and rebooted.  The problem is still happening.  Help!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
What happens when you go and try to start the service up itself, what error message do you get?

Do you know how to get to the services? And to make things world easier on finding things it would be a good idea to install classic shell so you can have a normal start menu back if you dont already have one installed :-)

http://www.classicshell.net/

Shane