Author Topic: How to get Windows 8.1 update 1  (Read 6375 times)

Offline parkd1

• View Profile
How to get Windows 8.1 update 1
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:32:15 am »
What is the best way to Windows 8.1? My mom and dad's lapto is an HP and it came with Window 8. We tried to update it to Windows 8.1 and it did the update but the control panel was missed up. Heard lots up people were having trouble with the Windows 8.1 update and the Windows 8.1 update 1 update. The laptop did not come with any cds. All the upgrades I have done in the past have worked great. Really thinks Microsoft  have really missed up this time with both of the updates and haye that they are forcing no updates unless you have Windows 8.1 update 1 installed. They should fix updates before they froce on updates unless you have Windows 8.1 update 1.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: How to get Windows 8.1 update 1
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:21:39 pm »
Personally I avoid the 8 to 8.1 update at all cost. If I have to reinstall Windows 8 for any reason I do it with a 8.1 disk. I grabbed an iso off the net. Then I avoid that whole mess.

Some people do a fresh install of 8 then do the 8.1 update first. Even then they sometimes still have trouble.

First MS says there will be no more service packs and SP2 will never come to 7 because service packs are to hard to do. So what do they do with 8.1? They call it an update even though it is as big as a service pack and has as many changes, but they wont call it a service pack, which is odd because knowing there is a service pack always made most people feel better because they know a service pack normally makes a OS better. MS really has to many hands in the pot and someone there keeps making one bad decision after another.

Shane

Offline madhouserevival

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:25:40 pm »
I was forced to use my 8.0 disk then immediately update to 8.1. I couldn't find a single 8.1 iso that is compatible with a Windows 8 standard OEM version (the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550 ). Irony of ironies the link Newegg provides to upgrade the "OEM Full" version is the Professional Edition 8.0 (not 8.1) upgrade (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416562 from the upgrade link), and it no longer available anyway. Last time I buy OEM.

Edit: Here's what I'm trying right now. I found Windows 8.1 with Update (multiple editions) (x64)  on Piratebay (murphy78 has tons of ISO untouched). I will add an ei.cfg file
[EditionID]
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

if that doesn't work then I'll try:

[EditionID]
[Channel]
OEM
[VL]

Wish me luck. I don't really need to do this as my system is setup nicely, I just can't stand not knowing if this can work!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:20:46 pm by madhouserevival »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:47:23 pm »
If you use the correct version of 8.1 and do a fresh install it should install without asking for a cd key as it will pull it from the bios if it is a store bought machine.

If it isnt and you have a keycode for 8 then install 8.1 using one of these install keys, then once installed just go to activate it and click change key and it will then accept the key you have, thats how I did mine :wink:

Windows 8.1 KMS Client keys

Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
Enterprise: MNDGV-M6PKV-DV4DR-CYY8X-2YRXH

These keys MS list right on their site and they are used just for installing 8.1 :-)

Shane