Author Topic: Moving OS W7 from HDD to SSD  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Racco

• View Profile
Moving OS W7 from HDD to SSD
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:48:32 am »
His Shane, in view of my last experience moving the W7 OS with the Windows App., I am writing to ask you How can I Move (with less pain), my Window 7 64B from the HDD (now) to a Samsung 840 EVO SSD?  This is for the Old Desktop; I am refreshing it.
Otherwise My plan is to leave the HDD there with the Data it contains.  Right now the HDD is partitioned as: C: OS; D: Data; E: Internal Backup.
My specific Questions:
What app would you recommend to use for the C: move?
Would you recommend I "re-partition" the drive? (I only want to keep data there).  However, I don't to lose the data I have there.

Thanks for the help, always.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Moving OS W7 from HDD to SSD
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:34:47 pm »
If you just want to replace the hard drive with the new one what I normally do is just a clone from the old drive to the new one. I use norton ghost for that, there are free ones out there as well.

If you are unable to have both drives hooked up at once to do that then I would create a clone image and save it to an external, then hook up the new drive and have the bootable ghost cd and have it restore the clone image to the new drive.

Shane

Offline Racco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:46:37 pm »
Thanks Shane.  I just want to move the OS,  leave the rest of the stuff in the HDD.  The EVO came with a cloning disk.  it is just that they do not explain how to move only one partition of the HDD.  It seems to be all or nothing.  They talk about a case where all the HDD may not fit in the SSD, but it gets messy from there.

I just want to move C:

I think I can do an internal connection for the cloning operation.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
Cloning does the whole drive, so if it wont fit I would move files off of it to an external. Then clone, then once done you can format the old drive and then move the files to it that you copied to the external :wink:

Shane

Offline Racco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:56:54 pm »
Good idea!   I think I will do that.
Thanks