Author Topic: Taskbar Slow To Respond When Desktop Wakes  (Read 11049 times)

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
Taskbar Slow To Respond When Desktop Wakes
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:48:47 am »
I have my computer power settings on high performance and I'm using Windows 7. Whenever I "get off" my computer--whether it's to go to bed or work--I leave the computer on and let the display turn off. When I come back to the computer hours later, I jiggle the mouse to "wake" the monitor and the time in my taskbar reads a time a few hours behind the present. I have also noticed that I cannot click on any icons on the taskbar during this time. After a few seconds, the time updates and I can click on the icons.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Not sure if I should check something hardware related or software related.

Offline chtcrack

• View Profile
Re: Taskbar Slow To Respond When Desktop Wakes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:17:56 am »
In general the hard disk problems more, but your specific configuration did not say it, not a good judge of that first, killing about viruses have a look, to observe when the computer is slow when the hard disk light Is it right? Kept flashing. It is not re install clean system a good rule :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »
Is the system going into sleep or hibernation, not just the screen turning off?

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 08:13:06 pm »
Technically, it's just the screen going off. I didn't know how to say it lol.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 09:48:47 am »
Did you double check to see if it was set to go into sleep mode or hibernation yet?

If you want to make sure hibernation is turned off, open a cmd.exe window as administrator and put in
powercfg -h off

That will turn hibernation off :wink:

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:10:10 pm »
It doesn't seem to be :confused:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:17:04 pm »
OK so the system isnt going into sleep mode at all, so windows and all the programs stay running, yet when the screen goes off and comes back on the taskbar is all screwy.

I do know that windows 7 uses the video card to do a lot of the drawing of the taskbar and aero and all that. So it uses the GPU, which is faster.

So when the screen goes off Windows is turning it off it must be simply killing the screen by the video card, the monitor doesnt detect a signal any more so goes into standby mode.

Which since the taskbar, which is draw by the video card is messing up then it looks like it is either a video driver problem, or a problem with the video card itself. But if it was a bad video card then a lot more things would be messing up, so first thing I think you should try is completely removing all traces of the video driver and then installing the newest ones :wink:

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:49 pm »
Thanks! I have actually done this many time. I use NVIDIA and have the latest driver. Could it be that there is another version that might be more compatible with my system? I do get confused on which features (?) to install. It gives me options to install some 3D driver or something, but I don't have anything that is 3D. Should I just install all of the features to the driver, even if I don't use them?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »
The trick is, is to remove every trace of the driver and settings for it so you get a fresh start and there isnt anything left over that might be causing it. After you remove it all you reboot to finish it and then install the drivers fresh, and just have it install the defaults of what it wants.

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 08:14:25 pm »
Thanks for the help! I did end up fixing the problem. Turns out another program called Video Genie was not agreeing with NVIDIA. I just uninstalled the program and the problem is solve. :artist:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:28 pm »
Ha, so it was something with the video  :cheesy:

Excellent I am glad you found out what was messing with the video and got it working.

Shane

Offline Knightmare

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 09:05:26 pm »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I knew it couldn't be a problem with the OS, which is what people were telling me.

Offline thetenfold

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:52:34 am »
I just want to add for future readers, that if you want to remove all traces of video drivers, check out Display Driver Uninstaller. It's for both NVIDIA and ATI/AMD.

You just boot into safe mode, run it, restart, and install new drivers. It turns off Windows Automatic Driver Installation, to prevent from re-installing a version you don't want.
After you properly install your new graphic drivers, open up Display Driver Uninstaller and set this back to default.

And of course, it's always good to backup your registry and make a restore point before doing this.

I also recommend checking the "Remove C:\AMD and or C:\NVIDIA folders" option, so Windows can't automatically re-install old drivers. The aforementioned option should take care of that, but if nothing else, this might free up some disk space.