Author Topic: Programs not running  (Read 16166 times)

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
Programs not running
« on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:46 pm »
Hello..... Again.

I recently decided to play Max Payne as it has been a good few months since i last played and after clicking the icon, the pointer wheel turns blue for a few seconds and then nothing  else happens. I also have Max Payne 2 and this is doing the same thing.
I have Splinter Cell 1 , 2 and 3 and they are working so it is not anything to do with graphics settings and the like.

Max Payne runs from and App called Steam and when i click "Play" from Steam i get nothing. If i try to close Steam (Exit it) i get a message telling me to close Max Payne first. Or, if i try to run Max v2 from desktop then try to run Max v1 from Steam, Steam thinks Max 2 is running. Clearly, something is being executed and is running or at least reports as running. I have run malware killers and system check many times. I have run All In One Windows repair but selected only to fix File Association because i am not sure what t he other issue could be.

Max 2 is NOT an installed program . It can be run on ANY system from anywhere. Even from a data stick. Wherever you click the EXE from, it will start and it is on a slave drive so i copy the whole content to my program files folder and try from there. Still nothing.

There may be an issue with other  programs but so far, i have not found any.

Any ideas ?

Thank you in advance.

Offline bonbonboi

• View Profile
    • FOX | Computer Services | Jordan
Re: Programs not running
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:31:56 am »
you need to check out Windows logs (Applications) for any  output regarding to the process name of that game.

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:27 am »
Hello.

That's nice. It would help if you gave actual details regarding the process and what to look for. That is usually the point of these forums.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 09:39:23 am »
To access Event Viewer go Start - type eventvwr then press enter.

You will have to wait for it to read the logs and then you will be presented with a list for Critical, Error and Info etc.

Hopefully you won't have any Critical but click on Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the right pane then look for errors with the date and time stamp when you had the problems.

Clicking on those will produce a brief explanation of what has stopped etc. with an Event ID.

If you find any applicable then click on Copy in the lower right pane and select Copy Details as Text and then you can paste it in the Reply box and Shane should probably be able to help you with those.

There's a blue Online help link you can click on which may or not give more info/solution.

Reliability history may also have something on this and is accessed by going Start - type reliability (or part of) then press enter as View reliability history will be highlighted.

Clicking on any red crosses or info for each date that has either of these will produce a report with a blue link for more info.

This article will give you more info on using the Event Viewer in Win 7 although some may apply to XP/Vista (don't know Win 8) http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues-that-cause-slower-boot-times/

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:08:28 am »
Hello. Thank you for the reply.

Here is an image of what evenvwr brings up and to be honest, i have no idea what i am meant to click or what i am even looking for. There is too many options and i know not what option i am meant to be choosing here. If it was a document of errors, i could select the dates pertaining to the date or errors i have and post them here. All i see is what you see in the image.

Thanks.

Offline bonbonboi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:11:09 am »
you need to check out Windows logs (Applications) for any  output regarding to the process name of that game. :omg:

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:44:54 am »
I looked at every log i see for the date and there is nothing with Max Payne in it. Just all Virtualization and kernal logs.

Offline bonbonboi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
I looked at every log i see for the date and there is nothing with Max Payne in it. Just all Virtualization and kernal logs.

your exe is crashing silently, try to debug the process

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:00:27 pm »
I likely would if i know what that was and how to do it. Telling me to do something and not give details upon the procedure seems a little  silly considering the point of these boards. You have Housewives on here who know zilch about these things.
If i know what you was telling me, i would not be here asking for help, now would i?

Thank's anyway.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:46 pm »
Even though other games run fine it doesnt mean that it will has well. Some games dont play nice with certain drivers or driver versions, sometimes the game itself has a bug or there is a file on the system it needs, like runtime files or perhaps directx reinstalled.

The hardest part is that the game is crashing without giving any error message at all. It is also possible that it isnt completely crashing so the exe is still running in the background, which would explain the message that the game is already running.

When that happens open task manager and take a look and see if you see anything about the game running. A good way to do that (In case you dont know the name of the exe) is in the task manager go to view and then select columns. In the list scroll down and put a check on "Command Line" and hit ok. Now you will have a new column of the command that was used to start each process and then you can use that to find any that are running from the games folder :wink:

First rule when dealing with a crashing game is to make sure you reinstall directx, have the latest sound and video drivers (Both of those will affect the game) and to make sure that any runtime files it needs are installed.

Most games have a redistribute folder in them, and normally the 3rd party files they need are there.

Shane

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:10 pm »
Hola Shane. How are you? Hope all is good :)

It does not crash. It refuses to start up. Both Max one and Max 2. Both start from a different source. They have been installed and working for about 2 years with no issues... ever on this or any other system i have run em on.

As aproducer, this system has more sound and visual drivers on it than most other systems. Everything is up to date or else 80% of my studio apps would not run.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:13:44 pm by Heatz123 »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:40:11 pm »
Did you also check the task manager like I said when steam says the game is already running to see if you can find any exe from the games folder that might be running?

Shane

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »
I will do that now. I did not want to start all that because i need the PC for work and after messing about, i have to reboot to close whatever is running (Something is running) even though the game does not start up. It is doing something.

I will report back shortly  :smiley:

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 03:47:18 pm »
Yes, it is running in task Manager.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 03:55:37 pm »
Ok so the exe is running, not crashing otherwise it wouldn't be running, but the game is not showing up and drawing. So sounds like the game is having trouble and technically is crashing since it isnt moving forward.

But I did find this, you are not the only person :-)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/12150/discussions/0/828937979068499775/

Shane

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »
That is for first timers who have a problem running them on Win7 These have had all the usual tweaks . I also had to download a special file because the Audio did not work and everything was fine. I have played and completed these about 6 times over. Not one issue ever. It has been quite a while since i have played them and i just wanted a break from other things so decided to hit em up. And this happened. Also, note, only Max 1 is on steam. Max 2 will run from ANYTHING! AND on any system so long as it has enough clout.

It does not need an install. It is unpacked and programmed to run from EXE . Simple.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 04:10:27 pm »
Without having the games I have no way to test to find out. But you do have the same problem where they run but thats it. And lots of people seem to. So tracing down what the causes is, is going to be tough. Other games work just fine, you know your system is ok. From the sounds of it the game is super picky, so most likly there is a runtime or something it needs.

I had a old game I loved to play called Dungeon Keeper 2, I could only get it to play on certain systems with certain drivers, newer drivers for the same video card wouldnt work.

So for your game are you using the same hardware since the last time you played it and if you are are you using newer drivers than from the last time you played?

Shane

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:16 pm »
 :artist: Yes, the Bat file WAS missing. How and when, i do not know. But i have got Max 2 working. Max 1 exe properties says it is located in a place i can not find inside Steam so i can not locate the Bat file and edit it.

I will go inside and try to find it. If i have any other issues on thins, i will let you know. But it seems ok for now as i have Max 2, at least ;)

Thank you for the help, Shane... Again   :cheesy:

Bravo..

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 04:23:55 pm »
No problem :-)

Shane

Offline Heatz123

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 04:28:24 pm »
Sent you a small donation. I meant to last time. You do a great job, Shane.

Have a great evening.

Mike..

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 04:30:50 pm »
lol thanks and you as well :-)

Shane