Author Topic: I need to import some registry keys. (SOLVED)  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Rusty.Not

• View Profile
I need to import some registry keys. (SOLVED)
« on: July 17, 2014, 03:16:36 pm »
Hi.  First time here.  My Toshiba W8.1 device became unstable.  While I research the best way to refresh/system restore it, I resort to using my XPSP3 laptop. Mainly for email and internet.

I expect to be using XP for an extended period.  I want to transfer Windows Live Mail messages and settings, which are stored in the registry. [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules\Mail].  I have backups of all my mail messages but I don't know how to retrieve the registry keys in the 8,1 device from within the WRE tools.  I doubt regedit is available.

I have been using Tweaking,com - Registry Backup v1.9.0 for both devices.  Here's my problem: I have the 8.1 reg backups on a USB drive.  I tried to get TRB to access the files, but it will only "see" the local path to restore.  I draw a blank.   :blank:

So is there a way to view and copy the registry keys I need, either with TRB or a third-party utility?

Off topic: this editor is the most feature-laden I've seen. (I've seen a lot since 1981)  :artist:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:01:05 pm by Rusty.Not »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: I need to import some registry keys.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:38:53 pm »
Dont try to restore the registry from the 8 system to xp, it will crash the system since that is the entire registry.

Instead on the 8 system that has the keys you need just go to the keys in regedit and right click on it and hit export. It will save as a .reg file. Then take that file to the xp system and double click on it and it will get added to the registry :wink:

Shane

Offline Rusty.Not

• View Profile
Re: I need to import some registry keys. (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:11:41 pm »
Dont try to restore the registry from the 8 system to xp, it will crash the system since that is the entire registry.

Instead on the 8 system that has the keys you need just go to the keys in regedit and right click on it and hit export. It will save as a .reg file. Then take that file to the xp system and double click on it and it will get added to the registry :wink:

Shane

You were right!  :cheesy:  I was wrong. :confused:  "I doubt regedit is available." Regedit  was available in 8.1 WRE.

You the man.. er "dog"   :wink: