Author Topic: Network & Sharing Centre Crashes on Video Call  (Read 15106 times)

Offline BigBritishGuy

• View Profile
Network & Sharing Centre Crashes on Video Call
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:09:42 pm »
Hello all!

First off, I am brand new here, I came here after being recommended the 'Windows Repair' tool to fix my problem, but alas... it didn't work.  :undecided: So hello everybody!  :cheesy:

Anyway, I have a problem that is causing me ridiculous amounts of stress. and I only hope you guys can help me. I have searched the depths of google for a fix but it seems that no one else has ever experienced anything like this before... Here goes, ill give as much info as possible:

I start a video call using Google+ Hangouts (also applies to Oovoo and Skype) and after anywhere between 2 to 30 minutes of video chatting, the ENTIRE internet functionality of my PC will completely crash, and i mean EVERYTHING. The Network and Sharing Centre completely goes, all my programs that use internet (Steam, Dropbox) all freeze up, with everything being unable to be shut down or restarted. The only way to bring my PC back to working order is by shutting it down completely...

Low and behold, that also doesnt work. My PC just hangs on the 'Shutting Down' screen forever, meaning i have to forcibly restart it.

I have narrowed it all down to know for a fact this ONLY happens when i am on any and all varietys of video chat software (doesn't crash on just voice chat). I have done everything in my knowledge to try and fix this, Virus + Malware Scans, PatchmyPC, Windows Repair, AVG Tuneup, Killing processes and services, but nothing works. I have even asked for help on the official windows website but everyone on there is clueless too.

Please, i need someone to help me or at least provide a little info on why this could be happening. Video calls are extremely important in my life, and i need this fixed.

I can provide any extra info if need be. (my specs are attached)

Thanks in advance guys! :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Network & Sharing Centre Crashes on Video Call
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:27:29 pm »
I dont think it is a virus, I think you have a drive crashing and is what is causing everything.

When windows shuts down it will hang if it is unable to stop a driver. So the question is, which driver is doing it? Cam driver? Video Driver? Audio? network?

The first thing to do, since we dont know which driver is causing it, is to make sure you have the latest versions of all those drivers, including the chipset drivers. have you done that yet?

Shane

Offline BigBritishGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:57:05 am »
I dont think it is a virus, I think you have a drive crashing and is what is causing everything.

When windows shuts down it will hang if it is unable to stop a driver. So the question is, which driver is doing it? Cam driver? Video Driver? Audio? network?

The first thing to do, since we dont know which driver is causing it, is to make sure you have the latest versions of all those drivers, including the chipset drivers. have you done that yet?

Shane

Hey, Thanks for the response.

I have updated all my drivers since this started happening, I will go over them all again just in case. I am using the "search automatically for updated driver software" on the Device Manager, is this okay? or should I download all the drivers myself and install them manually?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:36:13 am »
You have to download them and install them.

Tell me what driver version you have for each one and I will see if I can find some updates. Make sure to let me know the name of each one as well so I look for the right driver :-)

SO I need device name and driver version. And if your computer is a store bought machine let me know the make and model, that way I can look up the specs if I need to.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:27 am »

Shane

Hey, Thanks for the response.

I have updated all my drivers since this started happening, I will go over them all again just in case. I am using the "search automatically for updated driver software" on the Device Manager, is this okay? or should I download all the drivers myself and install them manually?

It's always best to do them manually as Windows rarely has the latest drivers, but have you checked Event Viewer or Reliability history to see what they report.

You haven't said which OS you are using but with Win 7 you can run Disk Cleanup as an admin by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator as well as going Start - type %temp% - press enter and if there are a substantial number of files in there, then go Organize - Select all - Organize - Delete - confirm then check the box and click in Skip as the system could be getting bogged down with temp files etc.

This could also be a memory problem and unfortunately the Memtest86+ site appears to be down, but you can leave just one RAM module installed and run Windows own memory test then repeat the procedure with each of the remaining sticks - being careful only to handle them by their edges and laying them down on a non conductive surface when removed.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:53:59 am »
The Memtest86+ site is up again and you may find this tutorial useful in using it http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/246994-guide-to-using-memtest86/

Offline BigBritishGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:16:28 am »
You have to download them and install them.

Tell me what driver version you have for each one and I will see if I can find some updates. Make sure to let me know the name of each one as well so I look for the right driver :-)

SO I need device name and driver version. And if your computer is a store bought machine let me know the make and model, that way I can look up the specs if I need to.

Shane

My computer is a custom build. I posted my specs on my first post. majority of the drivers you need should be available from that?

My camera is a Logitch HD Pro C920
And i have a list of network adapters attached, the one i use is the NETGEAR WNDA4100.

Just an update, i was on a video call last night for over 40 mins without problems. this was after I ran Windows Repair again... i cant be sure wether it was just a one time thing though.

EDIT: Just been on another video call, it crashed within 5 minutes. :/

Thanks for your help so far. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:46:49 am by BigBritishGuy »

Offline BigBritishGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 06:20:13 am »
The Memtest86+ site is up again and you may find this tutorial useful in using it http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/246994-guide-to-using-memtest86/

Hi!

I have checked my Disks and RAM as well as pretty much everything else with a variety of programs, including Memtest. Everything seems okay. thanks for your help though :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 07:19:44 am »
When you ran the memtest did you run it on just one stick at a time as you should ?

You will be able to get the drivers from the mobo support site, but as there appear to be more than one version of the AUSTEK P8Z77-(LGA1155), it would be best for you to Google for your model.

As you are using the Netgear USB wireless adapter only, then go into Device Manager/Network adapters - right click on the Atheros and select Disable.

Not sure why you have two Gigabit showing or two MS Virtual WiFi Miniports - unless you are using them, but the Miniports can cause connectivity problems and disabling those as well could help if not in use.

Edit - Have you checked Event Viewer to see what is stopping when Skype crashes, any Errors will have the Date & time stamp on them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:36:14 am by Boggin »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 08:43:42 am »
Yes the specs in the first post has the info I need. Sorry I missed that, not use to people actually giving me the info I need in the first post LOL
Also when I am answering so many post during the day I need to forget to double check.

But the first post doesnt tell me what driver versions each one has, I still need that info.

I am about to head out the door to go setup 8 new computers I built for a customer, so I wont be back till late. Shoot me a reminder post later and I will go driver hunting :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 05:04:00 pm »
If any drivers on the mobo support site post-date your build then they will be newer versions.

Offline BigBritishGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:22:30 am »
Hey guys,

sorry for the lack of response, been very busy these last few days, ill have a list of drivers for you soon. thanks to everyone so far for your help :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 05:50:47 pm »
I install the free version of Slimdrivers occasionally to check that mine are up to date and then uninstall it when I'm done as it tends to run in the background even when it isn't booted up.

http://www.driverupdate.net/

Offline BigBritishGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 09:17:06 am »
I install the free version of Slimdrivers occasionally to check that mine are up to date and then uninstall it when I'm done as it tends to run in the background even when it isn't booted up.

http://www.driverupdate.net/

I installed Slimdrivers and went through my entire PC updating drivers, and there were a LOT of them to do!  :cheesy:

i tried Google hangout again afterwards and was in a consistent video call (both sides) for over 2 hours. I cant say for sure that my problem has been fixed but that has the longest I have gone without a crash for a long time now. I will keep testing over the course of this week and report back if I have a crash. If not, I will mark this topic as solved.

Thanks for all your help guys, Shane and Boggin. you guys are the best.  :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:16 am »
That sounds like a result  :smiley:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 05:03:40 pm »
I normally stay away from driver download programs, but sounds like this one might have done the trick :-)

Let me know how it goes after some more testing with it. Good to see it may have been a driver problem like I thought :wink:

Shane