Author Topic: envelope printer 1.2.0 portable - why admin rights?  (Read 6102 times)

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
envelope printer 1.2.0 portable - why admin rights?
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:02 pm »
Hi,

I run as a Limited User for security reasons.

Why does "E.P. 1.2.0 Portable" throw up a user account control dialog box, which requires me to enter my Admin credentials?  It's a simple envelope printer -- no way it should need Admin rights to run!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: envelope printer 1.2.0 portable - why admin rights?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 08:57:16 pm »
Force of habit more than anything. For a program to touch anything outside of the current user profile you normally need admin rights. I didnt test it under a restricted user.

But it is easy to change :-)

Edit the file EnvelopePrinter.exe.manifest with notepad. This file is sued to tell windows what extra stuff the program needs, such as running under admin. I dont compile it with the exe like other programs do, this way a user can edit it if needed.

Once it is open in notepad just remove this

<security>
        <requestedPrivileges>
          <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" />
        </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>

Then save and you are done, you may need to reboot, maybe not. Sometimes windows keeps the manifest in cache and wont reread the file again till reboot. :wink:

After you remove that it will no longer ask to be run with admin rights.

Shane

Offline rpesq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:55:38 am »
Excellent, thanks. 

I would suggest that you consider making this the default behavior, at least for the portable version.  One of the aspects of using portable apps is that a person often does not even have access to the admin credentials (such as a cubicle worker).  And other security-conscious users, who run as Limited Users, do so for a reason and do not expect to have to enter passwords for non-system-level apps.  -My opinion-

Thanks for the great apps that you offer.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:32 am »
Yeah, since I have the program keep the address book in the same folder as the program it has to have admin rights to even write to its own folder when it is installed in the program files folder.

Otherwise a program has to keep the folders and such stored in the appdata of the user profile. Something I may do down the line.

Again, when I put the program out I made it for myself because I needed it, so I thought why not make it again free program for the site. I didnt actually think anyone would use it, and man was I wrong on that lol

Shane