Author Topic: Unable to create restore pointmy  (Read 8337 times)

Offline bowers18

• View Profile
Unable to create restore pointmy
« on: August 10, 2014, 03:42:13 pm »
When I try to creater a restore point, I get the message "unable to locate file (0x80042308)" I have run through Tweaking from start to finish, and it does not help. My machine runs an Athlon quad-core CPU, 2.2 Ghz, Win 7 sp1, 4 Gb RAM, many gigs of free disk space.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to create restore pointmy
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 04:39:50 pm »
Can you check to see if any auto restore points have been created and in Configure, check to see how much has been used in comparison to what the space has been set to.

Sometimes your anti virus program or other programs in msconfig/Startup can prevent a manual restore point being created.

To isolate all of those - boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you can manually create the restore point.

If that is successful then restart the computer and go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Startup tab, note which programs have their boxes checked then click on Disable all.

Try to create another restore point after the restart and if that is successful, then it is one of those Start up items as your AV program will have reinstated itself in the partial clean boot and you will need to re-enable one item at a time - restart and attempt the manual restore point for each item until you get the error message again.

If the restore point fails again, then that will point to your AV program blocking.

If you are unable to create a restore point in either of those modes, open a command prompt as an admin and run a system file check.

If you need this - go Start - type cmd.exe - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - Accept the UAC and at the prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.

This will take about 15 mins to run and will give it's report on completion.

If that finds no violations - at the next prompt type chkdsk and press enter.

That will give its report in the text regarding any bad files in the volume, but you are looking to see if it reports anything other than 0 KB Bad sectors.

Let us know what the sfc /scannow and chkdsk report if you need to go that far.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:11:41 pm »
Forgot to add, go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy - right click on it and select Properties.

It could be set to Manual but you can change this to Automatic and click on Start - OK

Then scroll down to Windows Backup and do the same.

Close Services by clicking on File - Exit and reboot then try the restore points again if the previous steps have gotten you nowhere and the HDD doesn't have any bad sectors in it.

Offline bowers18

• View Profile
Re: Unable to create restore point
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 05:25:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have tried most if not all those steps, but not necessarily in that order. There are no restore points at all, neither manual nor automatic. I'll work on this tomorrow.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:03:34 am »
Before you start doing any diagnostics, download the free version of MBAM and run a scan with that should this have been caused by an infection. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

This article takes you through some more suggestions but I've found that when making a back up of the registry, just do it for the folder you are going to make changes in as the full registry cannot be restored from a backup when it is in use - so in this case you would click on DgiVcp/File/Export, although as I don't have that item listed in my registry, that step could also be academic for you.  http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what-to-do-about-missing-windows-7-restore-points/

This may not apply in your case but I've come across where a 3rd party Defragger program had removed the restore points, so if you are using one of those I would advise you to dump it and just use Windows own, which I've always found to be very effective.

Offline bowers18

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:05:58 am »
I've been running the Pro (paid) version of MBAM for months.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:04:36 am »
I've been running the Pro (paid) version of MBAM for months.

Well at least you shouldn't have to worry about an infection then.

How are you getting on with the other steps ?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:36 pm »
Try system restore again, after you get the error go check the event viewer and see if it logged anything about the error. If we can find exactly what the error is complaining about we might be able to fix it :-)

Shane