Author Topic: Window Repair v2.8.5 Win 7 Pro v6.1 64-bit not working  (Read 7699 times)

Offline DavidRidlen

• View Profile
Window Repair v2.8.5 Win 7 Pro v6.1 64-bit not working
« on: August 11, 2014, 12:19:39 am »
Hello,

Tweaking Window Repair v2.8.5 Win 7 Pro v6.1 64-bit seems to just go thru the same unending cycle of initially showing no disc errors, then showing errors after reboot, then clearing them, then showing them again, back and forth endlessly.  I have repeated the exact same steps below, with two different drives, and I wind up going thru the same cycle that never ultimately fixes.   It is doubtful that I have two bad drives with the same odd, off-&-on errors. 

I install, and format a new system drive. 

Install Win7 Pro from original install dvd. 

Power reset, run Windows Repair.

Malware scan is clean. 

Check Disc 1 shows no errors

File Check shows errors.  Reboot.

Now, Check Disc 1 DOES show errors (?).   Run Check Disc 2.  Windows disk check shows no errors (0 bad files).  Reboot.

Check Disc 1 shows no errors for 2nd time.  But File Check continues to show errors.

Run Start Repairs.  Reboot. 

Check Disc 1 shows disc errors for 2nd time (?).   Run Check Disc 2 again.  Windows disk check shows no errors.   Reboot.

Check Disc 1 shows no errors for 3rd time.   

Run File Check again, no errors.  Should all be good now.  Reboot.   

But now Check Disk 1 finds errors again for 4th time (?!).  Run Check Disc 2, reboot. 

Check Disc 1 shows no errors again for 4th time.   File Check shows no errors.  Reboot. 

Check Disc 1 shows disc errors yet again, for 5th time. 

So I try this all over again with a different drive, from scratch, and I get the same cycle of "errors" and "no errors" that never end. 

But, if I ignore all this, and proceed to use Auto Updates to install essential updates, then the system starts 'blue screen' crashing often.   And I am unable to install SP1 at all- it either hangs, errors, or acts like it installed, but never actually does (after install, SP 1 fails to show in System Info, and IE continues to refuse to update until SP1 is installed).   

I cant figure out what is going on.   I am unable to get Win 7 to run properly after updates, and SP1 refuses to install, on two different drives.  MS support is so far clueless also.   

Thanx.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:33:37 am by DavidRidlen »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Window Repair v2.8.5 Win 7 Pro v6.1 64-bit not working
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:21:04 am »
To confirm the state of your HDD, create a bootable disk for Seatools for DOS and see what that makes of it and then the SP1 install problem can be addressed if your HDD is problem free http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

This System Update Readiness Tool may help with the SP1 installation http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:12:03 pm »
Tweaking Window Repair v2.8.5 Win 7 Pro v6.1 64-bit seems to just go thru the same unending cycle of initially showing no disc errors, then showing errors after reboot, then clearing them, then showing them again, back and forth endlessly

Actually my program isnt doing this. Windows is. My program simply calls chkdsk and the looks to see if any errors are reported from chkdsk.

So I have seen what you are talking about on multiple systems. Turns out this is a common problem with chkdsk. When it scans the hard drive in read only mode and it happens to scan a file that is in the middle of being written to then it will say there is an error (Even though there isnt)

And when you do a boot time scan it isnt chkdsk that does the scan but a different exe called autochk.exe

It is a version that is meant to run outside of windows. And of course it can show different results.

So because windows is a pain like this, the best option is to do this. If chkdsk reports any errors then do the boot time scan, and if once autochk.exe is done, go to the event viewer and check the log for it. If it says no errors and it is good then you dont need to do the chkdsk again :wink:

Shane

Offline DavidRidlen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 06:51:22 pm »
Thanks all!

Running System Readiness Tool first resulted in a "CheckSur.exe has stopped working, check online for solution.  ... "  ?  At another point, it ran without errors, but SP1 still refused to install. 

But I first want to definitively determine the drive is ok. 

Whenever I try to burn a bootable CD/DVD, like in the SeaTools suggestion,  it never works as a bootable disc for some reason.  Tutorials describe options that I dont see on screen.   Currently, the only blank media I have are dual-DVDs that I would rather not waste any more of.   Surely, there is a simpler way. 

But, I started the Windows Repair process over with the new, formatted drive, and new Win7 install.

The 1st chkdsk scan shows errors.  So, I run 'boot time' autochk.exe.  Reboot. The 2nd chkdsk scan shows no errors.

In Event Viewer, I am not sure what to look for.  In searching Windows Logs for "chkdsk" nothing turns up (?), as I read it should.   'Admin Events' shows some errors during Win7 install.  And two errors from during the 2nd chdsk scan in Win Repair (although Win Repair showed 'no errors'), regarding "Volume Shadow Copy Service," reading it may be related to Win7 install errors.  I assume these are not the dskchk errors I am looking for (?). 

I run a 2nd boot-time autochk- no errors.  Admin Events then shows "Warning... Windows detected a registry file still in use..."(?).  So if I dont see any chkdsk errors, I guess this means my drive is ok (?).   

Run File Checker- "found corrupt files.. unable to fix".   Reboot.

Open 'Start Repairs' - reads 'reg back up failed...' (?).  Run Start Repairs.   Reboot.

File Checker shows 'corrupt files... unable to fix' again.   

So 'Start Repairs' does not seem to help to fix whatever File Checker is finding wrong with my Windows 7 files.   
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 07:17:52 pm by DavidRidlen »

Offline DavidRidlen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:39 pm »
Update:

On my 4th call to MS support, a rep finally got SP1 to install during remote assistance. 

She also ran a System File Checker thru command prompt and it showed no file errors, where Windows Repair did show file errors (?). 

Sorry, but at this point, I dont trust however Windows Repair is functioning.   It repeatedly indicated disc and file errors that do not seem to actually be there.   

The rep ran something else in cmd I could not follow, and she cleared temps files, and altered some services before installing SP1, and then it worked.    But, when attempting to install some other 'important' updates, I continue to get various errors and system crashes.   

I really dont like computers.   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:18:00 am »
Sorry, but at this point, I dont trust however Windows Repair is functioning.   It repeatedly indicated disc and file errors that do not seem to actually be there.

Again, my program ISNT doing those scans as I said in my last post. It is simply opening a cmd.exe window and having windows do it. The chkdsk log that looks at is saved in the logs folder with the program and is the chkdsk that is in windows. I explained in my last post how chkdsk is know to give false reports of errors because the drive is in use at the time.

And when my program does the system file checker it simply calls sfc /scannow in a cmd.exe window.

Again my program is simply calling windows to do the scans just like a user would. It is what Windows reports back that my program tells you. My program doesnt do scans of any kind of its own. It uses all Windows built in tools. :wink:

Shane