Author Topic: HELP ! All in one Repair 2.86 seems to hang on startup  (Read 11234 times)

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
HELP ! All in one Repair 2.86 seems to hang on startup
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:46 am »
Emachine Laptop
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Service Pack1

Hello guys im new to these forums but i love the all in one repair tool and use it frequently !!!

So heres my issue. I have used the tweaking windows all in one repair probably 1000 times or more but i have encountered a customers computer that I am working on repairing, where i think some type of weird or corrupt file permissions may be causing the all in one repair tool to just hang. Some evidence of why im certain there are permission issues or something along those lines is: when i try to run the chkdsk option it does not run within the repair tool. I had to manually use some special code to finally get chkdsk to run on my own outside the all inone repair option and it did. When i try to use the system file check option in windows repair as well, a command window just quickly pops up and then disappears within milliseconds and no work is performed. Again, running this tool outside tweaking windows work. Now when i try to actually run the repair part, everything starts out normal until it gets to the repairs. As soon as it starts i again see a command window very briefly popup and then disappear and then the program just continues to run (for hours if i leave it) and does nothing. I have went into the task manager as well to see if any cpu is being used by windows repair just to see if its actually trying to work and it just hangs at 00 and the odd time jumps to 01 thats it. I have run many virus scans and nothing is coming up. I have malwarebytes premium on the computer in question and it has found nothing. I have however noticed that when i try to run some other freeware type programs like junkware removal etc. they also seem to hang and not work properly. I have even manually attempted to make sure this user account has ownership and permission rights to all files on this pc in case that was a problem but that doesnt seem to fic things either. Tried some tweaks as well from reading other forums on this site, such as unchecking the first 3 or 4 options like repair registry etc. to no avail. It still just hangs at the repair start process. It does go through the clean mean memory thing etc. but thats it.I am stumped and any ideas would be great !! If some screen shots are needed as well let me know. And i know if i can get the all in one program to scan through and repair through each stage it will fix many of the issues i am having on this laptop, its just getting the program to work that has me confused :(

P.S. - in these current versions, when running correctly, i should constantly see command windows etc. popping up as it progresses through correct? And obviously in the right side pane of the program i should see details as it progresses through the stages which i dont see.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:17:43 am by ITTECHGEEK »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: HELP ! All in one Repair 2.86 seems to hang on startup
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 11:16:55 am »
The program outputs the commands it is going to run to bat files that goes into the user profiles temp folder and then are called to run.

Sounds like it isnt able to make those bat files or something else is going on.

I would however, love to connect to the computer and look at it myself. because if I can find what is keeping the repairs from running then I can replicate it here, then I can add something to the program to look for that :-)

Shane

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:18:43 am »
Sounds great shane. If you like i can go to to the computer in question and let you remote in. Just let me know what u need me to do :)

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:19:20 am »
Im not currently posting to these forums from the pc in question but i have it right here so just let me know what i can do :)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 11:20:19 am »
Just had another user email me about the same thing and they are going to let me connect to take a look. Afterwards I can take a look at yours.

Send me an email
shane at tweaking.com

I have to leave for a job soon so we will have to play it by ear :-)

Shane

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:22 am »
Ok thanks Shane. Should i email you from the computer in question or does it matter?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 11:23:42 am »
That doesnt matter.

When I do connect to you we will use teamviewer. Shot me an email and we will stay in touch and find a time we are both on so i can take a look :-)

Shane

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:24:47 am »
sounds good and email is sent. Good news is the current pc in question already has teamviewer installed as well so that saves me time

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:25:31 am »
Got the email and replied, talk to you soon :-)

Shane

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 11:46:57 am »
going on teamviewer now

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 11:49:13 am »
info sent as requested

Offline ITTECHGEEK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 01:03:09 pm »
Thanks for all your help Shane. It is working fine using another profile so it was that damn ampersand (&) in the username causing issues. How strange!! Going to use a new profile, transfer all pertinent files and then just delete these old junk profiles. Thanks for all your assistance !!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »
Happy to help, and thanks for letting me find the problem :-)

Shane