Author Topic: vista home edition system restore fails  (Read 28951 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: vista home edition system restore fails
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »
Let me know how it goes when it happens again and you unplug it. At least that way we can take the keyboard off the list of things to check :-)

Shane

Offline gsiamrod

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:45 pm »
Having hard time repluing. Page knockes off & have to start over. Ckdsk no errors. Will check if Process Exp is up to date. Insafe mode, no different. Should I dnld ESET anyway? Congrats on anniversary. Today I had a new great grandson! Jamison!! Will have to post quick or may kick off.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
Have you unplugged the keyboard yet, I just want to get that out of the way before we try other things :wink:

Shane

Offline gsiamrod

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 09:07:38 pm »
My posts must not be showing? My last two are not on this page. Going to try suggestions & can get back if antique allows. Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:07 am »
If the keyboard is eliminated as a cause and this is an OEM machine, then backing up your personal files to external media and doing a factory reset would probably be the best option.

And Congratulations on the birth of your new grandson  :smiley:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:21:35 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 03:03:05 am »
Hi, Appearing of Kb article no is totally a strange thing. Your computer is definitely infected with some bad modules, that even JRt could not fix it. Try Combofix as suggested by Shane, otherwise there is nothing other than Hi, Boggins Idea above
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 10:02:05 am »
Any chance with the keyboard today so we can cross it off the list?

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:36 am »
As well as running Combofix, you can also still run ESET Online Scanner in Safe Mode with Networking and while  either of these programs will pick up Trojans/Viruses etc. they may not see PuPs as malware.

I've seen both MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware report that they have found and removed PuPs just for them to return.

You could try JRT in Safe Mode to see if it fares any better, but I've found a safe download site for AdwCleaner which is specifically designed for dealing with PuPs and is probably also best downloading and running in Safe Mode with Networking https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

This program doesn't install on your computer unless you select Save and then run its .exe Application from wherever you have your computer set to save downloads.

With this program, click on Clean and it may list items in the Results window below - if there is anything in there that you want to keep, then uncheck those boxes - otherwise when the Scan has completed, click on Report and it will show you what it has found.

Close the Report then click on Clean, follow the prompts and it will produce another report of what it has cleaned after the reboot.

Offline gsiamrod

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 06:01:49 pm »
Am testing again by trying to post here. Mine are not posting, sometimes disappear. Did an eset, found 2 and corrected them. Ran Combofix and found more& fixed them. Procss Explorer points to Norton. Have it turned off right now and CP seems to act ok?? Thanks guys, I think I will get rid of Norton. Should know by tomorrow if all is well Thanks to each who took their time to help. Rod

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
Great :-)

Let me know how it goes after some time passes.

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 11:00:30 pm »
Hi,Gsia
                When you uninstall Norton, be sure to have Avast free antivirus free, which has 8 sheilds directy, and it also blocks suspicious sites. It has boot time scan and  all that you need. It is free and recommended by Shane to me, when i was having mcafee and norton.
                   For 2 years there is no virus attack .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 01:23:40 am »
I use Norton 360 usually without any problems, but I don't use any other AV program with it.

While it appears you can run Avast with other AV programs because Avast doesn't have its own firewall, running two AV programs together can cause problems.

When you open Norton (although don't know which version you are using), click on Support and it will run a check on its installation and look for any other problems.

Process Explorer doesn't flag Norton for me and I think I would prefer Norton to Avast.

Symantec have a Remove & Reinstall tool which you can also use if Norton has become buggy.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Once it has fully reinstalled and activated the product, you need to manually check for updates (at least I do) until you get the non needed.

If you are intent on removing Norton then use the NRT to ensure all of it is gone.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:30:14 am by Boggin »

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 04:36:37 am »
Hi, But norton is slow i think in removing the attacks. Symantec has not improved that much as others. Shane has given a link, where the AV are compared and then he suggested the AVAST. Avast , in my personal view, is the best program. I will try to post the link, that Shane has recommended

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 08:00:17 am »
I've been using Norton 360 for nearly 5 year and it has kept me safe.

Norton used to slow things down but it has been improved over the years.

I once uninstalled Norton and installed MSE - which is supposed to be lightest of all on resources and I didn't notice any difference in performance.

For Process Explorer to have snagged Norton for Rod, then it must have become buggy which it can do if there's been a buggy Definitions update or one of the infections has disrupted its install, but a Remove & Reinstall would fix that.

It would have been interesting to know what ESET and Combofix had found and removed as Norton is normally pretty good at keeping things out, although no AV program is 100% effective and we don't know Rod's browsing habits.

Offline gsiamrod

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
Folks, thanks for all the help each of you have posted on my problems on this machine. The keyboard was going haywire! Also had bad virus that I finally got rid of with mbam and combofix. Also, got rid of many unused programs and scraping Norton. Too many virus programs open interferring with each other. Ran all in one and machine humms now. Faster than when it was out of the box.Boot up is fast and also shutdown. Sorry for not getting back here earlier, but personal problems came first. Thanks!!
PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:12 am »
So it was the keyboard lol

Good to know and we got some viruses cleaned up. I would say that is a double win :-)

Shane

Offline gsiamrod

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 12:15:39 pm »
Thanks. got her runnin good! Mouse must have also been bad making ctrl and scroll wheel make icons big on desktop as well as on the web.Threw them both in trash and got new. Sometimes, the script and icons on web pages would grow and shrink. Weird. All is well . Rod

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 01:49:48 am »
Hi, Gsiamrod,
                    Please go to your first post on this subject, choose edit and then type (solved) before your query to make this as solved thread. If it does not allow, just trim your question to accommodate this (solved)