Author Topic: Ethernet NIC works in 7 not xp on same laptop  (Read 41154 times)

Offline jraju

• View Profile
Re: Ethernet NIC works in 7 not xp on same laptop
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:43 am »
Hi,
             Did you try this link. HP has not given support to their products with some old products.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-57856-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3651452
Update:
Try this link
http://www.hp-drivers-download.com/download/hp/sp56998.exe.html
Download this driver to your computer and then right click select properties and select compatible tab and then select Windows xp system, instead of win 7, to give the compatibility and then close.Then right click the same exe and then choose Run as administrator. I think that this will fix your problem
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:07:15 am by jraju »
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 06:28:39 am »
Try this link
http://www.hp-drivers-download.com/download/hp/sp56998.exe.html
Download this driver to your computer and then right click select properties and select compatible tab and then select Windows xp system, instead of win 7, to give the compatibility and then close.Then right click the same exe and then choose Run as administrator. I think that this will fix your problem

I've been to that site before.  You download DriverNavigator_Setup.exe from that site and that link.

Are you saying that I download a driver meant for Windows 7, go into my Windows 7 partition, give XP compatibility, then it will turn a Windows 7 driver into a Windows XP driver?

This is the first time I've heard of that.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2014, 06:35:19 am »
Hi, I meant , when you are in xp platform

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:49 am »
Hi, I meant , when you are in xp platform

So let me get this straight.  I download Windows 7 drivers, go into compatibility mode while in XP, and choose what?  Compatibility mode in XP has ONLY the following choices:
-windows 95
-Windows 98 / ME
-Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 5)
-Windows 2000

I don't understand how a Windows 7 driver will work in Windows XP while attempting to use any of those compatibility modes available.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:21 am »
Well this thread has been going on for over 4 pages now. We know the network card is good since it works fine in windows 7.

I will be in my office working on an update to the windows repair, so if you happen to be on when I am I can teamviewer in to the xp side and see what i can find. I could even then also transfer over the older drivers I use and see how they do. Since wireless works on it I should be able to connect. Otherwise I have a feeling this thread will go on for a while, and sometimes, me being able to get my hand son it will allow something to pop up and stick out that I might notice and we can find the answer. Dont know if I will find the answer but process of elimination usually does the trick :-)

Shane

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:31 pm »
I wish I'd been on a little earlier!  It's 4:11pm eastern (daylight savings) time now.  Your idea of using teamviewer is excellent!  I really appreciate your interest and apologize for taking up so much forum space and your time.  I also appreciate the fact that you didn't arrogantly decide that I'm a moron for wanting XP to work on the laptop.  I've received that kind of disdain elsewhere in the form of the question, "Why do you want to use an obsolete OS?"  I finally had to answer with the only answer that would quiet them: personal preference.

I guess I've become too fixated on the problem.  It's really annoying since I've been able to get all the other devices working.  At least I'll be able to post all the drivers I've on the HP forum for anyone else doing a Google search.  I've discovered Mediafire can be useful for this.  I'll post a link here also, if you like, for all the drivers.  After I reload XP from backup (at a much earlier install point), reinstall the drivers, make sure everything works again...except for the ethernet adapter of course.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »
Im in Oregon so only 1:24 pm for me.

I didnt question why you had XP because I fix computers all the time iwth XP and some users have to stay with XP because of older software or something else. The OS works, so what do I care if someone wants to stay on it? I dont use XP any more no, BUT I do have xp loaded up in vmware and is where I do all my programming in old school VB6. So I use XP daily myself :-)

Im online if you want me to take a look, send me an email, shane at tweaking.com

Shane

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »
Wish I could, (really!) but I have to leave for an appointment in a few minutes.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »
OK, just hit me up when you are back, going to be pulling a late night working on an update for WR, so lets just play it by ear :-)

Shane

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:04 am »
Hi, Shane,
                        The thread owner is trying to get internet connection with the xp mode. I have read his thread in the HP fourm, which so much eluding solutions were given by an expert in HP. Normally the laptop model he owns only support Windows 7. There was an article in this regard by HP. But Normally changing the compatibility may work in some cases where there are no restrictions in the program itself. I use so many programs which is not supported by Window7, but changing the compatibility to windows xp, some programs and drivers are working for me and I do feel that you could easiy fix in your team viewer process.
                         I happen to see the thread, when i tried to find a solution to his problem. I tried to download the drivers particular to his product on my computer, where there is no xp in select your computer OS. It only list in Win 7 and  8. Thank you, Shane