Author Topic: Ethernet NIC works in 7 not xp on same laptop  (Read 41012 times)

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
Ethernet NIC works in 7 not xp on same laptop
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:30:17 pm »
I have an HP DM1-4010us entertainment laptop that I bought used recently.  It came with Windows 7 64 bit.  I installed Windows XP pro sp3 32 bit on a second partition to dual boot.  The ethernet NIC works perfectly in Windows 7, but not in Windows XP.  The attached is screenshot of the problem that the network diagnostic scan showed in XP.  The address 192.168.8.1 is that of the router.  I'd appreciate any help.  This is one of the oddest problems I've ever encountered!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:35:53 pm by sfeinbe »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ethernet NIC works in 7 not xp on same laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 02:19:11 am »

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:47:42 am »
You may need to download the XP driver for when you boot into that partition http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Drivers installed from that page before I posted.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:01:43 am »
Does Wireless work in XP ?

While there are other services to check should you have no Internet in XP, go Start - Run - type services.msc and check that Wired AutoConfig is showing as Manual and Started.

To start it, click on it and you should have a Start button top left.

If it fails to start, right click on it and select Properties - Dependencies and check those are started.

You will find RPC in Services and the NDIS Usermode you will find in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Non-Plug and Play Drivers.

That and other services could have a yellow alert next to them - also check Network adapters to see if you have a yellow alert next to the Ethernet adapter.

Right clicking on that and selecting Properties will show its status under the General tab.

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:07:07 am »
The wireless adapter works fine and is what I'm using.

Wired AutoConfig is set properly.

Looked for the dependencies in Device Manager and they have no yellow marks.  The only one that does under Non-Plug and Play Drivers is the serial port.  Which makes sense as there is no serial port.

No yellow alert next to the ethernet adapter (first thing I sought during troubleshooting).  Under Device Status it shows as This device is working properly.  No it isn't!

I can post links to screenshots if you need them.

The above were good suggestions, by the way, and I appreciate it even if no joy yet.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:18:21 am »
Does it work in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:42:23 am »
I'm going to have to go but if it works in Safe Mode with Networking then perform a clean boot to see if it still works.

If it doesn't, that would point to a 3rd party AV program.

Check to see if it's DHCP enabled.

There are a couple of ways you can do this - one is to open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all - you can copy & paste its output if you want, and the other method is to open Network and Sharing Center - Change adapter settings - right click on the Ethernet and select Properties - (TCP/IPv4) - Properties and that the top radio button is checked for auto IP address and that the bottom one is also set for auto DNS or that the settings are the same for your Wireless adapter.

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 05:56:33 pm »
You're certainly on to something!  Restarted in safe mode with networking.  Wired auto config didn't start.  Got an error 1068 message.   Then I realized that I didn't really give a proper test in regular mode because I forced a start through Anvir taskmanager!  So I restarted Windows normally, making sure that the wireless adapter was turned off and the ethernet cable plugged in.  Wired auto config didn't start!  It also didn't throw an error 1068 error when I forced a start.

I then found this "Answer" with a google search:

http://tinyurl.com/6dk73jt

I edited the registry, after first carefully backing it up with ERUNT, as described in the Answer.  It did nothing.  Rolled the registry back with ERUNT.

So wired auto config won't start with an ethernet cable plugged in and connected to a router.  Not in normal or safe mode with networking.  A forced start causes a 1068 error message in safe mode, but not in normal mode.  And the "Answer" I discovered (admittedly for a later version of Windows) didn't work for XP.

I checked to see if it's DHCP enabled and it is.  The dependencies you mentioned still didn't show up in device manager as a problem.

However, there's no question that you're on the right track and I very much appreciate it!  This may even partially explain another problem with an audio device made by the same manufacturer RealTek.  I keep thinking it's drivers (I used MANY to no avail), but it may be related to this problem in some way.  At least I hope the solution solves both problems.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 01:42:09 am »
Wired AutoConfig may not auto start when the Ethernet cable is use if a certain condition doesn't apply for your machine.

Click on Wired AutoConfig and you will see the condition that would apply.

Those registry tweaks are for Wireless and not wired - WLAN is for your wireless.

Did the error 1068 apply to the wireless or Ethernet ?

Audio isn't loaded in Safe Mode, so that would eliminate that as a conflict - but what is the audio problem you are having - did you download the correct driver for XP ?

Sometimes audio drivers are OEM modified so you will need to see if HP have any XP drivers for your audio chip if you're having problems with that in XP.

I don't think a chkdsk /f would do anything but you could run the command chkdsk without any parameters from the command prompt which is a read-only mode, but will tell you if anything is corrupt and if there are any bad sectors on the HDD.

If you disable the Wireless adapter in Device Manager, reboot with it wired then check Event Viewer, you should have an accurate time stamp if it has recorded an error for the LAN and may give more info.

When you run ipconfig /all in XP with it wired, is it assigned it with a 192.168.8.# IP address ?

While XP is no longer MS supported, can you download Belarc Advisor and that will tell you if you have any Windows Updates missing - it will also check your LAN connection.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 03:40:02 am »
I have ran into this before once or twice, and it was a realtek that was doing it to me lol.

It was a motherboard with the realtek nic on it, installed the drivers and I noticed the connection speed on it was showing only 10 MB instead of the 100 the nic was suppose to handle.

I thought it was a bad network card but it worked find when I installed windows 7, but in xp the network was going crazy. Turns out it was the drivers. I had to use the drivers off the mother board cd (Or from there site) any newer ones and it would break in XP. Not sure if it was a firmware problem with that nic or what because I never had a problem like that with realtek.

I dont see in the first post where you download the xp drivers, did you grab them from the mfg website or did they not have it so you had to go with the direct realtek ones?

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:47 am »
Your post reminded me of something else to try, Shane - Duplex settings.

Right click on the LAN adapter in Device Manager and select Properties.

Under the Advanced tab click on Speed & Duplex and try the 1000Mbps Full and Half Duplex if set to Auto Negotiation.

You could also try the 100Mbps settings even though you have a Gigabit chip fitted and if your router doesn't support Gigabit speeds.

Shane, the 2nd post confirms the XP driver download.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:49:39 am by Boggin »

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 04:49:57 am »
Shane: what you describe is very close to my situation, almost identical.  HP doesn't have drivers for XP on this computer.  I've had to look all over for device drivers.  Some were provided by Microsoft during an update.  I can't even remember now where I got the drivers for the NIC, but I'm fairly certain it was from the link given in Boggin's first post.  As for the audio, I've tried so many drivers I can't count them anymore, including one from Microsoft included in an update.  None have worked.

My next steps will probably be Boggin's.  Or I may just restore the partition to a much earlier (just a few days ago) state and see what happens if I try to install the audio and NIC.  Since I have all the drivers for everything else (even though it was VERY difficult to install some of them), I could restore all the other devices easier than trying to fix these two.

A word of caution: if anyone else wants to do the same for this laptop beware of any site claiming to have a collection of drivers for XP that work for this computer.  They lie.  One or two *may* work.  Most won't.  Worse, most are just trying to get you to download their driver software or install garbage-ware onto your computer during the install process.  I avoided all the attempted garbage-ware installs, but only just.

I'll be back with an update later.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 04:54:14 am »
It is this reason why I made my hardware identify program.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/tweaking_com_hardware_identify.html

I would get windows 8 machines that a customer wants windows 7 put on. I go to get the drivers and of course they dont list ANY windows 7 drivers or older. BUT all the mfg hardware is still the same as the newer models. I just needed a way to find them and match them up. So i made this program.

It can at least show you any other names the network card id shows and that could help you trace some down. If you can get me the laptop make and model and get me the hardware IDs from my program for the nic and sound then I can use those to find a older model HP that had that same hardware and has the proper xp drivers listed :-)

In cases like this the trick is to find a different HP model with the same hardware. :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 05:05:42 am »
That's a handy program Shane, I would normally have to go into the Properties/Details/Hardware Ids or msinfo32 for the VEN & DEV Nos.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 05:07:04 am »
So would I, and I got annoyed with it, so I wrote something lol

And since I made it easy for users to submit their hardware to me the database int he program gets updated every week :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 05:10:53 am »
I hit the Update button and it highlighted an ATA Channel - does that mean that needs updating ?

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 05:19:21 am »
Partial update:

-Changing speeds for NIC: no change

-As you can see by the attached screenshot, error 1068 applied to the wired NIC.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:22:23 am by sfeinbe »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 05:27:04 am »
Check the event viewer and see if it says what other service failed to start.

I hit the Update button and it highlighted an ATA Channel - does that mean that needs updating ?

If you mean in the hardware program, you click update database and a box will open where you can update it. :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:56 am »
No, it was an Update button bottom right - it may just have been where the cursor landed - have used the database update but mine were just for some Toshiba bits & pieces.

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2014, 07:41:39 am »
Check the event viewer and see if it says what other service failed to start.

I checked under "system" in the event viewer and found two errors, both related to this: hpdskflt

I don't think that's causing the issues.  I also rolled back xp to a very early install before most updates and device drives.  I installed ONLY the audio and NIC.  Same problems as I have now with one difference: the volume control speaker appears and all audio functions under control panel appear to be working...except that it isn't and the device has a yellow exclamation mark in device manager.

NIC: wired auto config still doesn't start.

Note that I DID update four things from Microsoft.  One was the NIC and one was the audio device.  There was an HP update as well, which I think is related to hpdskflt.  I can't remember the fourth, but I don't think it was an issue.

Other notes:
-ran chkdsk: all ok
-ipconfig: gave ip address of 192.168.8.103

If you can get me the laptop make and model and get me the hardware IDs from my program for the nic and sound then I can use those to find a older model HP that had that same hardware and has the proper xp drivers listed :-)

In cases like this the trick is to find a different HP model with the same hardware.

Good idea!  It's an HP DM1-4010us Entertainment PC.  The attached is a screenshot from the BIOS setup.

From your program:
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller,Realtek Semiconductor Corp.,(0) OK,Net,5.786.504.2011,PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_3387103C&REV_06|PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_3387103C|PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_020000|PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio,Microsoft,(0) OK,System,5.10.0.5010,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1314&SUBSYS_3387103C&REV_00|PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1314&SUBSYS_3387103C|PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1314&CC_040300|PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_1314&CC_0403

Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio,Microsoft,(0) OK,System,5.10.0.5010,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4383&SUBSYS_3387103C&REV_40|PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4383&SUBSYS_3387103C|PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4383&CC_040300|PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4383&CC_0403
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:23:20 am by sfeinbe »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:31 am »
Ok I did find this, someone with the same model, using XP and there is a known bug in the bios with the xp drivers that is causing the problem

I also have this issue with a Realtek network adapter on a laptop which has a fresh copy of "Windows XP Professional SP3" installed, the network adapter is "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Onboard)" with the following technical details "PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_3387103C&REV_06\4&319 7A3B3&0&00A9", I have successfully installed and tested both Realtek driver versions 5.810.1218.2012 and 5.806.1026.2012.

The problem is that when a network cable is plugged into the laptop the "Hardware Interrupts and DPCs" CPU usage goes very high and the network is not accessible.

What version driver do you have installed right now?

Shane

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 11:12:23 am »
Tried both minutes ago.  Neither worked even though they were later driver versions than the one I had installed.  Wired auto config never started.

Slight update: I unplugged then plugged in the ethernet cable.  CPU usage didn't spike significantly at all.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:15:49 am by sfeinbe »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 12:16:46 pm »
Just to cover all bases, did you check to see if there was a bios update for the system yet?

The driver version for it here
http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
is 5.826

But I wonder if you need a older driver to do the trick. I have a folder full of the older drivers that I use in my automated installs of XP, it has the older realtek drivers, I could yank them out and post them for you, then you can try to manually add each driver and have the network card use it and see how it does.

Oh one more thing, go to the service that keeps failing, go to the properties of it and go to the tab that shows what it depends on and let me know what they are.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »
He's already done that for the Wired AutoConfig in Posts 3 & 4.

While it is default set to Manual it doesn't auto start when the wire is plugged which I think is when a condition isn't met.

I don't know how to attach a snip in this forum, but if you click on the Wired AutoConfig service, it's function is described in the top left pane.

Offline sfeinbe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »
Shane, I originally used the 5.826 drivers from the latest link you gave me.  Which means I was wrong, I wasn't originally using older drivers than the two mentioned in that guy's post you quoted.  I was using NEWER drivers.  His, however, even though older, didn't work.

I tried several drivers, but maybe an older set, older even than Realtek driver versions 5.810.1218.2012 and 5.806.1026.2012 might work.  I don't know, but I'm willing to try it.  Still haven't succeeded on the sound drivers at all yet.

The attached is what I get about the wired auto config and the dependencies.