Author Topic: KB2884256 update fails, Dexcom driver install fails  (Read 46783 times)

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
Re: KB2884256 update fails, Dexcom driver install fails
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 10:23:00 am »
I found my computer has unused keyboard and mouse PS2 ports on back. I do not see these listed in the device manager,  but would guess they are the "HID-compliant consumer control device" and "HID-compliant device" under "Human Interface Devices" (see attachment). I will test to see if I can use a PS2  keyboard and mouse on these ports.   Let me know which devices in the previous post I should remove.

Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
If you can use a ps2 mouse then remove them all, do all the usb ones first.

Shane

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 08:34:20 pm »
I tried your suggestion of uninstalling all the USB devices in the "Universal serial bus controllers".  This did not work. All failures still occur.

I am not sure I got all USB's,  but those were the only ones listed after changing mouse and keyboard to PS2.

I had shut down the computer and replaced the USB keyboard and mouse with PS2 types. When I turned it back on and locked in the Device Manager the only USB devices listed were under "Universal serial bus controllers". The one labeled "USB composite device" under this heading had disappeared. I think that might have something to do with the keyboard. Now there were eleven instead of twelve under this heading.

The "Human interface devices" and all devices under that headings disappeared.

The mouse and keyboard were now listed as PS2 and worked properly.

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 11:48:34 am »
RE: USB keyboard and mouse drivers fail.

I shut down the computer to remove the PS2 devices and put back the USB keyboard and mouse. When I restarted, the drivers started to install, but the USB keyboard and mouse drivers failed. The keyboard and mouse  did not function. I rebooted and did a "restore point" using the Windows installation disc . This made the USB keyboard and mouse functional again.

Attached are some "Event Viewer" and "Problem Reports and Solution"  logs that may be relevant.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 02:03:26 pm »
When I restarted, the drivers started to install, but the USB keyboard and mouse drivers failed.

Then that confirms it, the program is the USB and possibly its drivers. The USB itself is fine, it is the registry settings, keys and such in Windows that is messed up for it, and pretty much anything you try to have install over the usb simply fails.

So it is dexcon or Windows updates, but instead Windows itself. Problem is I dont have a clue what registry keys to look for because I dont know what Windows is looking at when it is installing drivers for a USB device.

So the fastest way is to do a repair install, not a fresh install. With a repair install you keep all your programs and settings. It does carry over drivers through, so curious if the problem will follow or get corrected.

But to do a repair install you need a vista cd with sp2 already on it. And then follow this :wink:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
I wonder if going to the computer support site if OEM build or the motherboard support site if custom build and downloading the Intel Chipset drivers before the repair install would help ?

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 04:36:48 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I have previously tried a repair from the installation CD with no effect. But the CD is pre SP2.  If I understand the info in the link it seems this will not work. The link says:

"If you have an Anytime Upgrade Vista installation DVD, then you will not be able to do this."

"IF YOU HAVE THE VISTA SP2 INSTALLED:
This will not work if you have SP1 and SP2 installed unless your
Vista installation DVD includes SP2."

Unfortunately my disc is an "Anytime Upgrade" and does not include SP2. 

I tried doing repairs to SP2 but the computer can not find the files (see attachment).

I found this link on "How to Create Free Windows Vista SP2 Recovery Disk"
( http://www.ehow.com/how_8645148_create-vista-sp2-recovery-disk.html )
Does this seem feasible?

Thanks

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 04:43:54 pm »
I updated the Intel DG31PR chipset driver from version 8.4.0.1016 to the latest version 9.1.2.1008 on 10/12/14 to try to fix this problem. It did not help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 04:15:53 am »
I updated the Intel DG31PR chipset driver from version 8.4.0.1016 to the latest version 9.1.2.1008 on 10/12/14 to try to fix this problem. It did not help.

It was just a thought that may have saved you from the repair install.

That link for the Recovery disk would only get you a disk that would boot you into the F8 options.

From a Google you would need to create a Vista ISO boot disk and then Slipstream SP2 into it and this is what I've found for those -

http://www.mydigitallife.info/64-bit-x64-windows-vista-official-direct-download-links/

This is one from clicking on a sub link in that article which includes how to make a bootable disk from those files. http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-vista-free-direct-download-link/

This article may also help if you want to go for the Vista SP1 ISO http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

http://www.ehow.com/how_6100639_slipstream-vista-sp2.html

Hope these help but if you have any problems I'm sure Shane will be able to guide you.

Don't forget that you will need your generic product key as the sticker key doesn't always work and which Belarc Advisor will display for you. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:50:41 am by Boggin »

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »
Before trying to create the ISO boot disk, is replacing the INFCACHE.1 file as described at http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/resolve-windows-vista-usb-detection-issues/  worth a try.
Is this fix relevant?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 06:41:44 am »
Before trying to create the ISO boot disk, is replacing the INFCACHE.1 file as described at http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/resolve-windows-vista-usb-detection-issues/  worth a try.
Is this fix relevant?

I don't know if it's relevant to Virtual USBs but you could always give it a try - but create a restore point first before making any changes.

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:25 pm »
RE: Installing Windows Automated Installation Kit – WAIK?

According to Brightbulb (http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/articles/53735.aspx) I need to "start off by installing the .NET Framework and WAIK."  I need to know how to install  the WAIK program from the image file (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10333). Even if I extract the files and folders (see attachment), how would the program be installed and run? 

Offline easeware

• View Profile
    • download lenovo drivers
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 06:36:14 pm »
All right, do not waste you a lot of time, download the software on dell-drivers-download.com, and it can help you automatically  find the drivers you need, and get them downloaded for you only with a few clicks. do not hesitate, just have a try, please!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2014, 01:11:48 am »
If you have created the Vista SP1 ISO version boot disk then read through the following article for how to uninstall SP2 so that you will be able to use the SP1 disk to repair your system, but create an external system image first - either to DVDs or an external HDD before uninstalling SP2.

If you haven't created the disk which includes SP1 then go back to my reply #33 for that link and the relevant SP1 ISOs are lower down the page and this should avoid the problems in streaming SP2..

You can reinstall SP2 after the repair is complete.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/learn-how-to-install-windows-vista-service-pack-2-sp2

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
For some reason there was never a iso of vista with sp2 put online, where as with Windows 7 MS has the ISOs available for download.

So you have to grab the 3 vista files
http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

Then make an isp with it, THEN slipstream SP2 into it. Pain in the butt that is for sure lol

Shane

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 05:17:46 pm »
I uninstalled SP2, the KB2884256 update and the Dexcom driver failures still occurred. I got vlite (the program to create an updated installation disc)  to run,  but when trying to slipstream SP2 it stops working. Since removing SP2 did not help, I am not sure using an updated installation disc for repairs would help.  I received a number of new updates. They all installed except for the problematic KB2884256.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:48 am »
I uninstalled SP2, the KB2884256 update and the Dexcom driver failures still occurred. I got vlite (the program to create an updated installation disc)  to run,  but when trying to slipstream SP2 it stops working. Since removing SP2 did not help, I am not sure using an updated installation disc for repairs would help.  I received a number of new updates. They all installed except for the problematic KB2884256.

The idea was to avoid the problems with slipstreaming SP2 by creating a bootable SP1 disk from the previously linked article.

Create an external system image - uninstall SP2 then do the repair install using the Sp1 ISO and then reinstall SP2.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:44 pm »
You want the disk to have SP2 no matter what. A repair install is basically doing an upgrade to the same version of Windows. Thats why you would normally need SP2 on the disk since you already have SP2 on the system and you cant upgrade backwards.

Not to mention the huge amount of bug fixes in SP2 is always good to have.

Shane

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 11:45:15 am »
RE: Where is SP1?

SP1 (KB936330) came out  Feb 4, 2008. My machine was built in August 2008. As best I can tell, all the dates on the files and folders on the Vista installation disc are November 2, 2006.

Except for the problematic  USB security update, KB2884256, all other critical updates have properly installed.

The list of installed updates shows SP2 (KB948465), but not SP1. So what happened to SP1? If it is on the install disc, how can I verify it? If it is not there, what happened to it?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2014, 02:46:24 pm »
Tell you what, shoot me an email and I will see if there is a way for me to upload a vista sp2 iso to you. I dont mind doing it because its not a hacked version or anything, just a normal vista sp2 disk which I use when reinstalling vista, which I havent had to do in a long time lol

Its over 3 GB in size, so let me know :wink:

Shane

Offline sptilton

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2015, 05:12:14 pm »
SOLVED

The Repair Install (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html) fixed things. It took over twelve hours to get everything working and up to date.

A problem occurred after the install, during Windows Setup, that that may have indicated a simple few minute fix for the orginal problems.

During Setup a box appeared on the screen saying "Setup has detected that Net Framework Version 4 needs to be repaired". The repair took a few minutes.

The Dexcom program uses Net Framework 4. I do not know if KB2884256 (security update for USB drivers) uses it. Is it possible a simple few minute repair could have fixed this, or was that a side issue?

I consider this problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 06:07:26 pm »
Very possible. But nothing told us that it was having trouble with .net at all. Any time there is a problem with .net I use a .net removal tool that gets rid of it completely and then I install .net fresh. Fixes it every time.

It is possible it was just another thing that was broken and you simply didnt know about it as well, hard to tell if they where tied together. :wink:

Shane