Author Topic: propsys.dll error ... Solved !!  (Read 30446 times)

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
propsys.dll error ... Solved !!
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:52:18 pm »
Hi Guys i'm in need of some help and  advice if possible. Ive been checking out my mates computer (windows 7 64bit, 1 Tb HD, 4 Gb ram - more details in your repair error log) because recently everything (or most) they run gives the error 'c:windows\system32\propsys.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again or contacting your adinistrator etc'
The programs it affects are varied ( but from what Ive learnt it is a multi fuction dll) from not opening attachments (.doc, pdf files) in outlook, url's on the favourites, weblinks embedded in programs (such as your windows repair) plus others, e.g. sub menus such as save as dont work ..
     So far I've tried multiple virus scans (Ive found that one isnt enough to provide a clean environment anyways) using a variety of tools from online scanners to offline disk based ones and found nothing.
I've replaced the dll and re registered it, again no difference.
Run chkdsk just to cover all the bases.
Run sfc and the only file it has problems with is propsysy.dll
Ive tried running your windows repair tool (which has been a great asset to me in the past) in both windows and safe mode, and that fails (log attached)
Ive tried a clean boot to see if that alters anything, again no difference.
Seems a lot of people have problems with this but no one has a solution to cure it, (well i havent found it yet if they have) and if possible I'm trying to avoid a reinstall.
Any idea's please?
thanks in advance
glenn
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 01:32:02 pm by shawie60 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: propsys.dll error ...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 02:52:09 pm »
Have you asked your friend if he'd downloaded anything immediately to this error - in which case the restore points could come to the rescue.

As you have replaced the .dll file from source, I assume you have a Win 7 SP1 install disk ?

See if an offboot sfc /scannow can do anything with it if the restore points aren't an option.

Boot up with the install disk and navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"  and using whichever partition letter it gives, enter (assuming C: and that's a Pipe symbol before find) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

You could also check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors related to the files in this article as either of those could have a knock on effect.

http://www.win7dll.info/propsys_dll.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:17:31 pm by Boggin »

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »
Have you asked your friend if he'd downloaded anything immediately to this error - in which case the restore points could come to the rescue. --->  yeah one of the first things I checked. Evidently nothing was installed.

As you have replaced the .dll file from source, I assume you have a Win 7 SP1 install disk ?   ---->    I have but tbh I was a little lazy and used the file from my system. ( I assumed as mine didnt have any errors it would be ok ! ) Will the dll be available from the disk or do i need to extract it from a cab file and if so which one please?

See if an offboot sfc /scannow can do anything with it if the restore points aren't an option.   ---->    Only recent restore points are what I've made I'm afraid. so that isnt an option, but i will try the offboot sfc.

Boot up with the install disk and navigate to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"  and using whichever partition letter it gives, enter (assuming C: and that's a Pipe symbol before find) -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

You could also check Event Viewer to see if there are any errors related to the files in this article as either of those could have a knock on effect.     ----->    I checked event viewer but not against the article, I'll give that a go later. many thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted. many thanks for your time.

http://www.win7dll.info/propsys_dll.html

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 03:57:23 pm »
Did you have a response ?

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:51 am »
Did you have a response ?
sorry for the delay, time difference here and I've been working. tried the offboot scf but it made no difference. I've attached the log because if I'm completely honest it doesnt make a great deal of sense mainly because I dont know what i'm looking for. Cant see anything in the event viewer that would tie in either, but then im no expert.
Once again many thanks for your time though.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 02:41:38 pm »
That doesn't bode well that an offboot sfc is unable to repair all files.

As the CBS.log is quite large and takes some trawling through, Windows has kindly provided a command whereby only the files it is unable to fix can be displayed.

Open a command prompt as an admin then copy & paste the following command -

findstr /c: "[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS,log >"userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

exit (to close the command window)

That command will put a file named sfcdetails.txt onto the desktop which you can attach and Shane will be able to advise on it.

If the system is irreparable then you're probably looking at a Repair or Clean install unless you can copy any corrupt files from the install disk.

A tutorial for that if you need it is at the end of OPTION THREE in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Repair Install tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

With either of the installs you will need to back up your drivers folders from C:\Windows\System32 and have the product key at hand.

Belarc Advisor is a program which will list all product keys. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Being in the UK, I'm 8hrs ahead of the Post time stamp.

Did you try the restore points ?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:47:58 pm by Boggin »

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:54 pm »
That doesn't bode well that an offboot sfc is unable to repair all files.

As the CBS.log is quite large and takes some trawling through, Windows has kindly provided a command whereby only the files it is unable to fix can be displayed.

Open a command prompt as an admin then copy & paste the following command -

findstr /c: "[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS,log >"userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

exit (to close the command window)

That command will put a file named sfcdetails.txt onto the desktop which you can attach and Shane will be able to advise on it.

----> actually tried this earlier using findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt" (you'd missed the % out before userprofile but np) the thing is i've done it a number of times and the text file is always empty. That's why I finished up posting the original. So I'm open to suggestions as to why etc or how to cure it ...

If the system is irreparable then you're probably looking at a Repair or Clean install unless you can copy any corrupt files from the install disk.  --- >  considered these earlier but i was covering my bases to try and avoid that if possible.

A tutorial for that if you need it is at the end of OPTION THREE in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Repair Install tutorial http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

With either of the installs you will need to back up your drivers folders from C:\Windows\System32 and have the product key at hand.

Belarc Advisor is a program which will list all product keys. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Being in the UK, I'm 8hrs ahead of the Post time stamp.

Did you try the restore points ?  ---> as I mentioned before for some reason the only restore points available are the ones I've made prior to trying anything. Not sure why there arnt earlier ones. Another point is I installed Aomei backup when i installed the system originally to make a scheduled backup periodically. That together with the scheduled virus scans had stopped. (one of the reasons I ran a full virus scan over the system initially) Anyways i really appreciate your advice and time. if anything else comes to mind please let me know. Obviously if i find out how to rectify this (or what caused it) I'll post and let you know.
many thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 05:21:06 pm »
The reason I missed your earlier replies is because I'm not used to seeing them in the Quote and apologies for missing the % out.

I'm not sure why that desktop file isn't being created from the command.

Going back to your Post #3 regarding replacing the file, I've covered that in my last post which you could try - but I had problems with Permissions when following the sevenforums tutorial to replace a file I once had problems with.

Shane who has a greater understanding of system files, will be back sometime today and will advise you of the best course of action after going through the CBS.log - probably.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 11:45:20 pm »
shawie60, you are not doing the forum quotes properly, so your answer is in with the quote and I cant tell which is yours lol

But have you ran a chkdsk on the drive yet to see if it finds and corrects any files system problems? I know you said you did but did you run it and have it check for bad sectors?

chkdsk c: /r

Shane

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 01:26:50 am »
shawie60, you are not doing the forum quotes properly, so your answer is in with the quote and I cant tell which is yours lol

But have you ran a chkdsk on the drive yet to see if it finds and corrects any files system problems? I know you said you did but did you run it and have it check for bad sectors?

chkdsk c: /r

Shane

apologies guys I thought it would make it easier addressing each reply in turn, obviously not, and yeah Shane scanned for both (usually do just to be thorough) even though the system is just over a year old .. I usually use chkdsk c: /f /r
glenn

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 02:53:24 am »
Does chkdsk /f report the same file as corrupt in the chkdsk/Wininit log in Event Viewer ?

Those reports tend to make for easier reading.

Just wondering if leaving %userprofile%\Desktop out and just using findstr /c: "[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >sfcdetails.txt would produce the edited file straight to Notepad.

The CBS.log was reporting a number of errors regarding the Windows Update Agent, so running the applicable System Update Readiness Tool may help with that. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

Not sure if updating the AMD drivers would help, but the latest Win 7 AMD graphics drivers installed from the auto detect was giving me a red hue for my HD6310 and I had to roll those back - although as your friend's is probably a newer build, you may not have that problem.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:10:28 am by Boggin »

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 04:52:20 am »
Does chkdsk /f report the same file as corrupt in the chkdsk/Wininit log in Event Viewer ?

Those reports tend to make for easier reading.

Just wondering if leaving %userprofile%\Desktop out and just using findstr /c: "[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >sfcdetails.txt would produce the edited file straight to Notepad.

The CBS.log was reporting a number of errors regarding the Windows Update Agent, so running the applicable System Update Readiness Tool may help with that. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

Not sure if updating the AMD drivers would help, but the latest Win 7 AMD graphics drivers installed from the auto detect was giving me a red hue for my HD6310 and I had to roll those back - although as your friend's is probably a newer build, you may not have that problem.

left out the %userprofile% and it made no difference I'm afraid. tried removing the original CBS.log from the logs folder and created a new one but still no joy, the txt file is empty. On a plus note there isnt as much info (basically 1 day) to wade through so I've included it here. Where exactly would I find the Wininit log in Event Viewer?
thanks glenn

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:32:42 am »
Well looking at the log shows that the backup oif the file is also corrupt.

2014-11-21 11:24:40, Info                  CSI    00000328 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\propsys.dll do not match actual file [l:22{11}]"propsys.dll" :
  Found: {l:32 b:g+OtbrV42A81wuBA60VuAa1TgpnRTXJqy6dD69WFWns=} Expected: {l:32 b:nf2cWLkCV8NNUrcVbB0lZr4y7nvUaZ3eFkpfGQ7E1Eo=}
2014-11-21 11:24:40, Info                  CSI    00000329 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-propsys_31bf3856ad364e35_7.0.7601.17514_none_2da67fa978cc211f\propsys.dll do not match actual file [l:22{11}]"propsys.dll" :
  Found: {l:32 b:g+OtbrV42A81wuBA60VuAa1TgpnRTXJqy6dD69WFWns=} Expected: {l:32 b:nf2cWLkCV8NNUrcVbB0lZr4y7nvUaZ3eFkpfGQ7E1Eo=}
2014-11-21 11:24:40, Info                  CSI    0000032a [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:48{24},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64"\[l:22{11}]"propsys.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

So lets find out if it is actually corrupt by comparing the hash from yours from one of my installs in vmware. What is the file version and size for the file on your system? I will then compare it to one of mine. I can also post a good file and have you manually replace it and we can see. :wink:

Shane

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 07:50:38 am »
OK I checked and these files off my windows 7 64 bit system match the hash that your sfc is looking for.

So you will want to replace each x86 one with the one from here and any x64 one with the other one I included as well. Right now the log only shows that the x86 version in the syswow64 folder is the one that is messed up. You can also use these files to compare to the ones you have :-)

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 09:32:46 am »
And this is how to view the chkdsk/wininit report in Event Viewer http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

Offline shawie60

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »
OK I checked and these files off my windows 7 64 bit system match the hash that your sfc is looking for.

So you will want to replace each x86 one with the one from here and any x64 one with the other one I included as well. Right now the log only shows that the x86 version in the syswow64 folder is the one that is messed up. You can also use these files to compare to the ones you have :-)

Shane

Shane your a star mate! (you'll have to do a tutorial sometime about the hash ) that worked like a dream. it looks like the one in system32 was the culprit. Obviously my version of the dll was different from my mates system. I want to thank both you and Boggin for all the time you've spent helping me with the problem. Its much appreciated. have a great weekend guys and once again thanks.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 01:30:45 pm »
Glad I could help and get your fixed :-)

Do me a fav and go back to the first post, edit it and in the subject add (Solved) for me :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: propsys.dll error ... Solved !!
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 02:06:08 pm »
Another good result Shane  :cheesy: