Author Topic: Ennvelope Printer  (Read 5723 times)

Offline pmh

• View Profile
Ennvelope Printer
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:13:00 am »
Very impressed - easy to use and importing data straightforward.

Can i make a suggestion that would make it even more versatile.  Support of label sheets so that you  can print all the  different addresses onto sheets of labels.  My personal choice would be for Avery 3 x7 . but I guess that support of the standard range of labels would not be a big issue.

The reason is that my xmas card collection for sending (in the UK) all have different sized envelopes! Historically I have always printed the labels directly from Access, but like to maintain my lists in a simpler application so my wife can use it.

If you can achieve this I will put you on my Xmas card list and make a small donation :smiley:

peter

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Ennvelope Printer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:33:56 pm »
Then that would make it a label printer :-)

It is just an envelope printer, which is easier as all I need to know is the hight and width of an envelope and then the program can do the match from there automatically.

With labels they can all be different. So simply knowing the hight and width of the paper isn't good enough, the program also has to know the space between each label, how many labels per row and then how many rows. Then it will have all the math needed to do the print. So since I didn't have a way to get the huge list of label sheets out there and what all their specs are for each one I didn't add support for it, thus why it is only called a envelope printer :wink:

The reason is that my xmas card collection for sending (in the UK) all have different sized envelopes!

In that case it might be better to do all the envelopes that are the same size and then the next batch of envelopes that are a different size. That way all you have to do is simply change the envelope size in the program once instead of for each envelope :-)

Shane

Offline pmh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 02:44:04 pm »
Ok -  thanks for the trouble of thinking about  the issues involved and replying  to my suggestion.

If you have a change of heart and other people feel the samw way, a goodstarting point for info would be at

http://www.red-bean.com/labelnation/

for preferred subset of label types, with no. per sheet

and at  http://www.red-bean.com/labelnation/label-dimensions.html

for dimension info.

thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:42:27 pm »
Thanks for the info :-)

Just looked at
http://www.red-bean.com/labelnation/label-dimensions.html

And holy crap that is a big list LOL

Looks like 1,509 label sheet options are there, with the numbers for the math that is needed.

If I ever decide to add label support then that page will come in handy :-)

Shane

Offline pmh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 02:03:27 am »
On that (long) list  I can not see where the number of labels per sheet is shown, although it may be computable from some of the other dimensions?  It is useful to have  labels per page info against the label type reference as it stops  one from making silly (and expensive)_ mistakes when selecting the target medium.

The second site has a useful  much smaller subset of labels.  With labels per page info.

Thanks for looking.

p