Author Topic: (Solved) Problem with Word after Windows Repair (All In One)  (Read 19933 times)

Offline Lady

• View Profile
(Solved) Problem with Word after Windows Repair (All In One)
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:15:11 am »
Hi Shane, first of all: a BIG THANK YOU for making the repair program! I'm trying SO hard to avoid a re-installation. Getting all the programs and settings right again is a nightmare. I used to read books in my free time..... But it's so good to see that there are people who are willing to HELP others. Wonderful!

Windows 7 Home Premium, Microsoft Office 2007

I did the repair program because all sorts of things had been going wrong since I bought this new pc a year ago, the worst being Blue Screens and freezing and often hanging on closing down. I'm not an IT person (although I know a lot by now, esp. for a girl, haha), but my feeling was that an old external harddisk was not in its right mind anymore (it was often running and doing something for hours without any order on my part) and that this corrupted HD had damaged software in the pc. So I threw that one away and bought a new one. On a computer forum they helped me tremendously but to no avail and then they gave me this suggestion. I did the repair a few days ago and so far so good, but I have a new problem. When I open Word I get error messages regarding templates. I have no idea what these templates are about and whether I need them or not. I tried to get them back into the game by checking them again, but nothing happens. I'll send screenshots along. I get the same two error messages (screenshot 1 and 2) for the first 10 templates in screenshot 3 that are unchecked.

Hope you can help me out with this.

Kind regards,
Lady
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:28:41 am by Lady »
To Fear no guarantees are ever strong enough.
To Love none are necessary.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with Word after Windows Repair (All In One)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:41:24 pm »
I can only read English, so I will try my best on what the screens show :-)

So from the looks of it your old drive had bad sectors, and you had data on those bad sectors that got corrupt. When you moved all the files to the new drive those corrupt files also where copied over. I think some of those templates are the ones that got corrupted.

Anytime Word shows messages like that, it is saying it doesnt know how to read the file, which means the file is in a format it wasnt expecting, which means the file is most likely corrupt.

So those files simply need to be replaced. I use Office 2007 myself as well, but only the english version, so I am not sure if the files are the same, but if you like I can zip up the template files for you and you can give it a try. :wink:

But if you happen to have the office install cd then you could just try a repair install of it first, and if that doesnt work then just uninstall office, reboot and then reinstall it. Then all the files will be replaced and fixed. But if you dont have the office install cd then we will do it the manual way.

Shane

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:18:35 pm »
Thanks so much, Shane, for your quick response!

Excuse me for not translating the error messages. I presumed you to be savvy enough to know what they meant.  :cheesy: The good news is that I got a light bulb moment just now.  I think I know what these templates are about. Actually these are not about templates rather than plug-ins, if that is the right word in English. [In Word > Options for Word > in the left pane it's the third word from below :S.] Plug-ins for my digital dictionary programs that I linked to Word. In the start folder of Word [C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\Start] the top 10 files were shown in the error messages. I hope you're still with me, haha. My educated guess is that these files were corrupted and that I can fix this by just re-installing my dictionaries instead of the whole Word program. What do you think? That would save me a LOT of time and effort! But check out my screenshot of this startup folder. It could just as well be that these files were duplicated and corrupted. The top half of them are all listed on October 17. That's odd. I had a crash on the 17th according to the log files (bug control), but I see no report of it in the Minidump file. But maybe I can just delete those top 10 from the Start folder to solve this? What do you think?

Two more questions, if you please, Shane. One: the way you describe the corrupted sectors of my drive makes me feel like my pc is, or was, in a very bad state. Do you think that's true and would your Windows Repair really have fixed all of that? In other words, a total re-installation of Windows is not necessary anymore?

Secondly, can you confirm my theory about the external harddisk that went cuckoo being a possible cause for so much software damage? I'd like to know why this brand-new pc gave me sooooo much trouble. :S

Have to tell you some good news I JUST found out!! In the Windows system log files I used to find Errors every time I had closed down the pc in the normal way, saying that the system had closed down unexpectedly. I knew this was bad. I did the Windows Repair on the 17th and from the 20th onward there have been no such Errors anymore!! Is this cause for celebration or what?!  :cheesy:

A possibly very happy Lady

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 04:32:06 am »
Oh dear, I spoke too soon. Saw an Error about unexpectedly closing down again, about last night....   :sad:
The odd thing is, there was such an Error eventlog every time I closed the pc down and there wasn't any on the 20th. I don't understand why it returned. Do you have any idea what's going on there?

Sorry, Shane, lots of questions. :S

I enclose a screenshot of the Eventlog. It's in Dutch. Ask me what it means in case you wanna know more. That's why I also enclose the XML details. Maybe that gives you some info.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:40:15 pm »
You might have your system set to auto reboot when a blue screen happens, and so when your shutting down something is crashing, causing the blue screen and the system auto reboots and you see the error.

Grabbed the WhoCrashed program here
http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

And when you open it click the analyze button and see if it shows anything :wink:

Shane

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:00:40 am »
I think you misunderstood. I used to get these closing down Errors in the Windows System Logfiles every time I had closed down the pc and nothing out of the ordinary happened, so even when no Blue Screen happened. I thought the messages were now gone, and they were, but only for one day, and now I get them again for every time I closed down the pc in a normal way. The pc is running pretty good now (hurray for your Windows Repair!), no more crashes or freezing or hanging on closing down. The problems remaining are these strange Error messages and the Word plug-in error messages and another thing: my keyboard sometimes gives different symbols than the key displays after typing a while, e.g. I want to type a question mark and I get =. This is gone after a reboot. This happened twice in the last few days.

I tried to uninstall the plug-in dictionaries but I cannot. It said there was no Uninstall file and that was correct, it was missing from the files. So I copied the Uninst.isu file from my backup on one of my external HDs, but it still doesn't work. It says that there's still an application running in Office, but I have closed down Word and it keeps giving this message. And I have great trouble ending this task via the Task Manager. And then this Uninstall file that I copied back in is gone again. ?? Did this three times. I guess this means these dictionary files are really corrupted. I have a full backup on my external HDs. How do I go about deleting and re-installing them? The weird thing is that the dictionaries themselves DO work perfectly, in Word and in general when I'm writing something. You can see examples of them in the PNG file that I attached earlier, on the taskbar, the blue squares N-E and E-N.

A small thing: I ticked off the notification of replies here, but didn't get any so far. :S

Lady

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:02:56 am »
After many hours I managed to get a whole lot fixed about the dictionaries. Aren't I the greatest?! :-D  What finally did the trick was to remove those seemingly copied top 10 templates from the Word Startup folder and re-install the dictionaries. The dictionaries all function and the error messages in Word are gone (I'm soooo proud!) but I end up with 2 problems I can't solve. One is that the dictionary French-Dutch (F-N) doesn't open in Word, see attachment. I will translate the message: "The DDE link of the Van Dale Dictionary French-Dutch cannot be accomplished. In the dictionary the function Replace will not work. Original error: faulty procedure call or faulty argument." I'm sorry, this is jargon, so my translation might be wrong but hopefully you get the gist of it.

The second problem is more difficult. I had a lot of trouble removing the dictionaries German-Dutch and vice versa. I managed to do so but the macros in Word remained. I re-installed them anyway and they open in Start but they don't open in Word. Something goes wrong with their macros. The error message (2nd attachment) reads: "the macro cannot be found or is switched off because of macro security settings". How do I get rid of these macros when I delete them so re-installation can be fresh, so to speak. Do you know this, Shane?

Also, what is different with the German-Dutch and the French-Dutch dictionaries is that upon opening Windows ask for my permission for the program to make changes to my pc as the publisher is unknown. All the other dictionaries function normally in this respect.

The 3rd attachment shows the plug-ins in Word. Top left-hand corner. Nine images of all the dictionaries: Spanish, English, Dutch, German and French.

Phewww. Spent many hours on this now today. My eyes are SQUARED!  :( Hopefully you know about these things too, Shane.

Lady

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »
Did you ever run the repair option in the office setup? You can go to add/remove programs and click change, then it will give you a repair option.

Shane

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 03:06:08 pm »
No, I didn't (yet) because IMHO this is not part of the setup of Word. I added the dictionaries myself. I have one more ace up my sleeve, going to remove the files that aren't working fully yet with Revo Uninstaller, so every bit is removed and then try re-installing them. But I have no time for it whatsoever right now. Will be back. :-D

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »
Oh, I forget, the pc is running really smoothly!!! I'm soooo thrilled. THANK YOU, Shane! You're a blessing!

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:53 am »
Hi,
                  Please edit the first post and add solved before the title to close this thread as solved.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 07:41:31 am »
It's not solved yet! This problem I'm still working on happened after I did the Windows Repair. I might still need your help if I don't get it fixed. And I didn't get an answer to my question about the Error I'm still getting every day in the System Logs about the unexpected closing down of the pc. And what do you mean "edit the first post"?

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »
Hi, Since the thread owner informed that the system run smoothly, i presumed that your problem is solved. The edit first post means that the problem is solved. Now it is known that your problem still persists ok

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 01:24:33 pm »
It's not solved yet! This problem I'm still working on happened after I did the Windows Repair. I might still need your help if I don't get it fixed. And I didn't get an answer to my question about the Error I'm still getting every day in the System Logs about the unexpected closing down of the pc. And what do you mean "edit the first post"?

Never had those problems after running the windows repair because it doesnt touch any of those files. I just got done answering about 40 posts from both my sites lol so refresh my memory, what problems are you still having after running my windows repair?

Shane

Offline JohnVanDaal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 06:24:38 pm »
OK, I am able to get back on.

Thanks guys for all the ffeback, I want to go over everything and make sure I've followed all the steps/advice and then I will post, but for now I have internet access   :cheesy:

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 03:59:26 am »
Hi Shane, since the Repair there were some distortions in the templates for my dictionaries in Word. So it affected the files of the dictionaries, not Word itself. I managed to get it like 90% straightened out and I can live with that. It's too complicated to try and go fix it here. I mean, that will take up TOO much time!

The pc is still doing pretty well, almost perfect I'd say. I kept on getting Eventlogs almost every time I had shut down the pc saying there had been an unexpected closing down of the system (again, I didn't experience any problems shutting it down). See a previous screenshot I posted earlier. But from Dec. 4 they stopped. Might return again, we'll see.

Since I solved a lot of the issues already myself I asked the head of the tech. dept. of my pc shop to take a thorough look at the pc and he agreed! I'm happy! He's a nice guy too. I hope to be able to do this next week and I'll let you know what his findings are, okay?

Thanks again, Shane, for your time and effort. And for being NICE! The World is in NEED of nice people. :-D

Take care,

Lady

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 04:00:54 am »
Oh I forgot, the last post before my last by JohnVanDaal belongs somewhere else.

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 04:02:57 am »
Oh yeah, I should say the problem is solved. Am not sure how to do that. :S

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 04:09:06 am »
Oh, and one last thing: I said before that I didn't get notifications of replies but that was because they got into the spam folder and Outlook webmail doesn't forward the spam messages to my e-mail program, so that's why.... :S

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 04:24:15 am »
Hi,
              Normally everyone search googles with solved add in to the problems so that the viewer knows that the problem in question has the definite solution. So, Please go to the First Post of your thread and there click the modify button and then edit the title with adding Solved before the topic in your first thread. You or Shane only could edit the first thread. I hope that this helps

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 01:55:35 pm »
Thanks again, Shane, for your time and effort. And for being NICE! The World is in NEED of nice people. :-D

I am that way because I have believe in karma, that and it makes me feel good to treat people with respect, besides they normally give respect in return :wink:

Shane

Offline Lady

• View Profile
Re: (Solved) Problem with Word after Windows Repair (All In One)
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:00 am »
So I put Solved in my first post. Although it's not solved 100% and I did it myself, hahaha. But for those VERY few people out there who have digital dictionary programs linked to Word and encounter problems after doing Windows Repair, I hope my info helps. Oh, and Shane, I thought it would be interesting for you to know about this issue since Windows Repair did something to these dictionary files, since I had no issues with them before the Repair.

I thought of this: is it an idea to do the Windows Repair once every so often as a kind of overhaul or is it only to be done with serious issues?

/quote]I am that way because I have believe in karma, that and it makes me feel good to treat people with respect, besides they normally give respect in return :wink:

Shane
[/quote]

Well, then we are like minds, Shane! I sensed that. Did you see my signature?  :-D

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »
Hi,
                       You could run repair if you have any problem. Shane has developed this tool for self repairing of problems that normally occurs in a system by unwanted third party programs. You could also tick the specific items to repair. It is all in one tool. If you have problem in Ms office, i would better advice you to restore the defaults. Sometimes macro virus did create problems in word programs like changing the paragraph settings and other settings, which could not be restored that easily. You have to resort to repairs in the resources tab in the word options, and then select repair. It will repair your not only word but the office with the installation of Msofiice files in your system. Diagnostic tool is yet another tool by which you could fix those problem.
                               Shane tools does not modify or act on Ms office programs , as for as i know. The best solution link to all word problems is here. I only follow this link, which is excellent. There is also exceltips.net if you have issues with excel
word link
http://word.tips.net/
for menu and for ribbon, this site
http://wordribbon.tips.net/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:44:03 pm by jraju »

Offline Lady

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2014, 03:28:55 am »
Thanks Jraju, that's very helpful!  :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 01:11:54 pm »
I test all the repairs on a fresh clean install of each version of Windows. After all it is meant to repair Windows and put things back to normal. Which means that it should be able to be ran on a system that isnt having trouble and everything will be fine.

The only time I have seen any trouble after using it is if there was bad sectors on the hard drive, or a 3rd party program gets in the way. Which happens a lot. Thats why with the new version I ask people to run it in safe mode.

So many times a user will disable their AV to keep it from getting in the way and even though it is disabled it is still blocking some of the repairs. I watched and tested it myself on a user computer where the karparsky AV was disabled but was still blocking one of the bat file of the repairs. So since some of the bat files where being blocked the repairs didnt run like they where suppose to and it caused problems instead.

Once I had he do it in safe mode instead, where no 3rd party program could get in the way, all the repairs ran like they should and it fixed the problems :wink:

The repair program only targets Windows. No other programs, the only time any files are touched are with the file permissions. Other than that 95% of the repairs are all registry related. The other 5% is some of the repairs like clearing out the temp folders, or repair windows updates where the old download cache is cleared.

Shane