Author Topic: Something is shutting down some of my security programs randomely  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Techone

• Bigfoot fan
    • View Profile
 Hi folks,
  Been in pc,s for quite sometime but have never had this problem before.   Running Windows 8.1, 1 tet drive, 8 gig ram., HP pc..
  My security programs are Norton Security newest version and also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I also have Maxa-Cookie Manager Pro..

If I run the Malwarebytes program in scan mode, before it finishes the scan run, it shuts down? Never did this before.  Norton Security full scan runs to finish but finds no problems..
 Maxa-Cookie program shuts down also after I surf the internet for awhile.  In the no scan mode, the Malwarebytes program runs just fine.  Malwarebytes program is compatible with norton Security.
 Note that before any of the programs shut down, you always get the notice, have to shut down, and check on line to see what may cause this problem  ect...

I feel that there is a malware root-kit somewhere thats doing this ??? Also note that I have had these programs for quite sometime and never had this problem with them ever.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Something is shutting down some of my security programs randomely
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:32:07 pm »
Could be an infection, or a bad sector on the hard drive. Since the system is crashing since you said you get the "and check on line to see what may cause this problem"

Both programs which you mention are working with files when the system crashes. So if something is on a bad sector that would explain it.

Open a cmd.exe window as administrator and put in
chkdsk C: /r

It will ask you if you want to run it at next boot say yes then reboot.

That will do a chkdsk on the drive and look for bad sectors, this will take a long time to finish if you have a large drive.

Once it is done it will log the chkdsk to the event viewer, let me know what that says. :wink:

Shane

Offline Techone

• Bigfoot fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:15:36 am »
 Today as another rootkit check, I ran Norton Eraser which is a free program.
 Note that no problems were found.

Per advice message I was requested to run chkdsk c: /r for a possible bad disk sector.
 What I did run was chkdsk / f c:  Which would repair any bad disk sectors within reason when found during scan.

I now need to wait to see if this does resolve my problem as no after scan notes showed a repair. If problem
does still exist I will run chkdsk again.
  Thank you

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:33:00 am »
To "repair" bad sectors you need to run chkdsk /r as the /f switch is just a file checker, but in the report it would show how many KBs in bad sectors.

chkdsk /r can't repair bad sectors, it only moves what data it can from them and "ropes them off" so no other data can be written to them, but data can be lost during this operation.

Offline Techone

• Bigfoot fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:00 pm »
 SOLVED  //////////// SOLVED  //////////// SOLVED
                                                                 I ended up having to do a full recovery.

Chkdsk was run and it would not go past 10%   .   I repeated this step many times but it continued this way.   I tried to cancel test to clear it but to no avail.
   Reboot and hit escape key to get to Start Menu. Selected and ran several different recovery dates but they would not recover.

This messing around went on for 1.5 days then I decided to run out of box recovery mode and today at this E.S.T. 4:30 P.M. everything is good. In fact everything is faster, better ect...
 In fact, I feel this should be done once every year to totally clean out the junk. while I was at it, I ran in diagnostics several tests especially a extensive DST test 3 hr. on hard drive and all tests passed.
  Anyways, thanks you folks for your input.  Much appreciated.
Techone   Happy Holidays to all.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »
The files must have really been screwed up but glad you got it sorted.