Author Topic: (Solved) BSOD when installing/uninstalling VPN network adapter  (Read 14769 times)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
(Solved) BSOD when installing/uninstalling VPN network adapter
« on: December 10, 2014, 07:10:50 pm »
Ok, so before I dig myself a hole, let me clarify my situation.  This is a Teamviever related issue, and I know it should be redirected to their support, but I've been back and forth with them for days, only to have them tell me to "uninstall my old version completely and attempt to reinstall the new one again", repeatedly. There are two issues with their "solution".  The version they are telling me to uninstall wasn't the one I was using prior to the issues starting, and their instructions completely miss the issue at hand.  The issue I'm having is not with a corrupt software installation, it's with a corrupt network adapter and it's associated driver.  Every time I attempt to install/uninstall Teamviewer, it goes fine, until it gets to the installation/uninstallation of the VPN Network Adapter.  Even if I try to uninstall it manually, same result.  I get a BSOD with a error code 0x139 (KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE). For the record, I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64.  Any ideas on how to rectify this issue and get Teamviewer back up and running (without having to do what would be my 4th Windows reinstall in the last 3 months) would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:49:36 pm by DanTheTechMan »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD when installing/uninstalling VPN network adapter
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »
Lets find out which file is causing the blue screen, use this program
http://www.resplendence.com/download/whocrashedSetup.exe

It should tell you what file caused the problem, let me know what it says.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:21:55 pm »
Is it the WAN Miniport adapter you are trying to uninstall or a VPN connection ?

As the WAN Miniport is part of Windows you wouldn't normally be able to uninstall it from Device Manager without it reinstating, but sometimes it isn't reinstated after the reboot.

The drivers could be corrupted and would produce a yellow alert next to them in Device Manager - this could be the cause of the BSOD ? - but you can use the repair tool in https://www.vpnhosting.cz/index.php/clanky/wan-miniport-repair-tool-solve-vpn-and-dial-up-error-code-720-and-similar-ppperrors.html to repair.

If there's a VPN set up then try removing that first http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/47188-virtual-private-network-connection-delete-windows-8-1-a.html

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »
Here is the WhoCrashed Report:

On Tue 12/9/2014 2:45:24 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120814-106656-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1509A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x139 (0x3, 0xFFFFD00106E1A450, 0xFFFFD00106E1A3A8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: The kernel has detected the corruption of a critical data structure.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Any hope of avoiding a complete windows reinstall?

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:41:04 pm »
It's been a couple of days now, and no reply.  For the record, I have yet to hear back from Teamviewer support, as well.  I rely heavily on Teamviewer, so someone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:58:41 am »
I take it none of my suggestions were any good.

Shane takes most of the weekend off for family time as he also has a computer repair business as well as servicing the forum, but he will get back to you - either later today or Monday depending upon his workload.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 02:07:15 pm »
Been a very long weekend lol

OK so looks like the vpn is causing the kernel to crash, do you get the blue screen when you try to remove it in safe mode as well? It shouldnt be running in safe mode so it should be safe to remove there, just make sure it is safe mode and not safe mode with networking.

Shane

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »
I've only previously tried safe mode with networking, so yes, i would get a BSOD there, as well.  Just took your advice, and it worked like a charm!  When reinstalling Teamviewer, should I omit the VPN adapter from installation, or is that safe to install now?

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 05:47:37 pm »
If you need the vpn then install it, if you dont then skip it.

Safe mode with networking loads the networking drivers, this is why it was still crashing there. But just normal safe mode doesnt load the network drivers, which means the vpn driver didnt get loaded so didnt cause the crash when you uninstalled it :wink:

Shane