Author Topic: Dirty C drive  (Read 8556 times)

Offline ITwannaBe

• View Profile
Dirty C drive
« on: December 16, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »
Hello,

This problem has come to my attention while trying to install iTunes. I had been having trouble installing, so I read that I should delete all the files from apple and start from scratch. However, I was unable to delete one of the files as it became corrupt. I kept receiving the error 0x80070091, so I tried to do a chkdsk c:/r. It told me that the drive was NTFS (ran in an elevated command prompt). Asked if I would like to schedule it on the next start up, I said Y(yes).

It never actually ran after any of my start ups so I looked into the registry. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlSession Manager my BootExecute had a message above the default autocheck autochk *. Something like autocheck //C??\\ I would have to look again after my next restart. As when I modify it to the default, it always fails to initialize the chkdsk and creates the line above that in my registry.

I have read every article on google and can not seem to fix it by myself. I downloaded the windows repair v2.10.2 in hopes of it potentially fixing it for me. Unfortunately it was unsuccessful, so I came here in the hopes of a cure.

Thanks for your replies,
ITwannaBe

Offline ITwannaBe

• View Profile
Re: Dirty C drive
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
Here are a few screen shots from the errors/system specs:

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:22:53 am »
Hi,
        You mean to say that you could not delete one file.
                   You could rename the file to some other thing, other than the actual name, and try to install. It should work.
The Bottom line is "Check your hardware first if it supports the task you try".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 01:31:18 am »
MS has a Fix it for unable to install/uninstall so see if you can reinstall iTunes after running it http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Your AV can also sometimes prevent installation so try the download/install in Safe Mode with Networking if still having problems, but I think you need to address the chkdsk problem first.

What do you get when you run chkdsk without any parameters which doesn't require a reboot ?

Have you run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt to see what that reports ?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors with a time stamp for the time of the failure ?

MS has a Hotfix you could run to see if that resolves the chkdsk problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975778

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 01:47:04 am »
Hi, Boggins, Could not rename fix the problem, as he reports that he could not delete only one file

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:44 am »
Hi, Boggins, Could not rename fix the problem, as he reports that he could not delete only one file

As the chkdsk /r is failing to run on the reboot, something else seems to be going on here and resolving that could resolve the iTunes install and file deletion problem.

It was the iTunes install failure that brought up the problem with the file deletion which could be a permissions issue, or corruption in the registry which the MS Fix it may be able to resolve - but I would go for resolving the chkdsk problem first.

Sometimes when a file cannot be uninstalled, renaming it can resolve just as attempting its uninstall/delete in Safe Mode can.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:37:28 pm »
The chkdsk sometimes has to be ran a 2nd time to get it to stick, not sure why. But the registry setting does look correct so it should be starting at the next boot up.

Chkdsk itself doesnt run at the boot up, chkdsk is the windows version, autochk is the one that runs outside of windows and is the one that should be doing the scan at startup. But if autochk is corrupt as well or missing from the windows system32 folder then that would explain why it isnt running.

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 04:12:40 pm »
The suggestion to run chkdsk without any parameters was to see if it finds any problems and what it recommends, but perhaps there'll be something in Event Viewer.

Offline jraju

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:18 am »
Hi, Wannabe has not said anything about the solutions or suggestions