Main Forum > General Computer Support

Can't install certain programs in Windows 7 64 bit - Pls help!!

(1/3) > >>

yamatosoul:
I'm having a big problem here and would really appreciate some help.  It all started last week when I tried reinstall Google Earth and was unable to.  I tried various links, different settings, etc., but nothing worked.  The installer would run, but nothing would happen.  Then, I found that more of my programs are either not updating or unable to install as well.  One of which of was Superantispyware.  It was able to update the definitions, but not the software itself.  I was also unable to install two of the Windows updates; Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656405).  I believe the one common thing all of these programs have is that they have to connect to the internet and stay connected in order to update and/or install.  I have tried running all the Fix it tools on the Microsoft website, starting in safe mode (can't connect to the internet anyway), and disabling all Start up items, but the problem continues.  Can someone please help me out with this?  I really don't want to reinstall Windows if I don't have to.  Thank you in advance.

Shane:
I wonder if the MSI installer is messed up on the system, or is it being blocked by the firewall.

Download and install this as a test (7-zip program that I use). It is an MSI installer, let me know how it goes :wink:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920-x64.msi

Shane

yamatosoul:

--- Quote from: Shane on May 10, 2012, 02:48:32 pm ---I wonder if the MSI installer is messed up on the system, or is it being blocked by the firewall.

Download and install this as a test (7-zip program that I use). It is an MSI installer, let me know how it goes :wink:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920-x64.msi

Shane

--- End quote ---
Well, I just did it, but I already had 7Zip installed, so, I don't know what it did exactly.

Shane:
Uninstall it. The see if it removed it. If it did then try to install it again and see if it works :-)

Shane

yamatosoul:

--- Quote from: Shane on May 10, 2012, 02:53:21 pm ---Uninstall it. The see if it removed it. If it did then try to install it again and see if it works :-)

Shane

--- End quote ---
No prob, Shane.  Reinstalled just fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version