Author Topic: reboots to command prompt  (Read 10708 times)

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
reboots to command prompt
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:16:44 am »
Hello Shane,
Very impressed so far though I haven't finished yet. The repair process was on about step 27 and it asked to reboot, which I did, and it came back up with the prompt C:\Windows\system32>

I did both the safe boot and ran the program in safe mode with networking, and I restarted in the same after it asked for the reboot.

Should I just try another restart?

Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit

Thanks,
 Pete

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
Re: reboots to command prompt
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:49:27 am »
all set for now, starting the process over, working fine

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:59:26 pm »
Did you ever find out what was causing that?

Shane

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 12:02:17 pm »
Hi Shane,

No, operator error?

I actually gave up on that computer (well the drive), put in a new hard drive and now doing operating system and all software. My wife allowed remote login by some company while I was gone to work and they appeared to have changed file permissions or something like that. All pictured, documents, Outlook.pst are gone (or hidden) and somel programs won't run (Adobe Acrobat , Quickbooks, and Outlook for starters).

I was hoping your program might work a miracle but no difference after running it; thanks for the effort though.

Pete

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 02:18:29 pm »
Sorry to hear about that company doing that. Sorry my program didnt help. But if the files where missing then there is no telling what they did with them. Even if they where hidden, if you had the system set to view hidden files you would have still seen them.

Need any help on anything just let me know :wink:

Shane

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
Thanks Shane, and of course I hadn't back up for a while. I thought I had it when I went into services.msc and changed Microsoft Application Identity - it was the only time Adobe Acrobat opened up correctly, after the remote incident. It only worked that one time.

I am playing with the drive on another junk computer that is off the network. It does show two drives now; I still think it is ownership, file permissions, or something like that and the files are there somewhere. FYI, I am a total hack and just Google all things to try and just trying to solve it by determination and time, but I have nothing to lose at this point.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »
I just finished up some work and was about to get a workout in, but if you have the drive in another system I can teamviewer into it and see what I find, and I can even use delete recovery software if the files are gone and see what I can recover :-)

If you want me to take a look just shoot me an email.

shane at tweaking :wink:

Shane

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »
Did the remote "help" delete the computer's own restore points

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »
wow, that would be great but I built a junk computer real quick (I have lots of spare parts here) and it isn't really ready to go on line. I could throw it in my computer, it has a hot swap bay.

But I'm really in no hurry if another time is better for you to take a quick look, I really hate to waste your time. I am really bad at typing also, REALLY slow - I responded ASAP believe it or not.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 03:26:37 pm »
I take weekends off to be with the wife and kids. So now would be the best time. First time in weeks I have had a free moment.

I just need it in a system as a secondary drive so I can do a delete scan and recover on it if I need to. :-)

Also by being in another computer I wont have to worry about any of the tools I need not working since the system was in bad shape.

Shane

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:34:37 pm »
ok, slow typer again. microsoft got involved and did a restore. I "think" the allotment for restores was set too small as that point is now gone. I had wanted to try it in safe mode and see if results were better.

so are you saying it is better for that drive to be in my computer as another drive or a junk computer? (which isn't happening quick due to the quick build i did)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 03:38:08 pm »
The main reason I want it in another system is because when doing a data recovery of deleted files, the data is till on the drive until some other data over writes it. So every time the system is ran and things are written to the drive you take a chance of some of the old data getting over written. When files are deleted they are not actually deleted. They are simply marked as free space so something else can write over them. So recovery software can read that data and recover the files.

So when it does recover the files it needs to copy the data, and we cant have it wrtie the data to the same drive in case it overwrites it, so we have it save the data to another drive. All of which we can do if it is in a system as a 2nd drive. We can copy the recovered data to the main drive without overwriting the old data on the old drive. :wink:

Shane

Offline granitepete56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 03:44:19 pm »
well, if you are still game we can try

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 03:46:25 pm »
Sure I have a little bit of time left before I head off for the weekend, and when I say head off I mean go inside and promise my wife I wont touch the computer unless it is an emergency lol (I am sort of a workaholic)

Shoot me the email and we will get started :-)

Shane